HybridZ

Wink 5 panel 'golf cart' mirror good or bad ?

frank280zx

I use one with my standard mirror. I mount it high so it won't block my forward vision, but it's at the cost of not seeing very far behind. That said, it's great for blind spots.

any pics of how you mounted it .. or in general .. as im rather curios to the width and how it will sit considered the arching window

I had one on my 510 back in the 1980's--I think the mirrors became popular in the mid to late 1970's. They take a bit getting used to since they give you more visual information than what you may be used to, but they completely eliminate the blind spot from what I remember. The mirrors come in different widths (lengths?) and I had the one that spanned from side to side. Very simple brackets hold it in place and are unobtrusive. I'd recommend one if you need to be very aware of traffic around you, like in racing or even the daily rush hour :mrgreen:

Davy

The five panel fits nicely. I forgot to mention that I removed my sun visors. The mirror acts a little bit like a visor. I just used one of the bolt holes from the visor mount to mount an L bracket for the mirror.

Hmm, I forgot about that fact. My 510 had no sun visors--or I couldn't use them due to the mirror. That's the one drawback to the Wink, but I'm tall so it didn't matter much to me...

Davy

The Wink is very popular with road racers in various different cars. I installed one in my Z and then took it back out fairly quickly, because it felt like it was way too close to my head and it required me to look up and away from the road to check the mirror. I have thought that maybe a 3 panel that was installed on a mount that put the mirror further away might work, but installing it with the mount that the mirror comes with to the corners of the A pillars was not a good solution for me. Your mileage may vary.

I have one of these in my 240Z. It allows me to see the blind spots better plus a much larger view than the stock rear view mirror. I bought mine in Japan but you can get it anywhere. They are spring loaded and go right on top of the stock mirror. You can still adjust the whole thing even, however it's a little PITA to finagle the sun visor.

As Jon said road racers love them, I guess it depends on your application. If it was for street use I wouldn't go with the wink mirror, track yes.

B0008F68C6.01-A1T0VEFK4F7RX4._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1124809251_.jpg

One other thing, in some cases, I have to duck my head a little to see the color of the stop light. I don't have vibration problems, but the mirror is located close to my head.

On the street, I can see how that could cause bruises or worse than without one. On the track, as hard as the plastic frame is, I could see it acting as a very hard pillow to prevent high, sudden decelerations(impulse) to the head when the helmet hits it as opposed to the A pillar or windshield frame. My friend once worked in the ER where many motorcyclist died of a snapped neck aided by the extra inertia of a 10+ pound helmet, not damage from an object. I think people said Dale Sr. could have survived if he had worn a Hans device, which would have reduced the impulse to his body.

I, myself, will think more carefully on the best way to mount it, if at all. Thanks

Yup, way forward and low like JohnC says. Drove one in a street Z for years, no problems, liked it actually. For the life of me, I can't figure out why car manufactures still don't have an elegant solution for the blind spot, and in fact, in most cars you can't tilt the right hand mirror enough to cover it. Unbelievable IMHO.