HybridZ

rustoleum...got it right this time

OlderThanMe

Guest Death69

whats your ratio of mineral spirits to rustoleum? and now that Rustoleum makes automotive rattle can paint, do you think that would create a finish as good as OTM's?

OTM that is awesome! To the kind of pple that are on a budget paint job, that is a show car paint job. Atleast it is to me.

I now for sure know that I am goin to be painting my car with gloss black rustoleum.

Side note, If you then the paint out more rolling it on, wont it have less of a orange peal look? Just what Im thinking, I have no experience at all in paint so go ahead and correct me if im wrong.

This paint DOES have larger ripples in it... It is only 2 thick layers of paint you are looking at at that shiny part. After sanding it is probably closer to 1.5 layers of paint.

You should also sand with higher than 600 grit before you polish it.

I won't call it show quality but it would look like a decent paint job that has been polished.

You will learn that wetsanding is a love/hate relationship. Just make sure that the paint is 100% flat before you polish it!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, since this sounds like a good investment, I need some exercise, and already spent $150 on cool toys for this project.

I was wondering, if I were to take a small, 4 or 6 inch roller and put a small amount of paint on it...probably in an inverse color such as white (to go on black). If I could do something like a brushed fine water splatter-like decal/pinstripe. You know, sorta like a sponge painted stripe. Oh hell, I'll use a sponge...

Anyway, I was wondering if it actually as easy as it sounds. Or if there is some layer trick or sanding technique I won't be abiding by.

Just thought of it, so I had to post it up.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am new to hybridz. I will be posting the pics of the 77 280z I just purchased a couple of months ago in the newbie section. But I thought I should add these links I found on the net for the DIY paint job using a roller or similar method. Here ya go. Enjoy:

http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

http://www.bryanswebpage.com/Paint/index.htm

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0707_1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job/index.html

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s97/gfeighny/

I thought maybe because it has fully cured, it would be harder to take off? Anyways, now I just need to get over this food poisoning and the flu and I'll be back in business :)

For polishing, what kind of polisher did you use?

I don't see why it would be harder to wetsand the paint after it has fully cured... Probably make it better to wetsand.

It's a lot of work but it can look good.

I thought maybe because it has fully cured, it would be harder to take off? Anyways, now I just need to get over this food poisoning and the flu and I'll be back in business :)

For polishing, what kind of polisher did you use?

The rustoleum isn't that hard to take off...

For polising...

an old T-shirt cut into strips and Mother's aluminum polish. Definitely not the best but it fit my budget.

I'd sand more (up to 1500 grit) and use real paint polish(more fine) if I were to do it again.

• 4 months later...

I've been reading about this painting technique for a few years or so now. I've seen a lot of pictures of the results that people with patience and proper techique produce. Some are truely amazing. There is no question some of these jobs are show quality. It is possible with patience to get perfection. I was quoted $10,000 to paint my 260z from one shop. I could get that paint job done and it still not be perfect (it better be though for $10K) Once it left the shop I could get a scratch or two and my perfect paint isn't perfect "show quality" any more. But with a roller I could just fix the scratches myself and have perfection again.

I think I'm using Interlux brightside black on my car. It's boat paint for god sakes but you can't argue with the results.

This is going to be my next project in white gloss professional. I will mix it with 20% Mineral Spirits. I'm also thinking of using their Rusty Metal Primer. Any one here try to use that primer?

I realize this was posted a while ago, but I might as well warn you. I painted my daily driver's hood with the white gloss early in the winter of '07. It was almost a perfect match with the factory white. Now, after seeing a lot of sun, it has taken on a little bit of a pink hue. I don't think it would be noticeable without the stock white there for reference, but it has changed.

I ended up creating my own "perl" white color. I used three gloss white qts and one almond qt. I have not painted anything yet but I like the off white effect when I look at it in the container.

I'm not looking for perfection since this is mostly my screw around fun car but I will certainly post before and after pictures here when I get around to doing the body work. I'll be spraying by the way.

I realize this was posted a while ago, but I might as well warn you. I painted my daily driver's hood with the white gloss early in the winter of '07. It was almost a perfect match with the factory white. Now, after seeing a lot of sun, it has taken on a little bit of a pink hue. I don't think it would be noticeable without the stock white there for reference, but it has changed.