HybridZ

In the state of Florida

zliminator

does anyone know if its illegal to not have a back window? I want to replace the back hatch with a piece of fiberglass and maybe just have some louvers on it.

Dan

I think it's illegal pretty much everywhere if you dont have a rear window, or a way too look out the rear... but dont quote me on that

Im from melbourne florida the east coast . i had a blacked out window in the rear of a z once same as not being there but only was legal at least where i lived if ya had 2 outside rear view mirrors such as on each door .And if ya put louveres over it ya may never get stoped .

id go without louvers to make a statement might look cool show some pics if and when ya do it .

Jason

Why do you want an opaque rear window? Maybe you need to hide a pricey audio system? I'd just keep the glass (or Lexan) and use a combination of tint and louvers.

EDIT: Forgive me if I'm being dense but do you mean that you want to have an "open" rear window... fiberglass with louvers open to the outside? If so, won't the interior get dirty and full of bugs... rodents maybe?

I think it's illegal pretty much everywhere if you dont have a rear window, or a way too look out the rear... but dont quote me on that

You're quoted...

And nope, no requirement for a rear window in California. None whatsoever.

Check it out in the CVC, I didn't believe it, either!

California is not Flordia. However, CVC Sec. 26709 (a) states "Every motor vehicle registered in a foreigh jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.

(B) The following discribed types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle: (1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear. (2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon abstructs the driver's view to the rear".

Basically, you need 2 mirrors. One exterior drivers side door, and one inside rear view...OR one on each exterior of the driver and passanger side doors. The big thing here is unobstructed view of 200 feet to the rear.

Check with your local SO, PD or FHP for other restrictions that may apply. Hope this helps.

VAN...and if your wondering; yes I do and yes I am!

Why do you want an opaque rear window? Maybe you need to hide a pricey audio system? I'd just keep the glass (or Lexan) and use a combination of tint and louvers.

EDIT: Forgive me if I'm being dense but do you mean that you want to have an "open" rear window... fiberglass with louvers open to the outside? If so, won't the interior get dirty and full of bugs... rodents maybe?

and my Gosh, what about the fumes? Of course not. I just want to save some weight. I also have a backup cam I was going to sneak in somewhere.

Dan

California is not Flordia. However, CVC Sec. 26709 (a) states "Every motor vehicle registered in a foreigh jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.

(B) The following discribed types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle: (1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear. (2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon abstructs the driver's view to the rear".

Basically, you need 2 mirrors. One exterior drivers side door, and one inside rear view...OR one on each exterior of the driver and passanger side doors. The big thing here is unobstructed view of 200 feet to the rear.

Check with your local SO, PD or FHP for other restrictions that may apply. Hope this helps.

VAN...and if your wondering; yes I do and yes I am!

nice website, what kind of software did you use to do that with?

Dan

That is the section of the CVC (CALIFORNIA Vehicle Code) that applies to rearward vision. It's not the Florida Statute. As I said, though, in California there is no requirement for a rear window, or internal rearview mirror, if you have two mirrors facing rearward, and since most vehicles do have two external mirrors these days, no internal rearview is required...

It is common for people to paint the back windows an opaque color to keep the sun out and let the A/C have an easier time of it. Lots of heat comes in that way!

I would think that Florida being different than California could be easily assumed. The post was directed at the statement that 'it was pretty much illegal everywhere'---which was not correct, and an example given as to why was proffered by me in California's Case. I could do so for Michigan as well, but the "Delivery Van" and "Panel Van" examples did that just as handily.

The California V.C. is posted online at the http://www.ca.gov website. I might think Florida's may be as well...who knows?

Remember those trucks, vans, etc were designed to have no rear window and mostly on purpose due to the loads they haul and that's why they have those ugly wide mirrors, I'd like to see your Z with them babies on it.That would be a new set of flares on the side of a Z. If your car was designed and produed with it (rear window)you need it. If you paint it I would think you violate the tint law and can get a citation under 316.294 for applying a film (opaque liquid film) tint violation

Abstract: (a) Sunscreening material consisting of film which, when applied to and tested on the rear window glass of the specific motor vehicle, has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 15 percent in the visible light range; however, sunscreening material which, when applied to and tested on the rear window glass of the specific motor vehicle, has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not ...

Or to use the catch all 316.610 for improper or unsage equipment, because you can't obstruct the driver's view out of the vehicle.

Do yourself a favor and DONT do that.

If good officer stopped ya they'd just laugh and tell ya to fix it, with a fix it ticket. Then you'd be buying a new hatch or cuttin' out what you put in.

If you really must, do what you want. Get a loan and be ready to pay fix it tickets whenever an officer decides to write you. That would be $49 a pop since you are not going to fix it. Oh and dont forget the first one you pay a day late your DL gets suspended and the reinstatement fees climb all the way to $500+. No fun.

Having a window sounds pretty good to me.

Hold on, 316.2954 allows it if you look at it. You can do what you want as long as you meet the specifications for side mirrors in 316.294. You must install side mirrors making a reflective surface for the driver to see a minimum of 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle. If not it is a nonmoving citation which is $71.50 and no points on you license each offense.

So, you can it looks like, but you can still get a ticket and may have to fight it in court if an officer just writes you under the improper or unsafe equipment statute. Then you have to argue your case in front of the hearing officer and appeal to the judge if the hearing officer rules against ya.

This is NOT a legal opinion, but rather a reference for you to research and aid you in looking for the related statutes.:flamedevi

I remember seeing a z somewhere, here, zcar or maybe craigslist that had a plate put up from the inside wall of the rear of the car (inside the hatch) up to where the hatch meets the body, effectively blocking all vision. The plate was built to hold up some stereo stuff, and it might have been a show car so this might just be a mute point, but he had a camera pointing outward and a flat panel in the dash for viewing. pricey but might be worth it if this is what you're after