HybridZ

VG30DETT 280z conversion pics,ect.

G.I.jonas

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got an old turbo magazine somewhere around here that featured a nice vg30dett powered 280zx (or was it a 240?). Think it was auto tranny & ran mid 11s iirc.

lookin' good

• 4 weeks later...

Does the steering components clear this engine as it sits on your pics?

The motor is as far down as it can go without notching rails because of the tubos,but really the motor sits quite right,the bottom of the oil pan and transmission sit perfectly flush with the bottom of the car.

Hey thanks for the tecnical help,i can always use it.And to answer your question,the turbos are insalled now and were while pics were taken,you just cant see them in any of my angles.As far as turbo cleasrance i could see room for slightly larger ones without frame rail notching(which i am perfectly capable of but am wanting to avoid).I know my outlook will change when the car is done but right now my feelings are that im doing this particular conversion for the fact that this engine is already a monster in stock form,plus it will be in a really light car.Im sure this engined tuned to what its capable with stock turbos will keep me happy for some time.

Once im finished with the exhaust i think next step is to start rewiring the car....yay.By the way would anyone want to get a free pair of adjustable lower control arms?I am making some for my car and have decided to make more for the purpose of selling online,however my car is not running yet so i cant test them.Anybody with a flashy car(so i can get some good pics too) is welcome to this offer provided that you can convince me you wont just take them and run.I need someone to put them to the test and simply report back to me with any problems or suggestions.

Oh yea and the steering doesnt fit in stock position,it wont be hard to fix but i havnt done that yet.

;)

No the steering will be easy,basically the only obstruction is my mounts themselves.What i plan to do is mount a pillow style bearing right to the top of my existing engine mount and incorperate a couple of u joints or possibly some small scale cv's and its done,However i may not complete the steering rack end of the shaft right away as i am considering a z32 power rack since the engine already has a pump.Then again it would be easy to make a diff shaft anytime from the bearing to rack.

No the steering will be easy,basically the only obstruction is my mounts themselves.What i plan to do is mount a pillow style bearing right to the top of my existing engine mount and incorperate a couple of u joints or possibly some small scale cv's and its done,However i may not complete the steering rack end of the shaft right away as i am considering a z32 power rack since the engine already has a pump.Then again it would be easy to make a diff shaft anytime from the bearing to rack.

I fell in love with the early Z's mainly because of the rack and pinion steering. I didn't like the later Z's when they started making them like luxury cars.

Just my 2 cents worth. I like it like a true sports car it is without the power steering stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

hey gijonas vbmenu_register("postmenu_736139", true); , oops sorry about the copy paste, lol.

Just to touch base with you about these vg mounts that i was told about by a mate of mine, who has the vgdett ready to go, and i must say very nice and simple way of achiveing the task, i had laid out some measurements etc and was also worried about the tubos so we gave it a break for another day.

when you get around to it, for a RHD would this steering link setback still be present or worse?

from what i could see both tubos are mounted exactly the same for both sides, ie no lh or rh turbo etc, just a stupid intake and dump pipe arangement from the factory.

Have you maybe thought that rotaing the turbo ie compressor to the ex side would increase/decrease the clearance for a steer shaft in either RHD or LHD?? just a thought.

On another note our Aus delivered/MODIFIED corvette's have the most stupidest RHD conversion i have ever seen, cant believe its legal!!! from what i have seen has a pivot bar actuating the brake and a chain coupling to operate the LHD components (throttle is just a relocation).

Thought this might have some bearing onthis thread and any other info re the vgdett swap would be awsome. even pics that you think may be useless but actually show something that may be of use, especially for a RHD car. EVERYTHING IS BACKWARDS IN THE US. All you guys must hate having the handbrake on the pass side of the car, may aswell just have the clutch in the boot and the indicator stalk in the toolbox. ROFL:lol: :lol: :lol:

(sorry to heckle, just had to drop it)

nato

• 3 weeks later...

imgp0061hh8.jpg

imgp0060fz2.jpg

now lowered! :D

imgp0055wx8.jpg

imgp0057ps7.jpg

imgp0056pi1.jpg

imgp0058jx3.jpg

ITS TOGETHER AND STARTS AGAIN! :D Sounds tuff with the new exhaust manifolds,and exhaust (3.5 inch half the way then 3 inch )

]these are shots taken under the car at the rear, you can see the bottom of the fuel tank, the fuel pumps ect. You can see the bushes on the srung steel bar holding the diff are aluminum,the diff twisting under take off would mash the bushes, so turning up new ones to make it solid was the only way to beat the problem. B)

datsunundercar0016ql.jpg

datsunundercar0039oh.jpg

datsunundercar0024ec.jpg

The steering is not TOOOO hard. If you go to larger turbos, then even more work is neccessary.

The setup looks similar to my VG30ET. I got a nice sit back position of the engine, but I had to notch the frame rail a good inch to give me the additional clearance for the steering shaft to maintain good angles.

I see in your pics you just smoothed out the rails whehn you braced it with additional metal.

Becareful about steering angles. I used another universal steering joint to get the steering shaft to go around the turbo, but you can't just change the angle to what ever clears the turbo. You may find some difficulty in the steering afterwards. Ie you may find the steering is not smooth, and that steering effort is not the same as you turn the wheel from lock to lock. It took a lot of playing with the steering u joint position to find a smooth steering motion.

I did the the tests using temporary mount for the steering shaft to keep it from binding. I used a heim joint, that the steering shaft slid neatly through. I then tried various 3 dimensional positions, until the steering was smooth from lock to lock.

Good luck!