HybridZ

Custom Forged Pistons

evildky

It is time for me to build a better bottom end and of course I want an overbore and forged pistons, my goal is 9.0:1 with flat top pistons in a 88mm bore using stock crank, rods and P90 head with 1mm metal HG (if I can locate one)

In ordering the pistons, summit has quoted custom Weisco pistons at about $600 (I assume this includes pins and rings), I seem to recall they had them cheaper but I supposed prices go up in time. They told me to contact Weisco which I did and they told me to fill out a custom piston order form, this is where I get into trouble, I don't know the answers to all the questions, I've found conflicting info, I found the stock rods listed as either 130.3mm or 130.2mm, does someone have a spec sheet or know of a supplier that knows the specs without me having to get all the info right and risk a very expensive set of paper weights

It is time for me to build a better bottom end and of course I want an overbore and forged pistons, my goal is 9.0:1 with flat top pistons in a 88mm bore using stock crank, rods and P90 head with 1mm metal HG (if I can locate one)

In ordering the pistons, summit has quoted custom Weisco pistons at about $600 (I assume this includes pins and rings), I seem to recall they had them cheaper but I supposed prices go up in time. They told me to contact Weisco which I did and they told me to fill out a custom piston order form, this is where I get into trouble, I don't know the answers to all the questions, I've found conflicting info, I found the stock rods listed as either 130.3mm or 130.2mm, does someone have a spec sheet or know of a supplier that knows the specs without me having to get all the info right and risk a very expensive set of paper weights

If you are going to the trouble of custom forged pistons, why not go to the L24 rods? For that matter, a stroker crank isn't that expensive if you are doing the custom pistons anyway...

Also, it would be a very good idea to get an accurate measurement of your block's deck height (crank centerline to deck surface). After 20-30 years, it's really hard to say whether/how many times the deck has been resurfaced and/or align bored. Don't rely on the stock specs for this - they are more likely to be wrong than right at this point.

I wholeheartedly agree with Tim's comments. I am heading down this same road right now, stroker crank (LD28), 240Z-9mm rods and custom JE Pistons with Swain coatings.

All my measurements and machine work is being done by a very competant machine shop and they are ordering the pistons after their measurements and checking.

Yasin

I considered the stroker build but can't seem to locate an LD crank, if you have a spare lying around I'd be happy to do the stroker :) so my best bet is to go ahead and take the block in and have the machine shop help me order the custom pistons? of course once I order pistons for stock crank and rods I'll find an LD

I considered the stroker build but can't seem to locate an LD crank, if you have a spare lying around I'd be happy to do the stroker :) so my best bet is to go ahead and take the block in and have the machine shop help me order the custom pistons? of course once I order pistons for stock crank and rods I'll find an LD

Yes - have your machine shop get the proper dimensions.

If you can't find a stroker crank, I'd still recommend going with the L24 rods - I found these in the buy/sell/trade:

http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=3343&cat=17

(no affiliation - just saw the ad)

sio the longer rod and higher pin height is a good thing? I think I can get ahold of some L24 rods local it's the crank I can't seem to fine and questioned wether it's actually be worth the extra cost, my basic thinking was to just up the displacement and compression ratio

• 3 months later...
If you are going to the trouble of custom forged pistons, why not go to the L24 rods? For that matter, a stroker crank isn't that expensive if you are doing the custom pistons anyway...

Also, it would be a very good idea to get an accurate measurement of your block's deck height (crank centerline to deck surface). After 20-30 years, it's really hard to say whether/how many times the deck has been resurfaced and/or align bored. Don't rely on the stock specs for this - they are more likely to be wrong than right at this point.

A stroker is much more expensive when you consider the machine work that goes into it! Call Dave Robello or Balanced Performance.

I'm in the process of ordering forged instead of cast pistons for my 2.8 rebuild. L6 pistons don't seem to be readily stocked anymore?

I've contacted Wiesco, JE, and Arias and sets can be in excess of $900.00

I wasn't expecting that!

The source I'm considering is Paeco Industries http://www.paeco.com/Piston%20Prices.htm.

About $600.00 set without rings. Any bore, stroke, or compression.

I do agree, if you are doing a rebuild, "off the shelf", is probably not a good approach without checking your internals present conditions.

No definite decisions yet, I'll report back with my progress.

I welcome other suggestions.

A stroker is much more expensive when you consider the machine work that goes into it! Call Dave Robello or Balanced Performance.

What extra machine work is that? There is some block clearancing required, but that shouldn't be too big of a deal. The other main expense is in having pistons made that will have the correct compression height and yield the compression ratio that you want, but that should be a wash if you are having them made anyway. Did I miss something?

(I do have a stroker with custom forged pistons, btw)

I've had no personal dealings with them, but I have heard of others having problems with Paeco - I can't substantiate this, but you might want to ask around a bit more

I'm in the process of ordering forged instead of cast pistons for my 2.8 rebuild. L6 pistons don't seem to be readily stocked anymore?

I've contacted Wiesco, JE, and Arias and sets can be in excess of $900.00

I wasn't expecting that!

Last year I found a set of ITM cast pistons WITH Moly top rings for about $250. Bought them through BAP-GEON. If they don't have a store near you (likely), try the one in Colorado Springs, CO. IIRC, they were available in .010, .020, and .030 over.

well found a crank, now seeking rods :) then I got to order pistons , woo hoo!

Evil: Please post when you find pistons! I'm in need as well. Not willing to

drop a grand for pistons to go in my $50 shortblock!

TimZ: I've looked at your sig several times and scratched my head: Frank Zappa??????

well found a crank, now seeking rods :) then I got to order pistons , woo hoo!

ugh, dave your killing me. i thought i'd have my turbo motor built and on the road by now but it seems like thats far off, probably end of summer or so.

i have a question, you'll all probably laugh but i'm young and don't have half the experience you guys do, but what is the advantage and disadvantage to a stroker turbo motor?

I know azc has L28 flat tops for use with L24 rods. Don't know about the LD28 stroke though. http://arizonazcar.com/piston.html

those are the pistons i plan to use with the stock l28 crank, but if the stroker crank is stronger then i'd rather use it, not for more power reasons simply for the thought of running a more sound motor.

I know azc has L28 flat tops for use with L24 rods. Don't know about the LD28 stroke though. http://arizonazcar.com/piston.html

Dave is currently out of stock. This is an email I received from him:

I will restock them, price will be little changed, I'm taking suggestions on what bore/ rod people want.......let me know.

Dave

You should email him with your request.

chris