HybridZ

rustoleum...got it right this time

OlderThanMe

well I finally figured out why my rustoleum looke milky when I was wetsanding...because it was. I tried polishing some of the red paint I had put on the car and was quite dissapointed. It looked very milky like it had a white film over it. Well I grabbed a little piece of 600 grit paper and just for fun started sanding on a part of my hood that I had painted black a long time ago. WEll I just kept sanding and it got more milky looking. I was like what the heck is going on??

I kept wet sanding it with the 600 grit and I broke through the milky layer and got into BLACK!!! I sanded a little section and the polished it with my aluminum polish.

BOOM!!!b65529349.jpg

I was soo pleased I went out and bought all new 4" wide high density foam rollers(I used 2" wide ones last time, bad idea.), $8 of gloss black, a few clear plastic cups for mixing paint, and I still had some left-over mineral spirits.

I the second coat of black is drying on the roof overnight tonight and I'll sand tomorrow sometime and add another two coats. I'll add another coat after that for insurance and be into wetsanding the roof.

For someone like me that has plenty of time and no money...this is the best $35-$40 paintjob out there!!! Well maybe $50 if you go through sandpaper quick...

IF I make it to ZdayZ then I won't be laughed at when I say "I painted it with mailbox rustoleum" :-D

I say practice with it a little bit. Rolling with the 4" roller is only 2000% easier than with the smaller roller. I am going to sand back over this part and add more layers of paint. There are only 2 layers where I polished it. Try to get it really even and that will save a LOT of time in sanding.

Not quite half a layer...It depends on how much thinner you use I guess. You WILL know when you get through the milky layer. Te red was harder to see but with the black it is really easy to see.

I think Big-Phil should sand and polish his sprayed-on rustoleum paintjob...It will look great!!!

Plan on about 20 man-hours of final wet-sanding at least...I should get an orbital polisher wheel I guess...but that would not be cheap. Having friends over and feeding them pizza is much cheaper than an orbital polisher... :-) cheap is the name of the game... :-D

And since I work at a pizza place I get it half price...:-)

b65534824.jpg

This is what your rustoleum should look like before any finishing. This took a long time to figure out how to get it this smooth with the mixtures...

that is wonderful how your paint came out, and damn cheap too. i myself am doing the spray method. unfortunately it here are my costs:

1. compressor (180gal. 2 stage, unaware seller) $50

2. spray guns (gravity HVLP) $15 each (2)

3. air filter (for paint setups) $25

4. mask $25

5. plastic sheeting (12ftx50ft) $10

6. masking tap $5

7. rustolem paint (4qts) $30

8. mineral spirits (1gal) $7?

9. sandpaper $20

10. orbital sander $20

11.who know what else!

btw, im adding this to my favorites list. i really want to keep with this write up to compare

good timing, I was planning on picking up some of that paint tomorrow (except i'm gonna spray it on) to paint a trailer I just got.

Did you use any primer, or just clean>sand>clean>roll? the top picture looks great, all that sanding would drive me crazy on a whole car, but great results for elbow grease instead of cash. I'll post my trailer when i'm done. It's amazing what a wetsand and polish will do to dull paint.

All I did was sand the paint and paint over it. I had stripped the roof and put thr red rustoleum over it before but the hood still had the original paint on it. It seems that the rustoleum sticks just as well to bare metal as it does to sanded paint. It sticks to anything!!!

I only use the professional paint. I read on other sites that people were having problems with the regular rustoleum.

I heard that with the spraying the mineral spirits evaporate before it hits the car so you have to use extra or something. Rolling the car is so easy I would not want the mess of spraying it. I can get it just as even as spraying with the roller with my bit of practice. plus your enviroment does not have to be 100% sanitary...just dry-sand the car outside...learned that the hard way and got yelled at for coating the garage in dust... oh well.

come to think about it, i used the "stops rust" version on my civic 2 years ago and it never did chip or peel, but im curious to wetsand it and buff it. anyhow im going to use the "stops rust" on the z just because i have had good results on my civic. also i just got done with some more bodywork on the z and it is really coming along.

big phil which version of rustoleum did you use?

OTM how long do you think until you get the whole car done, im pretty excited to see the entire car finished.

Let me know when you get to the 12,000 grit! It'll shine like chrome.

Do you guys think this would work with any other kind of paint besides rustoleum? They have a large selection of colors but nothing quite like what I'm looking for, and like OTM I'm cheap but have a lot of spare time.

I tried dupli-color paint and I don't suggest it. Was like 4 bucks for the can... and I painted my roof about two coats... It polishes up pretty good with some 1500 and rubbing compound but it was very thin and I can't see it lasting long. the rustoleum seems like a more economical choice.