HybridZ

How do you turn your 240Z into a BRE spec Z?

MOTORHEAD427

I`m pretty sure this has been discussed many times before me.

And I really didn`t want to annoy you HybridZ vets with this question so I made a research about the subject.

Well, this is the only thread I was able to find:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=667928

But it didn`t help much.

I have the "How to turn your Datsun into a hotrod" book but it didn`t have much info on the BRE Z.

Now the only thing I know about the BRE car is that it had a very stock L24(which is good news to me because I want to keep my L24) but they replaced the stock cam with a better one.What kind of cam was it?

Another question is, this car quite possibly had a 4 speed tranny. What were the gears?

I`m seriously thinking about building an exact replica of John Morton`s 240Z. It would be great if you posted links to the pictures of the original car.Especially the interior and the engine.

Any help will be much appreciated.

ERIC

• 2 weeks later...
I think they used the "C" cam for the racing...maybe? The "C" cam was supposedly Nissan's racing cam. (largest of the stock cams)

I have one...they came in the L26 engines...

try looking on zhome....lots of info there on the BRE cars...and pictures.

Where did you come up with that??? C Production cars weren't limited in their cam selection. They ran HUGE cams. Enormous cams. The C cam is tiny tiny tiny. Plus it wasn't even introduced until 74. The Z had already won 3 championships by then.

Well, whatever they used in those cars must have been manufactured before`74.

Here`s a couple of questions:

What year was the BRE car built?

Has it been upgraded anytime before the release of 260Z?

I want to build an "exact" replica of the car.The body and the paint is the easy part. My concern is how the interior and especially the engine looked like.

Also, was the car a 4 speed or 5 speed? what were the gears? It`s not easy to find reliable information. Brock Enterprizes now belongs to Nissan and they are not very helpful. Again, any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

ERIC

Lots of misinformation here regarding what the C-Production Morton/BRE car was...

I can assure you it is not "really close to stock".

If you are wanting a REAL EXACT replica, plan on spending between $32 to $50K on the vehicle. Chassis prep with a full cage and seam welding will run close to $10K alone (JohnC's Beta Motorsports can do that work for you in SoCal, as well as the Fabricator that did Ron Carter's car)

Interior? White Paint over a gutted interior, with a matte-black dash that is all-business...

Figure the engine will run you another $10 to 15K. This L24 would be making around 325 at the crankshaft, at around 7500-8000 rpms. You are talking lift in the area of .620", and duration at .050 nearing 290...

Transmission? Direct Drive five speed from Nissan Competition---"A" Box.

It goes on from there.

Oh Jeez... :rolleyesg I didn't read the first part, I was just responding to the C cam bit. The CP engines were nowhere near stock. It wasn't just a camshaft. Buy the How to Modify your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine. Read that and it will give you some idea of what you're in for to build a CP motor. Like Tony said, the engine is probably $15K. Then you get into the rest of the car. I think his estimate to build the whole car of $50K is probably on the low side, especially if you can't do all of the work yourself.

There's an old article on the BRE 240Z in a book called "The 240 & 260Z Gold portfolio" published by Brooklands books. It talks about some of the details that went into making the car and it may still be available through MSA.

I`ll definetely check that out. And thanks for all the info.

So, basically, this is about a $80K project. I was guessing it would cost about $35-$40K including the shell.:(

Thanks.

ERIC

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

The best way is to buy my BRE motor. It has been started regularly

but has sat happily in a garage since its owner was killed in 1971. I bought it from his sons friend in 1980 and I have never driven the car on the road. Twice around the yard then back in the garage. I am now building a supercharged 3.048 liter motor for the car. I do not need to sell the motor

so only a motorhead can buy it if I decide to sell.

John