New toy

texis30O

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She is driveable. Not so sure how the cops would like the no registration, insurance, and late 80's license plate, but none the less she is driving around the neighborhood!!!!!!!I just put 5 gallons of 110 in her to help out a little bit. I ordered the General Exclaim HPs. Just something to put on her that will grip a little bit for now. I am going to tackle the little things that need to be changed out...( various hoses and air filters).....Then it is the brakes, I am going to check out how much pads, and rotors will be.......but the tires will be in next Fri........I am going to check out the registration part as well......

lol I think that I am a little too old for that place........I might roll through once in a blue moon but it is highly doubtful. That scene is not my cup of tea. Now if you would have asked me 12 or 13 years ago I would have already left my mark, and been on my way to Rankin Rd.....but these days I will stick to the highways for long fast pulls and some twisties on the back roads are good enough for me....

• 2 weeks later...

I ran out of gas on my breakfeast run....so now I am waiting for the store to open that has my 110, so I can redeem myself.......I need to make sure that these tires are good you guys know the routine.....

Anyone want to purchase my Enkies? I am going to order a custom set of wheels and want to make up some of the differance in costs....drop me a pm if interested.....they are in great shape.

"110" octane gas? Tom told me I could run "leaded" regular with the lowered compression, less than 15lb boost and water injection. I never did (ran premium) but do you really need 110 octaine? Has got to cost a fortune to fill the tank.

Anyway, congratuations. I sent my Z to a general mechanic check brakes and replace booster. Brakes haven't been ck'ed since 1996.

Well the thing is I can get it for about 6 a gallon......if I pick up 5 gal every week then it is not too bad and I will have a full tank before too long.....I am not so sure about the gas we have these days with all of the ethanol in it. I have heard a lot of bad things about water and bad combustion.

• 7 months later...

I run 93 octane with the water injection coming in at 8 psi and full flowing by 9 psi. Only about 15 degrees of timing advance (before tdc) at 15 pounds of boost (no boost it is 30 degrees advance, but electromotive has boost retard). What timing do you other turbo tom guys have at 10 -15 psi of boost. I have the dial inside the car and usually keep it around 12 psi, unless I feel I need a little extra. I am adding O2 bung soon and wideband next. EGT's are in the 1450-1550 range. Texis300 I will look for your proprietary coating but I am planning on adding thermal wrap to keep temps down. I also have a gold moroso air filter, but mine sits on a cold air box. Anyone know any Turbo tom guys going to the Z convention in Daytona? http://www.flza.com/

small Z 009_thumb.jpg

small Z 006_thumb.jpg

small 8_16_07 004_thumb.jpg

small Zatpca 005_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

OKAY IT IS UP AND ALIVE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

I have made a few changes but they are for the betterment of the car and the kit.

I have a laundry list of new parts on the car but the important thing is that she is alive and well. I have to take it easy for the next 400 miles due to the new clutch. The old one literally decinigrated ( dry rotted). One side of it was still good while the other was turned into dust. I put in a Centerforce Dual friction clutch to hold the car together for now. I have a commitment from my uncle to help me out when I need assistance. We will be putting a Arizona Z car brake kit on, coilovers, and a repaint by way of stripping it out all of the way to the metal.......( eventually).

For now I need to get the lighting working on the car. I drove home with my wife and two dogs with no lights at 7pm....fun but scarry..... I am going to do a HID conversion as well as a surprise for the rear lighting.....I am awaiting the first weekin November to put classic plates on the car so that I will be all legal and not have to worry about anything. I have ordered mandrel bends for the new(old) exhaust from my IS 300 that will be welded up to the car this coming Sat. AM. I am going to use my Carbon-Titanium HKS can from the Lexus as that car is for sale. I am going to get everything mechanical up to date or my satisfaction prior to even starting the tear down for the paint and body work. I will also do the interior as well. This is all going to take time and money so it will be a long tedious process that I will enjoy but want over faster than I can afford. I don't want to burn any bridges with my wife ( newlywed), as I am also planning a build up of a 58' Apache 5-window ( Big Block) in the future as well. I will keep this thread updated as time goes on and changes are made to the car.

I am planning on bringing my father out to the Sterling McCall Z Extravaganza this Sat. So I hope to see a few of you there.

Hey guys,

I am still having hell with my setup. Due to diff. people (including myself) working on my car, I am not sure I have all the vacuum hoses hooked up right. I am not getting much boost and only 5lbs vacuum. I may have mechanical problems.

Sean, glad you got your car back. What about Sterling McCall's Z meeting?

GT72Datsun: your setup looks alot like mine except mine is only a 600CFM.

I hope you guys don't mind me getting some help from you.

Thanks.

You should know not to be bashful. What do you need? Now tat the car is driveable or as my god father put it I am a day-go ( can only drive during the day due to no lights) I can drive it over to you to compair if need be. Just let me know. I will bring he car to Sterling McCall for the car show this weekend. check out www.zclubofhouston.com for other details.

dash lights are not working, but the tail lights are. blinkers are working but no signification in the cabin, also I can not hear the "clicker" but the lights light up. I can hear the "clicker" when the hazzards are on but not the blinkers...I have such a long list of things to do to this car it is unreal. I think I am going to start on saving up for the coilovers first, and do the install myself.......I have acess to a welder and free lessons. I need to learn anyway.......

GeeZ,

I put together this diagram when I had everything apart a couple of weeks ago. My turbo is now rebuilt, but the actual issue for me was a blown intake manifold gasket. Car was great under idle but clicked (detonation) under load, the rear cylinders were leaning out due to the vac/boost leak. Everything is good now, only the weather is bad so I have been rewiring. My car is on a diet, so far it has lost the stereo and 1980's alarm.

I also have a flaky turn signal switch. Left is pretty consistent but the right only works when the head lights and high beams are played with.

Texis, pull the plastic cover around the steering column a take a look at that switch assembly. Your light issue may be a corroded contact. Ohm out the switches and see they are working correctly. My head lights run off of two relays that are mounted up front to the right of the radiator. If you have relays check the grounds and contacts.

Boost_vac diagram Rev 3.pdf

Hey GT72Datsun,

Thanks alot. I'll check it out this weekend. Question: You know anything about the modification to the carb. Two mechanics ago, rebuilt it and I wonder if they made any changes. The secondaries won't open.

Speaking of manifold gaskets, I have replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets 5 times, trying to fix the leak at the #6 cyl. Here is not much material on Tom's manifold and it will leak if not placed exactly right. I finally got it to seal for more than a couple days by using 14gauge electrical wire and using hi-temp silicone to glue it inside around the manifold gasket.

I sure do miss Tom.

Thanks

My secondaries do not or will not open untill they recieve vacum from the turbo housing. You guys are making me paranoid about stripping down my kit and putting it back together. I want to send everything off to get recoated all nice and new, but the mystery #6 is starting to make me wonder. I wonder if a change in the manifold design would help disperse gas/air mixture better?