HybridZ

T-5 in a Scarab conversion

540z

Hi,

Has anybody out there put a WC T-5 in a Scarab-converted Z?

I have a '72 240z with a SB Chevy and an M21 four speed and want to get an overdrive. I have come across a sweet deal on a low mileage T-5, bell housing, clutch, slave cyl, etc., from a '93 Camaro. I would like to know if any of you all have swapped over to a T-5 while still retaining some of the Scarab stuff and what's involved. I know that the JTR manual suggests using the T-5, but I really don't want to have to set back the engine, replace motor mounts and headers to accomplish this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TR

I have one question, is that T5 from a V6 car?

If it is you don't want to/probably can't use it. The input shaft should be 14 spline and the bellhousing won't bolt to a V8.

From the research I did while looking for my T5 the V6 versions use the same bolt pattern as the Ford T5 and it's a much lighter duty tranny than the V8 model, which isn't a very strong tranny anyway.

Wheelman

Well, if it's a WC-T5 from a 6cyl, wheelman is right, you don't want to use it. But you can get it and rebuild it. I had a 6cyl WC-T5 and bought a Ford Cobra "R" Gearset and a rebuild kit and put all new internals in it. Viola (sp?), you have a T5 trans rated at about 400 hp / 300 ft lbs (or so) on the cheap depending on how much you are paying for the trans. I spent about 600 upgrading mine, then still had to get a new flywheel, pressure plate, and hydrolics, but everything is very stout.

Just some input.

The T5 I've got is a Kessler rebuilt unit from a '93 V8 Camaro. It has some pretty beefy internals. I'm wondering if it will fit without my having to change the engine mounting position and what it would take to have the shifter in relatively the same location as the stock stick.

It can't be a T5 from a 93 V8 Camaro, they came with T56 transmissions, that is unless the owner of the Camaro swapped in the T5.

Could it be an 83 Camaro?

To answer the basic question about fitment, based on how mine ended up using the JTR set back position your shifter would end up coming up right through the fuse box. I have my engine set back as far it can go and the T5 shifter came up right in the center of the stock hole. I had to clearance the left side of the hole a bit as I'm using the stock Camaro bellhousing that tilts the tranny.

Where is the shift handle positioned now and is it bent so it comes up through the stock shifter hole?

Wheelman

The car the trans came out of was somewhat of a mutt that some kid was trying to race, but wrecked it very shortly after the tranny was installed.

I haven't tried to do the installation on my Z yet as I'm trying to get an idea as to how much cutting and pounding I may need to do, or if the easier method would be to go with the JTR mounting setup.

The M21 in there now has a Hurst Competition Plus with a 2" setback plate on the shift handle mounting bracket to get it to fit thru the hole. It has been a good shifter and this setup has worked well since 1978.

All the manual V6 cars of that era had 5s and the V8s all had 6s.

It sounds like the prior Camaro owner put together a setup similar to the one I'm using in my Z. I have a 95 LT1 mated to a WC T5 from an 89 TransAm. I used a flywheel meant for an 86 and later 305 that is externally balanced like the LT1 and a standard V8 clutch setup.

The flywheel is only 16 lbs so the engine revs very quickly.

I think you'll probably have to convert to the setback mounting position to get the shifter to come out in the right place. The primary things that will be affected are the length on the driveshaft, the tranny mounting method and the exhaust. I'm guessing the M21 thats in there now is using the stock Datsun tranny mount which won't work for the T5. You can use the JTR tranny mount or fab one of your own.

Wheelman