HybridZ

found out something that hurt my feelings

typhoone

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was about to say, aluminum at 600 hp, there is no way that it won't warp.

cookson - the only problem with that is that i have a z31. is there anyone who can make those?

Sorry about that, I just meant that they make stuff for Z guys. They can do totally custom driveshafts to whatever specifications you want.

Bernardd Z is a perfect example of what a heavy 3000+ pound car can do without a 'big hp' number.... especially with open diff & pump gas, no standalone and 6500 rpm shifts. Well done guy!

Good to see the moded oe auto tranny held up. Is that a 3 or 4 speed ?

Makes me wonder if same mods performed on our starion jatco could yield similar results, same weight.

More gains probably found from intercooler and piping change.

What diff ratio ?

Good to see that forum up and running. My last visit to redz31 site, it wasn't active yet.

Bernardd Z is a perfect example of what a heavy 3000+ pound car can do without a 'big hp' number.... especially with open diff & pump gas, no standalone and 6500 rpm shifts. Well done guy!

Good to see the moded oe auto tranny held up. Is that a 3 or 4 speed ?

Makes me wonder if same mods performed on our starion jatco could yield similar results, same weight.

More gains probably found from intercooler and piping change.

What diff ratio ?

Good to see that forum up and running. My last visit to redz31 site, it wasn't active yet.

thanks for the props.

i believe the starion trans has the same guts. check the fsm against the keas info posted in the drivetrain section on the redz31 forum.

i'm upgrading the i/c piping to 2.5" over the winter. the gn i/c is staying for now. i'll measure the pressure drop before changing it out.

diff is a stock 3.54

I was looking on http://www.vg30et.com/ at the members rides. there is one guy on there who has 440 rwhp and 490 rwtq and he is only doin LOW TWELVES....WTF?!?! there has gotta be a way to get better times than that. I was thinking that with 500 hp I would AT LEAST be hitting low elevens. I am still going to start working on my Z and try to get up in the 500-600 hp ranges, and hopefully i'll be able to hit my mark...... :'-(

http://z31.com/misc/1320/

7's, 9's and 10's and many in the 11's...

Got lots of money? Can you drive? Then 12's and better are easily attainable...

• 2 weeks later...

The only way a Z31 will ever weigh 3400 lbs is if you dumped a bunch of bricks in the back. Even the 2+2 models barely got over 3200lbs.

The reason most of those cars are only in the 12s is traction issues. Every single one of them. Until you look at John Martin's times, I am pretty sure every car's time is still on street tires.

Another contributing factor to the traction issues is the IRS. It doesn't conform well to straight line racing.

the problem is the trailing link design rear suspension isnt designed for drag racing and it causes you tires contact patch to lessen as you accelerate. A nice solid axle conversion with a proper setup 4 link would have you grippin and rippin im sure. peace.

Semi trailing arm suspension can be modified to virtually eliminate camber change for traction purposes. Its not that difficult either, should be a lot cheaper than replacing the entire rear end.

Semi trailing arm suspension can be modified to virtually eliminate camber change for traction purposes. Its not that difficult either, should be a lot cheaper than replacing the entire rear end.

I would love to know how you do this cheaply without replacing the entire rear end. The only way I can see this happening is replacig the shocks or springs with solid bars so you no longer have suspension travel.

I would love to know how you do this cheaply without replacing the entire rear end. The only way I can see this happening is replacig the shocks or springs with solid bars so you no longer have suspension travel.

I just knew someone would ask :D

First of all it was 'virtually eliminate camber change' not eliminate it completely, thats impossible with semi trailing arms as you indicate. So, reduce camber change to the point where it is not a crucial issue, some relevant comment here

http://e30m3performance.com/tech_articles/susp-tech/rear_curves/index.htm

Solid mount the rear subframe, eliminate flex in the suspension bushes as far as possible, appropriate dampers and springs.