HybridZ

help! how do I set up v8 carb with 280zx linkage?

Hi guys,

Happy New year,

I'm stuck. What do I do about 1)carb linkage for a v8 chev in my 280zx.

2) can I use the original master cylinder for the clutch slave?

Please help.I'm soooo damn close to getting this car rolling.

Had the motor dyno'd at 480hp,480 ftlbs torque.

• Administrators

I'm stuck. What do I do about 1)carb linkage for a v8 chev in my 280zx.

Lokar throttle cables usually work well for that purpose. Search Summit or Jegs.

2) can I use the original master cylinder for the clutch slave?

I'm not ZX savvy but... I'll bet, if you use the search feature, you'll find your answer :wink:

I'll try to explain how I set it up on my LT1.

What I did was take the ball end of the old linkage that goes just inside the firewall (hooks up to the gas pedal)and screw that onto the end of a LOKAR 24" SS flexable cable and hooked that to the throttle body. I then made a bracket for the firewall to hold the cable steady. Then I used the supplied nuts on the cable to secure it to the throttle body.

DCP_1935-498x323.jpg

DCP_1936-497x323.jpg

Hope that helps some!

Guy

Or if your into junk yard parts pick up a throttle cable from a carbed Camaro, your ZX gas pedal will need to be bent up so the pedal travels farther before hitting the floor, you also need to make a small bracket to fasten the cable at the top of the pedal assy. A small square peice of sheet metal with a square hole in the center holds the cable steady from the engine side and blocks the hole that your stock throttle linkage went through.

I have an 83 SBC ZX and am running a Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger. I too used a Lokar throttle cable. Been running about 5 years with no issues. I would suggest chamfering the edges of the cable housing/nut and lubricating with graphite before installation though....

Lokar cable, attached one end to the gas pedal. Used some washers to hold the cable in place right through the stock hole in the firewall. Used a cable bracket setup from Summit, trimmed cable to the right length, fiddled with it a bit. It was really very easy.