HybridZ

Vinyl graphics or strip removal question

mark

I'm trying to pull some 10 inch wide strips off an 05 mustang that look like a 12 year old put them on the car.

I've been using a heat gun and my finger nails and an assortment of plastic scrapers. At this rate the car will be an antique by the time I'm finished. Does anyone have any experience or tips for doing this?

I need help!

Thanks

My neighbor owns a business doing vynil graphics...

He had panel van that he was removing the graphics from. He used one of those propane powered tornado massive flame heater things and put it like 3 feet from the side of the van and after it being there for 20 minutes he started peeling it off. It only took about 3-4 heatings to finish. Who knows what this would do to your car though.

Mark I spent about 25 total hours removing some graphics off an old Nissan parts truck I purchased.

I started just using plastic scrapers and a heat gun.

I ended up using some Acetone to wipe over the graphics at one end so it had time to dry while I worked the heat gun from the other end.

This ended up working well but as I said, still about 25 hours of time.

Use your heat gun on a low setting.

I found the hotter settings melted the vinyl and just left more goo to come back and clean up.

When working for a NASCAR crew, part of the tasks that I performed was installing and susequently removing vinyl graphics. We used a heat gun. A real heat gun. You had to get it hot as to be nearly uncomfortable to handle. And it would, in most cases, pull right off. If it was only warm, it would chip off.

I noticed that the older the vinyl the tougher it would be.

That is a kewl tool yoko. Do you chuck it into a drill?

Have you used it on a painted surface? I think helmets have a poly vinyl coating on them. Looks interesting. Might be a long day with wide auto stripes though.

I bought a 3m product today, the eraser wheel or something like that. It is about the consistancy of the gummy erasers I used in grade school. I was very skeptical of putting this to my paint.

I started on the spoiler, I can get a take off part the same color as the car for about a 100 bucks so it seemed like a good place to start.

I followed the directions and it was amazing. It did not even skuff the clear coat. Neat product.

One foot gone, 30 more feet to go................

Thanks guys.

Do not use an eraser wheel with an air grinder. I did this a few years back and the eraser wheel came apart at like a 100mph and almost took my face out. They make a special air tool that rotates at a lower rpm or adjust your air pressure. Other than that, they work great for stripe tape and double sided tape from mldgs. Just my 2 cents.

Do not use an eraser wheel with an air grinder. I did this a few years back and the eraser wheel came apart at like a 100mph and almost took my face out. They make a special air tool that rotates at a lower rpm or adjust your air pressure. Other than that, they work great for stripe tape and double sided tape from mldgs. Just my 2 cents.

I read the directions and the max speed on these things is 4000 rpms.

They work best at around 2000rpms +or- 200 rpms

It would not be good to have this thing come apart in your face.