HybridZ

race building l28et

FI_JUNKY

so i am comming back with a full built l28et that was origonaly in my 280zx. i am new to l series engine builders and race prep shops. my goal is to obtain 600hp maximum output. i am asking for a few shops and or names that would be able to build me a bored and stroked fully built block and great head work for the power i want and can make it as reliable as possible. shoot sum names and locations if u got them. i'm based out of dallas and would like to find somebody local and if all else fails i'm prepared to send my block to japan haha and money isn't a huge issue as i know this will take time but i want to get everything perfect the first time around

Now that is going to take some doing.

You want reliability, and power, well there are a number of good builders out there. Being a west coast guy, I used some of the builders out here.

Robello racing did the bottom end of the engine.

Nathan Gerolomy did, ultimetly, the head for the engine.

Robello also does a very good head as well.

You may even want to give Brian (OneFastZ) a call and see what he can do for you.

600hp is doable, infact 700hp is doable, but don't forget the fuel management for the car, most important to get a system that will perform well.

Gentlemen OPEN your WALLETS! BEGIN! LOL

Sorry! BUT!! Why would you want 600rwhp in an S130???

I have a 2 door KHR30 Skyline here in Oz and am building something similar here. My car weighs just 1200kg (2640lb) and having 245/45's on the rear I don't think I can successfully get more than 350HP to the ground.

Any more and I think you will have a wheel spinning monster that does nothing for good lap times.

Cheers, D

Sorry! BUT!! Why would you want 600rwhp in an S130???

Any more and I think you will have a wheel spinning monster that does nothing for good lap times.

Cheers, D

I suppose it would depend on the type of racing he is talking about... straight line or curves...

What was the phrase of a renowned road racer? (Paraphrased)

"You have enough power when you can leave black marks from the exit of one corner, to the entrance of the next!"

600HP in an S130 won't do that....not enough power. More power, please!

(THey ran in competition in the early 80's with as much at 820HP, so this is what could be referred to as a "Conservative Target" of only 600HP!

I have a 2 door KHR30 Skyline here in Oz and am building something similar here. My car weighs just 1200kg (2640lb) and having 245/45's on the rear I don't think I can successfully get more than 350HP to the ground.

Who says you have to have 245/45's.

FI JUNKY- Will the whole car be "full built" like the motor or will you keep it close to stock with some minor cosmetic/performance changes.

I have seen a first-gen Z with 325 width tires...it used to have some huge chevy motor...BBC I think. You can get enough tire as long as you have 17"-18" rims.

FI junky: how much do you have to spend on your drivetrain? if you want to make a 600hp L6 plan on spending $7xxx on the base motor easy...then extras for stuff you need for the motor...fuel cell, new fuel lines etc...

and if you do all that laying the motor over would be a decent idea to lower your CG and give you more room for turbo stuff...while you are at it...

You would probably rip the motor mounts apart the first time you drop teh clutch...lol. Motor plates are in order!

A Z32 tranny would probably work since stage 9 Z32s are around like 1000 horsepower... :-)

Here is my dream "fully built" L series motor that would be up there in power...besides my signature...

LD28 block Laid WAY over

85mm modified, lightened, LD28 crank

89-90mm bore

balanced, lightened, polished everything...

forged pistons (duh!)

1_fast_Z's DOHC crossflow head

sequential turbos (first small turbo runs out of gas and then switches to a bigger turbo like a supra.)

aftermarket EFI (wolf 3D...)

driveline:

Dana 44 IRS w/ inboard brakes

Z32 tranny

so...how fast are you willing to spend? That above is well over $15k of stuff...lol and good for 650+ ponies...

Who says you have to have 245/45's.

FI JUNKY- Will the whole car be "full built" like the motor or will you keep it close to stock with some minor cosmetic/performance changes.

Well it's like this.

245/45 x 16 is the widest tyre available with same dynamic radius as the original tyres.

!7's and above get narrower & likewise with 15's.

But I guess for an outright racer like that driven by Paul Newman and Bob Sharp etc it's an all different ball game eh!

Do you guys have the OS Giken L series DOHC head in the US?

Do you guys have the OS Giken L series DOHC head in the US?

Nope....no one got these heads except a few select in Japan

For the $$ that it will cost to build a 600hp L28ET...you can buy a 2JZ drop it in and have plenty of cash left over for a vacation to Japan, but a nice R32 GTS-T and ship it back..

I am not sure how much $$$ you have to spend but here is what I figure:

1) Custom intake manifold with individual throttle bodies - $1200

2) Custom exhaust manifold - $1800

3) Turbo and external wastegate, BOV - $2200

4) Standalone Engine Management, ignition + Gauges - $3000

5) Injectors, Fuel Pump and Fuel Regulator - $1000

6) Extensive (port , polish and re-work) Headwork - $1500

7) Custom cam, new rockers, double valve springs - $1000

8) Custom Forged Pistons Swain and Teflon coated + rings - $1100

9) Custom Forged Rods - $800

10) Diesel crank (used) - $350

11) HKS Metal Head Gasket, all Gaskets, - $250

12) ARP Head studs, rod bolts, studded bottom end, FWheel bolts - $250

13) New oil pump and timing chain, sprockets - $250

14) 11lb Flywheel + Clutch - $750

15) Intercooler + Piping - $1200

16) Aluminum radiator + Electric Fans - $500

17) Competant machine shop to hot tank, bore, plane, assemble, clean, line bore, etc - $1800

18) Dyno Tuning $750

19) Tranny that can hold this power - Who knows?

20) Pay a shop to put every thing together, wire up gauges, standalone etc etc - $2500

21) Earls fittings + Oil Cooler - $1200

22) Misc (About 5% of above list from 1-21) - $1100

TOTAL - $25,000! not counting the tranny

or on other words the price of a Twin Turbo Supra or early model Porsche 911 Turbo..if you can do it...go for it

like Jeff said open your pocket!

Yasin

You want reliability, and power

Gentlemen OPEN your WALLETS! BEGIN! LOL

That is where I am at now...thanks for the pins for the JWT upgrade.

I bought the fuel rail from Peter. Didn't hear back from you via out last contact, really wanted your fuel rail.

kenny.

yes the car will be fully built as well. full tube chassis with removable panels etc. i want to build it very similar to paul newman and bob sharp's race cars, almost a replica just one upped. and as far as a tranni that'll handle it it's going to cost a pretty penny but it'll be worth it, the viper spec. t56 trans. a lot of parts will be custom fabbed by me or other companies i know. but i finaly came to my final decision which is build my rb that i have and put it in the z and build the l28 and put it in the old 710