HybridZ

Changing the bolt pattern on a 78Z

Guest kvanderstel

Guest kvanderstel

I've got a 78Z with a small chevy in it. What does it take to change the wheel bolt pattern from a 4 lug to perhaps a standard chevy pattern, maybe 5 on 5 or 5 on 5 1/2? Maybe the pattern 70-72 Chevelles had or something?

I've got a 78Z with a small chevy in it. What does it take to change the wheel bolt pattern from a 4 lug to perhaps a standard chevy pattern, maybe 5 on 5 or 5 on 5 1/2? Maybe the pattern 70-72 Chevelles had or something?

Chevelle/Camaro/Vette had 5 on 4.75" bolt patterns.

Changing the rears to a 5 on 4.75" is pretty easy, the front is another story.

Modern Motorsports sells the setup for the rear to be a 5 on 4.5" pattern (Ford/Mopar) and using a front Z32 hub is also 5 on 4.5".

Hope this helps.

i had Ross at Modern Motorsports redrill my rear stub axles for the 5 x 4.5 and they were done well but i didn't like the look of them because the placement of the holes looked goofy. what i did was take them to a machine shop in town and had them weld on extra metal to the flat spots on the stubs and then machine them round. it cost me about $150 and now they look great. i think if you contacted Ross about the front hubs he could drill just about any bolt pattern into his aluminum front hubs and you could get a local machine shop to make your stub axles round, fill in the old stud holes and drill you a new bolt pattern. it may sound like a bit of work but i think it would have to be done that way because with the larger bolt pattern your stud holes would be that much closer to the edges of the square stub axle.