HybridZ

New toy

texis30O

Well I was finally ablet o get the car to the house. it is a 1970 240 Z. It has a Turbo Tom kit will all of the fixxins'. Dial-a-boost, water/methanol injection, Dual stage nitrous kit (first 100, second 60), bigger sways (F,R), MSD 6A-T, Mallory Coil, Racer Brown cam, O-ringed heads, 7000k redline, Momo stering wheel, Aries pistons, the list goes on and on........

The car has say for about 8 years and has been in the garage for all of its' life. I am the second owner and have the original window sticker. I have known the original owner all of my life and he has meticulus records of this car. I am going to get it running over the next few weeks and start to play with it.....I have long term goals for this car and want it to show up in a magazine.......I think it will just take me some time to get it the way that I want it. My IS 300 will now have to sit on the sidelines as I start with my new toy.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dude that kit looks awesome. Definately some old school stuff. Ole Turbo Tom really showed them how. I am sure there would be alot of members who would appreciate you dissassembling and catalogging all the parts in the kit. Maybe even dimensions /specs/jet sizes etc detailing the whole setup.

Looks like a very kewl project. Good Luck!!!

Dude that kit looks awesome. Definately some old school stuff. Ole Turbo Tom really showed them how. I am sure there would be alot of members who would appreciate you dissassembling and catalogging all the parts in the kit. Maybe even dimensions /specs/jet sizes etc detailing the whole setup.

Looks like a very kewl project. Good Luck!!!

Just before I read this post, I was thinking just that. Wouldn't it be awesome if he were to take it apart and show detailed pictures of the setup, so that I could use it to design a newer version using newer technology?

I finally gave up trying to redesign that TT (RIP) kit after it went out in a blaze of glory, literally.

Be advised of the problem with the articulating carb, which heaves to and fro as it breathes. This reaction is to the flow forces which cannot be defeated. Don't even try to hold it down; it will tear the hose off the nozzle. I tried a bump hose and mounted the carb on slide rail and it still trashed the carb to turbo hose and caught fire.

The water inj nozzle is a real POS. Loose it before it detonates from failure to supply ADI and blows your ring lands. Go with a commercial grade check valve with o-ring and fixed nozzle. I used a 1/8" Cu tube drilled to 0.032".

Forget trying to jet that 600cfm dbl pumper. I got a whole box full of jets and power valves you can have. Carbs are square law metering with 3:1 turndown, not great for a wide power band from a turbo. I hope you are a masochist, then you will be in hog heaven.

I appreciate the info. However this car ran sucessfully for many years......the only reason that it is not running now is he purchased a 911 and boosted the hell out of that. It was installed by Turbo Tom and tuned by him as well. I have thought of using a megasquirt set-up and changing everything over but I want to see what this will do first. I will rarely run this thing up to 21.5lbs as it is my first boosted vehicle. ( I think that it will take me a while to get used to the power.) I will see what this is going to be like first then maybe take a different direction afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I made good progress today after work. I was able to drain the gas out of the tank. If anyone wants to know what TEN year old C-16 looks and smells like they can drive by the house....IT STINKS!!!!! I drained all of the cooling fluids as well. I am waiting for the carb to be ready. I have been waiting on parts for the Holley. I am haveing it rebuilt by a friend of mine that owns a shop here in town. I think that by next week I should almost be ready to fire her up. I am going to hold off for a little bit to get some of the parts freshend up intill I get it running. I am waiting patiently............more updates to come....

Well I thought I was going to be able to start the car up this weekend....No Go. the carb was so tarnished, and badly damaged from sitting there for so long with race gas that the cost to rebuild it versus buying a new one was not reasonable.................................

So I just purchased a NEW Speed Demon 650cfm carb and it will be arriving on Tues. so the saga continues..

Well I thought I was going to be able to start the car up this weekend....No Go. the carb was so tarnished, and badly damaged from sitting there for so long with race gas that the cost to rebuild it versus buying a new one was not reasonable.................................

So I just purchased a NEW Speed Demon 650cfm carb and it will be arriving on Tues. so the saga continues..

Sean,

Stop. You cannot use just any Holley carb. The Turbo Tom carb is modified.

Note the vacuum tube coming out of the side of carb. Note the guy who left a previous post about modifying carbs for Tom. Clean up the old carb.

John

I dropped him a pm. I will wait and see what he says. I talked to my mechanic again and he was going to check out the carb to see if there are any other changes to it in the secondary that were not noticed previously. I still have the Holley so nothing is lost at all. The Demon will be here on Tues. So we will take a close look at both of them and see what can be done. Keep the faith....lol I WILL GET THIS RIGHT!!!