HybridZ

carb throttle: cable center pull to replace ball/shaft linkage

JaysZ

anyone heard of this place? Ermish Racing.. maybe some of you 510 guys have heard of them. they had an auction on ebay recently for a twin mikuni setup that i'd like to get for my triples but what are your opinions?

this is a quote from the auction:

"FINALLY A REPLACEMENT TO THE ORIGINAL MIKUNI LINKAGE KIT. CABLE CENTER PULL KIT THAT ELEMENATES THE OLD BALL AND SHAFT STYLE. EASY TO INSTALL AND EVEN EASIER TO KEEP THE CARBS SYNK'ED. SMOOTH PEDAL FEEL WITH A HEAVY DUTY CABLE AND TEFLON LINED COVER. ONE ADJUSTMENT SCREW FOR BALANCE AND ONE SCREW TO SET THE IDLE. ERMISH-RACING.COM"

and a pic:

ff_1.JPG

20_1.JPG

Their buy it now was not that much better than what you could get the TWM throttle cable linkage for...

I put a quadrant onto my standard linkage and removed the balljoint sections form the pedal to the common bar on the manifold, and it's silky smooth now. Did that for about $15 Quadrant, a junkyard 200SX Throttle Cable, and a modification to the throttle pedal involving a drill, vise, and hacksaw....

Their buy it now was not that much better than what you could get the TWM throttle cable linkage for...

I put a quadrant onto my standard linkage and removed the balljoint sections form the pedal to the common bar on the manifold, and it's silky smooth now. Did that for about $15 Quadrant, a junkyard 200SX Throttle Cable, and a modification to the throttle pedal involving a drill, vise, and hacksaw....

Tony, I have a drill, vise and hacksaw, plus there is a wrecking yard not far from me (200SX throttle cable). Can I get you to elaborate a little more or do I need to wait until the next time I get a chance to see you in person?

Dragonfly

Instead of using the balljoint linkage from the pedal through the firewall, to the bellcrank, to the "finger linkage" to actuate the main rod that holds all the downlinks to the individial carbs, I took all that out and....

Drilled the pressed rivet side of the ball on the top of the throttle pedal. Knocked it out with a punch, leaving a hole about EXACTLY the size the 200SX throttle cable needs to snap into! Ohh, how convienient---but situated wrong in regards to plane of action. So I heated theend of the pedal where the balljoint formerly was, and bent it 90 degrees to line it up with the hole in the firewall where the bellows and throughrod goes. It bends just right (I used to have a photo posted online, but forgot where it was). To let the 200SX cable go in properly I had to cut a slot from the end of the throttle pedal to the hole where the ball was drilled out (for the cable to slide through). Slid the cable through the hole, snapped the retainer from the end onto the pedal, and loosened the throttle pedal stop screw in preparation for the new position of "full throttle". The pedal drops considerably the way I did it, making it much closer to the height of the brake pedal..."how convienient"...

Next, I took the quadrant, which fits on any 10mm rod, and slid it onto the end of my Triple's Linkage holding rod, and screwed the 200SX throttle cable holder to the top of one of the Mikuini Float Bowl Cover using the existing screws. The end at the firewall simply screws into the firewall using the two sheetmetal screws from the 200SX, looks stock, and covers the stock hole nicely!

From that point it was a matter of adjusting the pedal stop, cable length, and quadrant for the proper tension, response, and full throttle range. Much nicer pedal feel, IMO.

It's been on the "Shark Car" for quite a while. It makes it nice to switch between induction systems, and makes for an easy way to convert to one of those 240SX throttle bodies on an EFI manifold, without any cutting or otherwise hacing the existing throttle body, I already have a cable, so it hooks directly to most any current T/B out there! As Borat would say: "Very Nice!"

LOL

JaysZ,

This does not probably help, but, I have not used their product, but it does look a bit like the cable going from my throttle pedal to my triples (but mines a twin cable set-up). A couple of the bits in the photo you posted, are the arms that go onto the spline on the Mikuni. The cable set-up does make for a smooth action.

Cheers

Ian