HybridZ

Anyone live in or near Plano, TX?

Marduke

Hey all,

I don't post much as I find the info I need 99.9% of the time but have been lurking here for quite a while now. That being said, does anyone live near this area of TX? The wife and I are thinking about moving and I have a job waiting for me should I chose to take it. With the equity in my CA home I could buy some serious house in that area. 3 car garage is what I'm talking about!! :D

I'd love to hear from anybody in that area. How do you like it and is there anything to do?

Thanks!

My uncle lived in Plano years ago, we went to visit him when I was younger. Seemed like when they took us around, they drove us in to Dallas to show us the sights since at the time it wasn't all that built up. I imagine it's pretty different now though. I remember liking Texas, and Plano seemed nice enough.

Plano is nice. I live just south of Dallas, 20 miles. I have 1.5 acers. And the school system here in Midlothian Texas is one of the best. Do you have kids? Look Plano schools on the web if so. I would look into the taxes also. What kind of work are you getting yourself into?

Big Phil - I work for Countrywide and the company is slowly but surely migrating out of CA due to the business environment here. Plano is one of our hubs. It's not that I have to move, I have the opportunity to. No kids yet but planning on it soon.

Yah, I did look into the tax rate. No state income taxes but 2.5% property taxes (ouch). Even with that high rate, because of property values, it'll be about what I pay here in CA.

I'm hesitant but the fact that the houses look like friggin brick castles compared to my meager little house, at half the cost, is really winning me over. Lots to think about.

Thanks for the responses.

Marduke, my wife worked for countrywide until just recently...I hope that your experience there is better than hers. She'd come home upset to the point of tears every day, and it got so bad we had to open up a discrimination claim with human resources...she left there and works at Indymac now.

It was here in Tampa, FL. I think it must be something about this branch. They were making everybody work mandatory 30hrs overtime when she was leaving. Not too many of her work friends were enjoying their jobs, most of them have gone on to other things also. They would give my wife a hard time for being 2 or three minutes late to work, her manager tried to write her up for it. Then they started giving her a hard time for coming back from lunch 5 minutes early. They had her emailing the VP of her department literally every time she left and came back to her desk (bathroom breaks included). Nobody else in the department was getting that treatment. There was one day that her manager tried to tell the VP that my wife was late again, but this manager was actually an hour late that day, so how would she know one way or the other? Very wierd. Anyway, it took HR almost two months to acknowledge that they'd even been contacted, and by that time she'd found another job. Anyway, sorry to sidetrack your thread!

I live in Plano. Its got great schools if/when you decide to have kids. Housing is definately cheaper here than in california. 200-300k will buy you a damn decent size house like was said earlier in the the thread, but I don't know what size house you are looking at. As far as things to do, there is plenty to do in plano and dallas is only 15-20 minutes up the road as well.

It really is a nice city. Frisco and Allen are nearby as well and and are equally nice but still in the growing stages.

Let me know if have any questions.

Kevin