HybridZ

Need help choosing 5.0 swap parts

MY77Z

hi guys,

well, this is my first thread in your great forums, my name is ali and im from kuwait, i have a 1977 280z that i bought 2 monthes ago, so far im not happy with the L6's performance, ive been in the ford world for the last 8 years, and i have a 1989 mustang that im not drivin now, so i thought about swapping the 5.0 engine in my Z starting this week.... here are the mods on my 5.0 engine and everything is goin into the Z

List of Ali's Mods:

induction:

1- edelbrock performer RPM intake manifold

2- BBK 70mm throtle body

3- BBK 70mm EGR plate

4- BBK cold air kit

5- Grenatelli 75mm mass air sensor

6- 1.72 Cobra rocker arms

fuel:

1- BBk 255 lb/h fuel pump (in tank)

2- NOS stage 1 fuel pump (exterior pump)

3- NOS fuel filter

4- BBK fuel pressure regulater

5- Accell 30 lb/h injectors

ignition:

1- MSD 6AL ignition box

2- MSD blaster coil

3- MSD distributer cover

4- MSD 8.5mm spark plugs wires

5- NGK (V)style spark plugs (cold)

6- SUMMIT battery trunk mounting kit

transmition and rearend:

1- Tremec T5 interior parts

2- PRO 5.0 short shifter

3- Centerforce dual friction clutch kit

4- Ford motorsport 3.73 gear set

5- Jeg's rear end cover

Power adder:

1- NOS 150-180 HP nitrous shot

2- NOS remote bottle opener

that's about it for now, tell me what you guys think? and what performance should i expect from the nitrous powered 500Z....the car will be a street/strip car.... if you have any comments or advices, dont hesitate...

thanks

Ali

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ali,

Welcome to Hybridz (I always wanted to be the first to welcome someone).

Sounds awesome, and I particularly like your inthusiasm.

Remember to post lost of pics.

By the way i bet petrol is cheap in your part of the world, how much do you pay (out of curiosity).

Cheers

well petrol is about four to five times cheaper than the states, i spent 3 years in the states and used to pay 40 bucks to fill my stang, here i pay 9 bucks maybe , we have 3 types of petrol

unleaded 95 is about 50 cents a gallon

unleaded super 98 is about 70 cents a gallon

unleaded ultra super 100 is about 90 cents a gallon :)

i know its not fair but i wish i could do something about it :)

peace

Well, I'm not familiar with small block swaps, but it looks like you've got a good start there. I would be concerned about the amount of torque you'll be pushing through the Z and looking into strengthening the chassis a bit. Wouldn't want to romp on it and twist something.

Ah yes, you will need an "R200" differential that came in later Z cars. (All 240z's had R180's and a very rare few had R190/R192). Search R200. There is a sticky list saying what ratios there are and where they come from. The most common numbers are 3.54, 3.7, 3.9. Simply get one of those differentials, it's moustache bar, the axles, and maybe there are some other things (Search!) and put a Powerbrute in it (look for powerbrute groupbuy in this forum). There you go, you have an LSD.

Rest of the searching is up to you!

whats up man. i spent a year in kuwait, and didnt find the drag strip until my last few months. i was absolutly blown away by the beautifull cars at the track. i think i still have some pics of a big block z car racing a big block 77 celica.

hey, found one. this is from 2000. sorry about the crappy pic. its a scan.

663468_152_full.jpg

You might not be getting any response because your title is so vague. Maybe "Need help choosing 5.0 swap parts" would be better. I'll change the title for you this time, next time you post make sure the title reflects the subject of the post.

If you're still looking for opinions, I think your Z will haul ass with those parts in it!

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you looking at things to prepare the Datsun for the swap, or recommendations for what to use from the MUstang?

Use all of it. I say while the motor is out, put on some decent alum cylinder heads and cam it. You could make it really easy by using the matching Performer RPM heads, but there are many options. The RPM is a bit extreme of an intake to have with factory 5.0 heads, and is costing you torque when you aren't on the nitrous.

:) thanks for all the replies.....well i think i have a R200 diff on my 280z, or not? with a 3.55 ratio.....for the heads and cam, im gettin a set of AFR 185 heads and o mild crower camnext month, should be ok up to 6800 RPM :)

also im not gonna stick with the datsun rear-end, gonna drive the car until i blow the rear-end, later on im puttin a 8.8'' ford, i think it will handle more torque.....with all the mods and juice, the mustang used to run a best ET of 11.72 @ 125, not sure what will the Z run......

skillet, glad you liked kuwait, we have alot of sick cars here, hope you come again one day

and thanks jmortensen for changin the title .....

thanks again

Ali :icon28:

you cant post them from your computer. have to host them on a server somewhere. try photobucket or something like that.

and i did enjoy Kuwait and would like to come back some time. maybe when the world decides to relax a little. all the world leaders should build hybrid Z cars.

wait, never mind. all we need is the republic of LSx Zcars going to war with the JDM swap coalition.

thanks,

ill try it later, its 5.35 AM in kuwait now, better go to bed, got work to do on my Z.....heheheheheh leaders buildin hybird Z, that would be fun to watch .....well kuwait is not concerned with whats goin on at all.....

thanks again

salam = peace

The AFR 185's are great, I have a set too. Beware- make sure you have your pistons flycut for clearance, or just buy new ones. Everyone I talked to said you cannot use them without more clearance, even with the factory cam.

I haven't been to Kuwait yet. I spent 4 days in Bahrain last year, and didn't get to see all that I wanted to because the guys with me were lame. We angered the Taxi Mafia while we were there somehow. They have angry cabbies. Kuwait's on my someday list.

if the R200 is strong enoug, then i dont have to get a 8.8, but im worried about hard launches on the track with slicks or drag radilas ???? the axles wont break???? been told that the 300zx axles are strong enough to handle the power, but is it a direct replacement or do i have to modify something????