HybridZ

Ls1 coils

• Administrators

Chemicalblue,

Braap is correct... I have used them on an L6. Well, sort of... I used the truck version (per the linked picture) They're electrically identical. The difference is in the orientation of the HT and LT leads. They are on the same side for the LS1 but opposite sides for the truck model. I'm not certain of your application, but if you're looking at the L6, I prefer the truck coils for that reason.

Dave's price is great... I can't beat that. If you're looking for truck coils, I might be able to get you a set in the $20-$22 range. PM me if you need them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Tnx everyone for the feedback! I have already purchased the packs but Thanks for the great offers. Does anyone know the pinout on the stock version of these packs? I found this but I wanted to make sure it was right

http://www.rx7club.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=210279

tnx again

Links down, anywhere else that info might be available? Below are pics of the (LS2?) coils that are going to be direct fired by a M600 MoTec ECU.

2197_thumb.attach

• Administrators
so would a coilpack without an internal ignitor work with edis?

Hanson,

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Of course you would want to make sure the primary resistance of the coil/coil pack you intend to use is at least comparable to the primary resistance of the EDIS coil pack in an effort to reduce the chances of burning up the EDIS Module.

The EDIS “module” IS the igniter for the EDIS Ignition system so by default, the coil packs for EDIS-x do not have igniters built in. The Ford coil packs and the Chrysler coil packs we use with EDIS are essentially, in function, standard individual coils packaged in a single housing and each coil has two output terminals instead of just one like a standard DIZZY coil.

The “EDIS module”, (the Igniter for the coils used with the Ford EDIS-x ignition systems), is the doohickey in the bottom left corner of this picture.

Hope that helps,

EDIS-6Large.jpg

thanks braap. since the original question was answered, i hope we dont mind going a little off topic, basically i want to try a COP ignition with my sr20. the rwd versions already came with COP, but my head is a fwd, so im trying to get my hands on some coilpacks, good news is theat they dont have internal ignitors., i'm a bit of a newb to all this but i'm trying to learn. and i was thinking that maybe if i used an EDIS 8 on my 4cylinder, i could use it like a COP ign. instead of wasted spark. is my thinking correct on this? if i used the 4 triggers from edis 8, i could trigger each cylinder seperately? [so there's more time for the coils to chrage..thats the main advantage of true COP right?], this thing is going to be revving to 8200 rpm, and is turbo'd on top of that, so i figured id need a pretty strong spark.

• Administrators

Hanson,

I like your idea. Your theory sounds “sound” to me. (Is there an echo in here?.. ). In fact, I have thought about this same exact concept when I first delved into EDIS and brought it up on the EDIS section of the MS forum, though no one took the bait.

Ok, back to EDIS as sequential ignition set up on a Four cylinder…

First off, there are two ways to tackle your idea using EDIS to run sequential ignition on a 4 cylinder, i.e. , “not” wasted spark. The first one should be a no brainer, using coils that are compatible with the EDIS module. The 2nd idea really should be tested and verified, and might work just as well, better, or worse. It should at least be tested on the official “EDIS Test Bench” using the Fluke color “O” scope.. (hint hint Slider…)

1) EDIS-8, using 4 separate individual coils. Sounds good and should work as long the coils being used have primary resistance that wont cause the EDIS module to burn up. Also, not knowing the dwell time, or coil saturation time that EDIS uses vs the dwell time that the proposed coils will need to function at their peak performance, (this is critical for getting the most ignition performance).

2) 2 separate EDIS-4 systems, but with two 36-1 trigger wheels mounted on the “cam”, or dizzy, 180 degrees out of phase from each other i.e. the trigger wheels spinning at half crankshaft speed. The EDIS modules would just see the RPM as half what the engine is actually turning, i.e. your 8200 RPM, EDIS would only see it as 4100 RPM.

Option #2 now brings up another question. Does the EDIS module determine coil saturation time based on actual “time”, (dos it have an internal clock?), or based on cranking speed, i.e. is EDIS interpreting “time” based on what RPM it “thinks” the engine is turning and therefore interpreting “time” based on that? If so, then by using option 2, (spinning the 36-1 trigger wheel at half actual engine speed), coil saturation time would double. Then finding a coil that could handle that much saturation time….. That is if this theory is even remotely possible…

I may be WAY off here, (Ron Tyler would know better than I), but I think we should be testing this on the EDIS Test Bench.

1) EDIS-8, using 4 separate individual coils. Sounds good and should work as long the coils being used have primary resistance that wont cause the EDIS module to burn up. Also, not knowing the dwell time, or coil saturation time that EDIS uses vs the dwell time that the proposed coils will need to function at their peak performance, (this is critical for getting the most ignition performance).

this one sounds the best to me so far. becase i dont have a great deal of room for a cam sensor.[it would be on the back of the head near the firewall] although one could be fabricated to fit i think.

the proposed coils are s13 sr20det coils. [which should be on the way to me soon.] or q45 coils,[ because they would be fairly easy to get, and they utilize an external ignitor as well.] thats if i wanted COP sequential Ign.

but if i were to use the EDIS 8 coil it would a great deal simpler, not be COP, but still sequential.

• Administrators

2) 2 separate EDIS-4 systems, but with two 36-1 trigger wheels mounted on the “cam”, or dizzy, 180 degrees out of phase from each other i.e. the trigger wheels spinning at half crankshaft speed. The EDIS modules would just see the RPM as half what the engine is actually turning, i.e. your 8200 RPM, EDIS would only see it as 4100 RPM.

Braap/Hanson,

As you mentioned, dwell might be compromised.

The way I see it... its common practice to taper off the dwell at higher RPM. Peak ignition demand is typically at peak torque... no need to ask the coils to be fully saturated when demend is lower. This just makes them run hotter (due to increased duty cyle) and shortens their life unnecessarily. I would be very surprised if Ford designed EDIS with a fixed dwell. That said, if you’re cam driving EDIS, it would think the engine is at half actual speed. This scenerio *might* put the programmed dwell in the wrong RPM range. Then again, it might not. Only testing will determine that.

It would be interesting to map an EDIS system.... add it to your list Braap :D

• Administrators
Found this http://www.motec.com.au/drawings/m32.pdf which answers one question, probably, but I'm wondering what coils I have. LS2? (see pics above)

Those coils are definitely Denso. Not certain what application, though. $20 say's the pin-outs are the same...

A Engine Ground

B Logic Ground

C Signal

D 12v