HybridZ

500Z Progress photos

MY77Z

Just my 2 cents worth (again) Love the car looks great. Im thinking of sending you my 280z. You would for sure have it done quicker then me. I am making progress though. I just purchased the BBK SSI intake for the 347 in my sons GT. I will let you know how I like it. I have always had great luck with BBK products. My 331 has BBK long tube headers (fit great) it has the BBK H pipe Fit great. These are just my experiances with their products. I have never had a BBK product that I wasn't happy with, and no this is not a paid endorsment for BBK:mrgreen: Your car does look great. I cant wait for the weather to break here so I can get started on mine. I will take some pictures of mine this week sometime and get them posted.

ed

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stangracer,....thanks for the comlpements, i think i'll be able to finish any Z with a ford swap now in 3 monthes or maybe less than that :) but you'll pay around 5000 bucks just for shipping the car to kuwait and back to the states..LOOL.. ....i'm using slave cylinder but i'm having problems adjusting it, today drove the car a bit, at the begining, it was ok, then started to have problems shifting, when i got back home, i wasn't able to shift at all :( i'll have to look at it tomorow...is there any slave cylinder conversion for the 5.0?? because i'm using a slave cylinder from a benz...

thanks

I pieced together my own clutch setup for the T-5+302 the original .75" bore MC I used was too small. I am trying a 1-1/8" setup which should work well. 1" Might be sufficent. Ill get back to you guys once I finalize testing. The .75" MC only moved the clutch about 1/2 of what we needed if I remember correctly. 1-3/8" stroke is what we are looking for.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

well, i dont want to start a new photos thread of my car so i'll just post them here, few weeks ago, i bought a new clutch setup and modified the SC to make it fit,

DSC00272.jpg

MC, SC, hose and fittings

DSC00318.jpg

new RAM powergrip HD clutch kit

DSC00320.jpg

out of the box

DSC00371.jpg

installed after few modifications

DSC00375.jpg

another one

this is it for my clutch upgrade. now i'm working on my cooling system, got new high flow water pump, griffin 24*19 radiator, 160degree t-stat, swivel t-stat housing, i'm trying to do my best but got no time to work on the car :( because of my job.

thanks

Just my 2 cents worth (again) Love the car looks great. Im thinking of sending you my 280z. You would for sure have it done quicker then me. I am making progress though. I just purchased the BBK SSI intake for the 347 in my sons GT. I will let you know how I like it. I have always had great luck with BBK products. My 331 has BBK long tube headers (fit great) it has the BBK H pipe Fit great. These are just my experiances with their products. I have never had a BBK product that I wasn't happy with, and no this is not a paid endorsment for BBK:mrgreen: Your car does look great. I cant wait for the weather to break here so I can get started on mine. I will take some pictures of mine this week sometime and get them posted.

ed

Id like to know what you think about the SSI intake as well. Thats the intake im going to be using on my 79 280zx.

My77z, your car is gorgeous.

I used an 7/8" master cylinder (MC) from Wilwood (WIL-260-6765) and it's good while driving, a bit stiff but i'm used to it. i dont know how a bigger MC would feel but i'm happy with this setup for now knowing that i haven't floored or sprayed the car yet.

David K thanks for the kind words about my ride, i'm not sure if you are asking Ed or asking me about the SSI intake but to be honest, i've never driven a mustang with the SSI intake on it, but i've never had problems with BBK's products at all, if i build another ford engine, i'll definatly go with the SSI intake/fuel rail combo from BBK.

hi guys,

i had few hours to use yesterday and i installed the new water pump, cleaned the surface around it and painted it in gray, modified the alternator bracket and painted it too, had the radiator mounts fabricated and welded on the rad.

DSC00387.jpg

DSC00388.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

i'll use some 4mm rubber piece under the mounts not to mount it directly on the body, my only problem now is the Electric Fan, it will not fit easily between the rad and the crank pully, the only way to make fit now is to mount it more to the drivers side and not in the middel, i thought about cutting few mm from the crank pully but i dont think its a good idea.

what do you guys think?

I would just mount the fan slight off center then. Shouldnt cause a concern. Just noticed something in your picture. You are running the waterpump pulley on the backside of the belt right? I can see where the belt has run on the grooved side before. This has probably been adressed before. Gotta run a late model pump on the backside of the belt so it will turn the correct direction. My 331 is ready to go into the Z. Gotta get my sons GT completed first. Its near starting just waiting on a new flex plate. Got sent a 157 tooth one and need a 164 tooth. I will let ya know how the SSI intake works out. It is more of a pain to assemble then other intakes thats for sure. I will have my son post some pics of the job on his car too.

ed

hi Ed, well my Water pump is a highflow pump that turns both directions, clocklwise and counterclockwise, so i dont think its a problem anymore :)

and BTW, your son's engine looks great, good job on the install.

keep up the good work

Im not that sloppy with rtv. Thats masking tape, that was just a mock up of the intake with the ports taped up on the heads. Its all on the engine now just waiting for the brackets to come back from the powder coater. Hope to be finsihed with this project this in a week so I can start on the engine install in the Z. Thanks for the compliments. Should be a wicked runnin car.

• 2 weeks later...

good news :-)

i've just finished installing everything in the car, the fan is a pusher now, fired the car for 20 minutes maybe without driving it, the temp didnt go over the middle ( i dont have numbers on my guage) when i used to drive it before, while running, the temp was at 3/4. so i guess it will drop more now when i run. i'll post some photos tomorow.

hi guys,

i spent 4 hours this morning finishin my car, everything is installed and workin :) still have to install the overflow tank. tonight is the test drive with the new cooling system, cannot floor it though because my clutch is new. yeah and i switched my nitrous jets from 75hp to 125hp :)

photos:

DSC00438.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00445.jpg

First off,the car looks great.I ,like somebody else posted earlier,am concerned about the fan belt.You are gonna have to add an idler or tensioner pulley somewhere to get the ribbed side of the belt off of the water pump.It will slip like crazy and burn up the belt in a matter of hours,if that long.In Kuwait,I know I would'nt take a chance.Probably be OK for a test drive,but no more than that.The back side of the serpentine belt should ride on the water pump pulley.Good luck!

thank you for the nice words, well about the belt, i used to drive my car before installing the clutch and the cooling system with the same belt setup as now, drove it for maybe a month without problems, and flooring it whenever i can :) never slipped even with nitrous. and when i took it off, the belt looked like new. i guess i'll be driving it like this for now, if it starts to be a problem, i'll install a pully on the driver's side.