HybridZ

New toy

texis30O

6usifxv.jpg

happened yesterday when I was pushing the car a little bit. The belt is missing a 3-4 inch section. I have replaced it with a better quality belt. I also had to replace the light/washer switch as well as the turn signal swittch. I got both off of Ebay that was in full working order ( I got lucky) and bought a NEW one from a dealership in Dallas for back up. It was NEW and mis-marked on price so I snatched it up for less than 200 new!!!! It was like one of four left in the country.....I put in a new interior pieces as well......

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=129004

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it makes you feel any better...my freind with the other boosted Z has an expired sticker from like 1984 or something like that and has never gotten a ticket for it.

It's only a matter of time. Any thing over three months old is considered a jailable offence. Just a friendly warning.

• 2 weeks later...

ITS' ALIVE.........when I woke this mornig I had all intentions of going to the dyno to check the A/F on the car an see what she could do. Well was I wrong in many ways. It turns out that after reading through all of the notes on my car from the previous owner ( THANKS JJ) that the timing needed to be at 16-20 degrees advanced. Well We looked at the timing and it was sitting at 9 degrees ADV. Well the shop that had adjusted everything on my car did what they thought was right. WRONG.

The car spools faster and is a lot more responsive. I do not have any type of indication of TDC on my car like in pics that were sent to me. ( thanks Slow_Old_Car, he came through on the fly.) We figured where TDC was on the pulley and looked at the hash marks on the pulley and went from there. The car now sits at 14 degrees and can go a few more. I am seeing what it is going to be like tonight and go from there. Thanks John for Jeremy's phone #. I will now wait a bit then off to the dyno for final adjustment on the carb and we will see what she will be able to put down with 15lbs of boost......

I took her for a drive across town this morning and well she got a lettle tempremental. I noticed going to and from the Japanese Nostalgic Car get together that there were vibrations noticed at certian speeds. Couldn't figure it out.....Well I think it is the u-joints on the driveshaft or the rearend....that is TBD.

However my issue with jerky-random misfires is back intermittenly. It is funny it only occurs when the car has been driven for a long period of time at highway speeds. When I return to stop and go traffic it goes away. I think that I either have some or one bad sparkplug wire, or my MSD box is going out. I mean these parts have only been on the car since..............1979....So I think it is time for me to pony up and change some stuff around. The car started acting up on me after I put it through som paces and got up to what the speedomoter read 125-130...I couldn't really tell it was bounceing around so much ( another item on my list). I am keeping this log to help me int he future as well as let others know about the issues I get along the way.....I did hunt down and kill a 350Z on the way home.......it had some nice shiny 20's and a windsheild banner on it. I took him by surprise you could say......all he keept saying was wow that is a nice car......put a smile on my face.....I will let you guys know what I do next. I am going to contact MSD and see if they will work on my relic of a ignition box or see what they suggest as a replacement. I would lit for them to work on mine so that I can keep it all period correct.

• 2 months later...

Well it has been a while since I have updated so.........

I had been experienceing some over heating so I have changed the t-stat out and that did not fix my issue.....So I decided to go all out...I have ordered a new water pump from MSA and am awaiting its' arrival. So in the mean time I have removed the radiator and I am sending it off to get flushed and checked out. When I pulled the water pump of of the car I realized that the one I had was still good , so now I will have a back up in the future when needed. To add a little pop under the hood I have sent off the pulley that was on the car to get chromed, as well as the hood prop, and the torpedo light as well....I figured while it was torn apart "why not"...I will post up some pics when I get all of the parts back and installed......

I have also replaced all of the spark plug wires on the car and that took care of my problem that I was haveing of miss-fires. I used MSD Super-conductor wires and routed them around the front of the motor to clean it up a bit.

I am almost done with the mechanical part of the car....then it is off to the suspension and finally the body.......

• 3 months later...

Well it has been a while since I have done any updates on here so........

I am including some pics of some of the changes that I have done to the car......

I spent the beter part of a weekend wet sanding, buffing and polishing my valve cover and my water injection tank. I have purchased a set of MSD super conductor wires and made my own kit. I made braces for the wires so that they will all stay together and wrap around the motor. ( eventually I will have a Electromotive XDi system on the car but for now this is my fix.) I have decided to pull my car to its resting place for a little bit while the house is waiting to be sold. I am sending off my intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and downpipe all to get refinished and coated something special. I have two boxes of goodies that need tp be put on the car as well and the next update will include all of the new changes.

jkwsp1.jpg

nznmmt.jpg

and the boxes of goodies

33nj85k.jpg

I think I am going to buy a powdercoating kit from Eastwood and redo some things on the suspension when I get into the new house. ( I am building it so I will have enough room to work on the car and stretch out a little.....

• 2 years later...

Well it is back from the dead. I have moved the car out of the garage and went on a little road trip to my friend's shop in the northside of town. The head has a leak and is getting removed. Since that is happening the turbo mani is getting welded where there are some cracks. The turbo is has been sent off to a place in Vero Beach, Fl. to get rebuilt. I have made a trade and will be putting back my original seat, but newly covered,restuffed, and good as new. For my set of Corbeaus that are currently in the car. I should have the car on the dyno late next week and on the road shortly there after. The brakes are getting worked on. Changing out the rear dif fluid. I put in new plugs prior to the road trip.

The car sat in my parent's garage for almost 2 years while I built a new house and got settled in. Not to mention get into the swing of things with my daughter ( just about 2 years old) The car is slowly being brought back from the dead.........

Good to hear your car is getting back into action. Time can easily slip by. I started the install of the Turbo Tom kit on my '72 a two Xmas ago with the plan of getting it running by spring. Here it is a year later and its now just down off the stands. Its that stupid "working for a living" thing that gets in the way. Time spent with your kids though is always well invested.

The manifold is currently getting re-welded, and we are clearing out some places at the intake flange that were left there. I want to make sure that I get all the air the turbo has into the wheel. I found a place that does thermal coatings and will have the manifold, hot-side of the turbo, and the downpipe all coated. At the same time I am getting the intake and valve cover powdercoated as well. Another instance of " I might as well" while I have it torn apart. I think I should have the engine bay completed once this all gets put back together. I am looking forward to seeing what this will put down on the dyno once she is all back and runing. I have hopes and asperations for hight 300's to mid 400's but I am not sure.... We are going to be using Methanol instead of water for the injection system so that should help, along with the increased air flow out of the manifold to the turbo to help it spool. Who knows.... I am just looking forward to be able to go out to my garage and take it for a spin when ever I want......

• 4 weeks later...

Progress is being made. I ust dropped off my manifold. To a place out in the sticks North of Houston. They are coating the manifold and the down pipe with the same coating that is on Military jets on the inside of the jet housing ( where the flame comes out). It will be a ceramic type coating that will keep it cool to the touch even after hard runs. I will take come temp measurements once the car is up and runing. I was going to coat the hot sid eof the turbo but it already has a new gasket from the rebuild. I did not want to pry it off and potentially ruin it....I will drop off my intake manifold to get powercoated today as well. I am about to start the build back and get her on the road. I am now trying to find out more information on the Dial-a-boost wastegate that I have on the car. It looks pretty worn out. I am going to open it up to see if it just needs to be cleaned. Here are some pics of what I have so far....

wwckqw.jpg

2rmy62r.jpg

28gxu1k.jpg

2hs21xi.jpg

I took the wastegate apart just to check the bladder for leaks, of tears. It is perfect. The wastegate itself was stuck closed. After some coaxing with a hammer, a rachet extension, and some P B Blaster, it is smooth as butter. Good thing I did not beat on the car without checking. The wastegate recirculates back into the exhaust. I do not have bov. I am considering one..... but then it will be obvious to others that I am boosted. I like having the element of surprise......

This week I will paint the block and get it ready for the build back.

• 5 weeks later...

Intake manifold is back from powdercoating.

Exhaust manifold and downpipe are back from the coating as well. I coated it with a Aerospace coating. Kind of ironic cause Tom used a paint to paint the manifolds in the past that was fromthe aerospace industry as well, just a few years differance (1978 vs. 2011) It is Metco 204, white in color. This will just force me to wrap part of the exhaust that is under the car with a header wrap that I already have to keep the cabin cool. I will eventually get some RAAM mat and install that in the car as well...... I have a little idea that I am going to do on the intake manifold..... Any Turbo Tom fans out there hit me up if you like the pic below and I can get you some of what I had made.......

2i9p1t4.jpg

The car should be running in about 2 more weeks. I am working around a friend's schedule along with juggling my life as welll.

• 2 weeks later...

As always things seem to change. The head is being pulled off this weekend, Monday it is being sent to a machine shop to be tested for warping and leaks. The guy doing the work on my car for me, has just told me he would feel better if we did this rather than just putting on a new gasket and running with it. I agree. They will also clean the valves while they have it. So it looks like the first part of Aug will be the start up time. hopefully we will be able to dyno it at that time....... When the car get back here to the house I will be replacing all of the u-joints. I ordered replacements and they are here waiting. I am curious to find out what diff is in the car as I was told it was changed out, the p/o is not sure if it is a r200 or a r180. Just add it to the list of things that will be done to the car....

The head checked out and is back from the machine shop this AM. They are putting it all back together.... Here are some pics of the manifolds and downpipe.

3535yz5.jpg

qspkb8.jpg

97446t.jpg

I know it is hard to see the intake being that it is sitting in my driver's side floorboard, but that is what I have to work with for now. Hopefully soon some more pics and videos by the end of the coming week.