HybridZ

The Holset turbo FAQ

OlderThanMe

• 2 weeks later...
on my first hy35 from an 06 dodge running 20-25lbs boost and had the oil pump set a bit higher than stock oil psi the turbo started smoking after about a year, so rebuilt it lowered the oil psi back to stock put it back in. Installed turbo timer, set at 3min at every shutdown holset started smoking again after about 4 months. Bought hy35 #2 running 25lbs boost, stock oil psi, 3min cool down at shutdown, turbo started smoking again after about 3-4 months! Rebuilt this one and now only run 10lbs boost.

The chart above shows a waste gate of 36lbs? With my boost controller open ALL the way the most I could get from this turbo was 26lbs boost. I think I've been maxing this baby out. I never really noticed that the controller was maxed out. I was just driving and setting it to 25, which was just a %$#@ hair from maxed.

Morel of the story Holset hy35 good for 10-17lbs, but your pushing it if you go higher. Now I DRIVE my car, this is my daily driver. I love this car, I love to drive it, I love the thumbs up I get down the road, I love the power, and I use the power ALLOT!

I'm going to buy a Garrett GT35R next week $1300 brand new ball bearing. My first hy was $500, the 2nd was $400. I'm done with them.

it to me sound like you ran in to some bad luck or you had your timer on to long... i have been running for the last 2 year on my hy-35 at up to the 45psi range and she has not even hiccuped... i turbo time till she is cool down to 350 and shut down... the only other mods that i have on my truck is a 5" stack kit, 250 hp inj and the edge juice with attitude... sound like you just had a bit of bad luck... also a friend of mine is running a 06 auto with the same charger up to 55psi he is all stock execpt for the smarty... mind you he is not runing it around all the time like that but i have seen her just a singing... well good luck with the 06 i am going to stick with my 2nd gen 24valve...

mark

• 3 months later...
Since this is the FAQ I figure I'd post my question in here:

How well do the internal wastegates work on these turbos? I'm thinking of putting the H1E with the T4 flange on my Rx7..

The HE351 that I have creeps a bit on my 2.8L, but having ported it out, I can say that they are built very well.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just reading though this thread, as I happened to get a HX35 yesterday. I removed it from my cousins truck as he upgraded to a HY35. As far as the boost thing I can say this for certain.

The HX35 runs 26psi STOCK, thats what the factory wastegate is set at and what he ran on his truck without any issues for 100K miles....the turbo still looks perfect without any shaft play. The USED HY35 was in good shape as well.

He is going to install a boost controller on the truck, I believe high 30's is common for these turbos on the diesel trucks.

Anyone got a map for the he351? I was told it was an HYfrom an 04 dodge but later found out its an HE.

Picture111-1.jpg

Picture108-1.jpg

Thats what it looks like, its bigger far as compressor housing size than an HX or HY. Was told the compressor wheel is 2mm larger than an HX but has the same size turbine wheel as an HY. It spools pretty late on my vg30 but would like to know what its capable of HP wise. peace.

hey phil love your vids just a quick quiestion do you or did u have any wheel spin at 15lbs on the hy35 and also do u dd it on the 25lbs im trying to decide if the hy35 is good enough to do about 15lbs daily and not have it poop out after a year