HybridZ

cutting into the dash wish me luck

rdsk8ter

well here goes nothing im cutting the dash tomorrow wish me luck i got 6 gauges in the center above the climate controls facing the driver and still some more to place can anyone thinkt of anything im forgetting here is my list

tranny temp

water temp

oil pressure

vacume

volts

fuel level

tach

speedo

i want to keep a cleaner look lets see the

headlight switch

rear defrost switch

turn signal indicators

thats about all i can think of i am going to hopefuly start glass after the first of the year thanks for all the help guys

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well here goes nothing im cutting the dash tomorrow wish me luck i got 6 gauges in the center above the climate controls facing the driver and still some more to place can anyone thinkt of anything im forgetting here is my list

tranny temp

water temp

oil pressure

vacume

volts

fuel level

tach

speedo

i want to keep a cleaner look lets see the

headlight switch

rear defrost switch

turn signal indicators

thats about all i can think of i am going to hopefuly start glass after the first of the year thanks for all the help guys

Is that all one sentence?

When I built my custom fiberglass dash

Guages:

Tach

Speedo

Wideband o2

Boost

Oil Pressure

Water Temp

Fuel Level

Volts

(There is a liquid-filled fuel pressure guage on the Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator in the engine compartment)

Main Indicator Lights:

Left Turn / Right Turn / Hazzards

High Beam

Brake Warning Light

Oil Pressure Idiot Light

Switches:

Main Key Switch

Fuel Pump On

Electric Fan

Headlights

Interior/Guage Lights

Wipers (converted to on/off)

Hazzards

I really ought to post pictures of my finished dash. If there is some interest - I'll hook it up.

Which ones? They are all a little different.

The majority are rocker switches - and they push from inside the dash to the inside of the car with little plastic grabber deals (part of the switch). You push them together and the switch will slide toward the cockpit of the car.

ok now that i have some sleep here goes im ready to start fiberglassing the dash this weekend. question for all of you fiberglass guys

can i fiberglass this dash out side of the car or will the frame warp? heres what the dash is..... original frame with sections i cut welded back in around gauge holders it feels really sturdy i will post pics as soon as i smooth some welds. thanks alot guys and any tips are greatly appreciated:)

im definatly going to glass mine outside of the car... im doing the same thing (have a stock 280z dash in my 280zx for the time being.. dont know why tho its not hooked up lol) i cut ALOT of my dash up and it is very weak right now.. when i get my welder (first of feb) im going to weld supports to hold it together and stiffen it up.. i did kind of what aguyandaredhead did in his post.. although mines a little different. i dont think it would kick enough to warp the dash as long as the dash isnt warped before you lay the glass. im post pics of your progress if you have them.. i'd like to see.

will do the old lady just bought me a camera for this purpose will post soon

im definatly going to glass mine outside of the car... im doing the same thing (have a stock 280z dash in my 280zx for the time being.. dont know why tho its not hooked up lol) i cut ALOT of my dash up and it is very weak right now.. when i get my welder (first of feb) im going to weld supports to hold it together and stiffen it up.. i did kind of what aguyandaredhead did in his post.. although mines a little different. i dont think it would kick enough to warp the dash as long as the dash isnt warped before you lay the glass. im post pics of your progress if you have them.. i'd like to see.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

I would advise you to bolt the dash up in the car and do the all of the glass work with it mounted in the car. If you don't it will (I promise) warp. You will have to stress and bend the dash to get the mounting holes to line back up. I have always built door panels and dashes with the parts installed on the car. Never had a problem with them changing shape once. If you do it outside it will make your life a nightmare.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

Guest Aguyandaredhead

yours might have been just a glass covering over the original dash covering. It is much more ridged than a base buck or wood structure that is from scratch..

Jeff

glassing inside the car will more than LIKELY cause need to remove the windshield right? thats the reason i was going to glass mine outside... BUT if you say it will warp (you have experience with this i dont really) then i take your word and suppose i'll have to bite the bullet and remove the windshield also.. geeze.. everytime i think i can get an easy way out lol... thanks for the info though.. im using ideas from your dash design so you know better than i do if it will warp or not.