HybridZ

CV axle conversion woes

Had Modern Motorsports weld up adapters to my companion flanges for 300zxt axles. Got them back and they look great - nice welding. Thought I was doing good by ordering rebuilt axles - had to order one from NAPA and the other side from another source. NAPA part # 9071, other axle is a Cardone rebuild part # 60-6058. Took the Cardone apart, first the outer cv end and found that flipping the inner race would make no difference in length - the took the end that goes into differential to find that if that inner race is flipped it would result in axle increasing in length - looks like inner races are new - thinking that when it was rebuilt that the inner races were replaced with some generic units that do not have the same shape as OEM. Have not taken the NAPA rebuild apart yet to see if same set up. First question, is it the end at the wheel end that gets the race flipped and has anyone come up against this in the past?

Cardone = crap.

I ordered a passenger side ZXt CV axle fro RockAuto. What I got was some kind of wierd hybrid axle. The joints were correct, but the shaft was too long. RockAuto was good - I shipped it back, they credited me on everything incl my return shipping (although it was still a hassle).

I spoke with a guy there who said it was the correct part number and everything shoulda been good, but obviously it wasn't.

What I'm saying is that the people at Cardone may have done the same thing to your part that they did to mine...

The axle I took apart is the shorter one for drivers side - I'm going to put it back together and return. Guess I'll try to find a used one and modify it. In searching the forums I found references to guys not altering the passenger side, apparently enough room on that side to use the axle in original length. Still would like to hear a definite answer to whether the inner race to be flipped is on the outboard cv joint at wheel end.

Called a friend of mine and he has an 85 300zxt parts car that still has OEM axle shafts in it that I can have so I'm going to send back both rebuilt units, modify the OEM axles, install new boot kits and should be good to go - guess I shot myself in the foot with the rebuilt units.