HybridZ

Healight Covers - Metal Trim

z-ya

Pete, Ken L has been trying to swipe mine for the past few years....now I know why he always stops when he's down this way.....:D

I bought mine back when you could still get them from Nissan...and the last few new sets I've seen being sold were getting up near the 800-1K for a pair of NIB covers.

I emailed you a pic of one of mine, although, it's not all that great a picture.

Pete, Ken L has been trying to swipe mine for the past few years....now I know why he always stops when he's down this way.....:D

I bought mine back when you could still get them from Nissan...and the last few new sets I've seen being sold were getting up near the 800-1K for a pair of NIB covers.

I emailed you a pic of one of mine, although, it's not all that great a picture.

part number please?

I'm curious to see if a metal fabricator could just make the metal trim. Make it from stainless so you can chrome or polish them. Make the trim so it would work with the MSA style covers but have the metal trim cover the holes. Or, find out who makes the covers for MSA, and have them make a bunch without the holes.

2ManyZs: yea, I know Ken has been trying to pry a number of things from you. But you know, it is a shame to keep those hidden away in a box somewhere. They need to be proudly display on a nice Z (like mine, or Kens).

Seriously, if we did find someone that could make them, can we borrow yours just to use as a template?

The part number for the OEM covers are:

63900-E4126 R/H

63901-E4126 L/H

Don't worry Pete, there's a car sitting in my garage that's going to wear them as soon as I finish the body and paint work athough, it's taking a lot longer than I had planned.:roll:

I know a guy locally that could probably make them with little trouble, but he's not interested in making large numbers of parts to sell since he's a couple years behind in orders for other handmade parts. He used to work for Boyd Coddington and he was building a house and was way behind in his shop.

It might be possible to make the MSA lenses work, but they wouldn't look the same as those lenses sit inside the bucket and these are a bit larger, which means you would have to make a wider trim plate in order to mount both the trim to the bucket and the lense to the trim.

There is one guy on CZC who was trying to have duplicates made, but I don't know where he's at with his attempt. The lenses are the easy part, it's the trim and gasket that are going to be the difficult part to fab. It's going to take someone with some fantastic metal working abilities to fabricate the SS trim with it's U shape and the compound curves.

All,

I'm planning of having the covers reproduced locally (Ohio) by an aerospace plastics company that makes aircraft canopies.

Here is a post to the original post that I made here on Hybridz:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114846

I've had several people ask about the trim (chrome rings). I spoke with Will from CZC about his efforts to reproduce these parts as well and it would appear that he did SIGNIFICANT research and planning to have the trim made in Mexico. His connection and parts (and investment) dried up and he stopped his efforts. He and I might look into a joint effort to make these available depending on demand (and final cost).

Here is a link to Will's posts on CZC.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14343&highlight=chrome+headlight

Thanks!

Jay

May sound sacreligious, but why get hung up on METAL rings?

Why not simply have an injection moulder do a set in palstic that you have vapor-chromed.

Looks will the identical (you don't really torque the hell out of them anyway to get them ot fit), and cost and reproduction would be much cheaper. Replacements are a few $$$ Away afterwards.

I mean, millions upon millions of chrome grilles are produced for Ford/Nissan/Dodge/Chevy/TRUCKS, and there is no real downside to the plastic on the front of the vehicle...

I have a set of the rings, and a RIGHT cover (or was it left...) whatever side I didn't hit, that's the cover that is still intact. The covers will break if you hit something concrete, though the ring seems to survive with minor tweakage...

Tony,

I think you are spot on... especially if complexity (and therefore cost) increase with metal as the material.

I have been thinking that fiberglass is doable and probably easiest for smaller numbers on production. Everyone "wants" a set right now. The molds for the lenses are going to cost me about $600. I'm not looking to sink $500-$1000 startup costs into something that I can't even break even on.

Thanks!

Jay