HybridZ

question about using sleeves...

Ok a little background. I have a sbc 400 block bored 40 over and this is the second time I have had the number 8 cylinder develope pin holes into the water jacket. So I am obviously pushing the blocks too far. So what I wanted to find out is if I have the #8 cyklinder sleeved are there any drawbacks? I have heard that the sleeve runs hotter. Is it significant? Do you guys think this is a workable solution?

I've had 400 blocks sleeved to save them because they are getting harder and more expensive to find. I'm sure you know temp is a big factor with the "siamese" cylinders but I havent seen a noticable difference in mine with 3 sleeves and a .30 bore. Make sure you use a very reputable machine shop that KNOWS what they are doing, shope that do alot of industrial and agricultural motors sleeve on a regular basis, and have your block checked for warpage and magnafluxed AFTER the sleeves are installed. I use a mid 90's 4.3 litre w/ac and towing radiator with as much electric fan as I could fit , a 160 degree thermostat, edlebrock aluminum water pump and "wetter watter" additive with 50/50 coolant mix. I have an TH-350 trans or sometimes a 2spd powerglide ( I switch to 2spd for drag sometimes) with a seperate cooler. My motor is 10.5-1 iron head and I keep 160-185 temps with an occasional 200 in heavy traffic and 95+ degree days.

sleveing a block can distort the adjacent cylinder. The advice given is correct. In the old days before aftermarket blocks, we used to sleeve all 8 cylinders on 400's for sprint car engines. I've personally run several sleeved 400 blocks with 14 or 15 to 1 compression on alky with no problems.

Well, that's good to know. Thank you! my machine shop will have to get it sent out to get it done properly since I know he doesn't have magnaflux equipment. I should probably have the walls checked in the other cylinders as well, before I do it to see if I need any more sleeves.