HybridZ

Anyone Been to Dubai?

BillZ260

After the first of the year I am going to be working in Dubai 3 weeks a month for the next 6-8 months. I'll probably get to run over to Aberdeen a couple of times but definitely mostly will be in Dubai.

I am just wondering if anyone here has spent any time there? I am excited about going and want some insight as to what to expect, good cheap eateries, cool things to see and do.

So far it looks like I will be spending what litte free time I have doing laundry, and splitting time between here, http://www.skidxb.com/, and here http://www.dubaiautodrome.com/autodrome/default.htm. I'm hoping to set asside enough of my per diem to vist them fairly often. Ski/Snowboarding is about $20 US per hour or so, and I sent an email to the autodrome on activities/prices, didn't see too much on their site for those. I did see that they have a "Auto Test" that looks pretty popular. I hope they start another session up in Jan. Looks fun!

Anyway, just lookign for your thoughs and opinions.

Thanks!

Buy arabian gold while there. A friend of mind stayed there for a couple months. Haggled the guy down on a ring from $500 to $55. Got some paperwork to show authenticity and descpriptions of stones, quality. Got it appraised stateside for a little over $2000. Gave it to the wife as an anniversary present. Haggling is part of the deal over there so never pay full price for an item...Services I am not sure of...See if you can get down to where they are building this huge man made island. Shaped like a palm tree I think. Absolutely massive. Multi million dollars houses and shops going up there. Suppose to be another project that is shaped like all the different continents as well. Not sure how far along that one is. There will be lots of old datsuns around there. I am not suggesting digging around in the junkyard but keep your eyes open for a 240K or KGC110. Could pick it up cheap and ship back if you had time...

Good to know about the cars (and gold), i may just hit some desert junk yards if they have them. I'll be taking lots of pics of the local $$$ cars and make sure to keep you guys up to date on anything cool i find. I think our apartments are somewhat close to the beach area's that those Islands are being constructed.

Been there several times but for quick weekend getaways when I lived in Kuwait. Probably the most liberal and progressive arab state and you will be surpised at how advanced the place is. GM80 is right about the gold. Make sure you go to the "gold souk", if nothing else, to see it but if you can buy you will get some good bargains (relative to US prices). Dont go looking for 14K though :D :D

Of all things you can buy I go nuts shopping for handwoven silk rugs too. I bought a beautiful handwoven Persian silk rug for 1/3rd of what it would have run me in the states and have bought a couple of nice machine made wool rugs for the house for about half of what they cost here.

Thanks for the insight guys. On the rugs, how did you get them home? I know getting anything that fits in the luggage is easy, but I'm not sure what to expect export wise on larger items, such as rugs, car parts, or any other odd thing I might happen across, fall in love with and need to have at home?

I've been there a few times also, while on cruise. I second everyone's advice on going to the gold souk. Be aware that the gold over there is very red, it looks like the cheesy fake stuff you see at wal mart over here. That is because our gold here isnt 24k, the real stuff looks more towards an orange color than the yellow gold we're used to seeing.

I'd also suggest the spice souk, really good deals over there on everything. I bought a kilo of Iranian saffron for 80 bucks 5 years ago. Killer deal.

Keep your head on a swivel while over there, always be with at least 1 other friend. Be carefull but have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...