HybridZ

building a turbo header w/ sched 40 weld pipe

OlderThanMe

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi The merge collecter assembly, T-3 Flage, header flange, as well as one of the primaries were done in Pro-E. Are you looking for native files? if so do you have wildfire 3.0 as Pro files are not backwards compatable. Can you use a STEP file? Let me know and I can e-mail them directly to you. I can only ask that you use them for learning and not selling. All my parts I design are for my personal enjoyment and 1 offs. All my parts I do are done in 3-D on the computer first. Here is a rear strut with a disk conversion for an AP 2 piston caliper (same as a Lotus Esprit Front) using 300zx turbo axle shaft, bearings, parking brake and rotor. I guess thats a different page topic, sorry

rear_rev_b_inch_thumb.jpg

MONZTER,

I have solidworks student edition which will do .STEP files. I just got a student license to pro e and should have the software sometime next week.

I would love an opportunity to study some of your files. I will only be using the files to further my education. I understand that they are your intellectual property and using them for profit would be completely unethical.

I would really appreciate whatever you are willing to send me.

Thanks,

Mike

Been busy, just checked back. 26" hmmmm. That's some great tucking for that length of tubing! That Burns Program is nice. They are about 45 miles from me, I've referred people to there for years. I'm making a note of that length for future reference.

I think our N/A Header for our 2.0L was something like 26" as well. Strange how that works out! LOL

Ya, I thought that seemed a little long too at first, but given the amount of info they asked for, and some of the teams they work for, who am I to argue. The car is not being built for the dyno, but for the street and autocross. Looking at some of the old F-1 cars and Indy cars from back when turbos were not banned, it is interesting to see how long their primaries were - given the RPM range. I think short headers are probably popular for packaging and obvious OEM considerations. We'll see.

I think our N/A Header for our 2.0L was something like 26" as well. Strange how that works out!

Ideal primary length for a 4 or 6 cylinder engine under 4L in displacement is 30 to 32" measured from the back of the exhaust valve. Exhaust port length is about 4" so a primary of 26 to 28" is proper for a header. Guys like Jere Stahl, Doug Thorley, and Gale Banks figured this out decades ago. Someone at Burns figured how put that knowledge into a computer.

I would suspect that for an autocross or tight road course, the shorter the runner lenngth the better for better spool response - for limited rpm range use, paying attention to the length might pay a few dividends...

For some reason, I have the feeling that tuned long-tube turbo headers such as the one posted here that has everyone oogling and drooling is probably just as good as a short or log style manifold, even for spooling.

My theory (however incorrect it may be, or off the wall) is that since the tube is so long, between shifts, exhaust fumes would still be traveling throughout the tubes, and wont be such a harsh a cut-off as a short tube style header. so by the time you've shifted into gear, your engine will probably have made enough exhaust fumes to chase the ones that are leading their way down to the turbo from the previous gear that you were shifting from.

I dunno if that's how it works, but meh. Maybe I should pick up some books.

anyone got any good ones?!

in the book "Turbocharging" by Hugh Machines, it quotes says that tuned is the way to go for high boost apps.

"One of the best examples of this was a 2.0 liter BMW that Gary Knudsen at Mclaren Engines developed for Can-Am racing. The engine produced 540 HP on gas with Mark ait-to-air intercoolers and a simple log type manifold. Gary replaced the log manifold with tuned headers and picked up 60 HP. When he adjusted the cam specs to take advantage of the better exhaust, the engine produced 640 HP on the dyno and 600 on the track! When Gary installed the tuned headers, throttle response also improved tremendously."

"He found that if the exhaust pipes were connected to the seperate sides of the divided ehaust housing so that the exhaust pulses entering each side were evenly spaced, throttle response improved even more. Though this arangement didn't add power, "tubo lag" was all but gone."

i think we are on one of the right paths. there is just to many to take to get to the end.

jimbo