HybridZ

vg30et in a z32?

Guest goeatpaiste

Guest goeatpaiste

well i currently have a 1984 turbo 300 5spd and the body is quittin on me getting rusted out and such. I have always wanted a z32 but I dont really want the pain in the ass associated with the twin turbo and plus i like the motor i have and the mods i have on it. How hard would it be to swap out the vg30et into a n/a z32? mounts are not a prob and i want to keep my tranny too.

thanks for the help i couldnt find any info on this anywhere at all.

and i know, the vg30de has 222hp, but my vg30et has much more than that and is not done bein modded yet.

stevo

I've actually thought about this myself. The VG30ET is definitely an awesome engine, and in my opinion, is probably more reliable than the VG30DE(TT). Its also a bit lighter as well. Tons of low end torque, able to handle some good power, much smaller package... you can't really go wrong.

You might look into using a Z32 n/a 5-speed. It'll be stronger for one but it'll bolt right up whereas the earlier trannies probably use a different crossmember that will require some modding to put on the Z32. If you do use it that'll save you driveshaft headaches as well. Just bolt it to the VG30ET, bolt the tranny to its stock location, make your motor mounts and bolt it down, then use an aftermarket one piece driveshaft.

I think it would definitely be fun. If you do the swap, be sure to take a lot of pictures. I'd like to see how it looks.

I like the vg30et over the vg30dett, the way they did the twin turbos in my opinion is stupid...

they thing I dont like about the z32 body is that in my opinion its ugly...(a lot of people like how the z32 looks, I just dont...) and the z32 is heavier... but with that you have a lsd

does that tranny bolt up to a vg30et?

Guest goeatpaiste
Yeah, the bolt pattern is the same between the VG30E(T) and VG30DE(TT).

the trannies have the same bolt pattern to mount to the engine? because I would have no prob using a 5sp z32 tranny. my motor is stock internals but runnin 10psi with a bov, no intercooler, just 93 octane. but im sure hp is quite more than 222 and thats about 40 short of the max for basic mods on a vg30de. the twin turbos are way expensive and are a PITA. The magnaflow on my Z is mint too. Totally quiet even when you get on it, but amazing flow, just a low end growl. Keeps the police away, even goin fast. I would keep the same muffler.

In reality I wish i could just make my car not rust, but if I have to retire her, I want to put the engine which runs like new to good use.

thanks for the replies

stevo

• 3 years later...

That's a really good idea. I've often though that if my VG30DE dies (Z32 NA 2+2) I might look at putting in a VG30ET from a later 300ZX. That way I'd get to turbo, but I wouldn't have to worry so much about all the Stuff the VG30DETT requires. Sure it's less refined than the DE, but it's more HP and cheaper than another DE would be. From what I understand the blocks are the same, but the heads are what's huge on the DE and the DETT. So it's the same tranny pattern, same engine mounts. I'm sure someone must have done it. Though tell the State that the Donor engine is newer. Usually they don't allow older engines to be put into newer year cars.

Phar

Its been done, I think issues come into play like clearance for the intake manifold because the SOHC VG has a taller lower intake manifold, as well as the drivers side motor mount if you're using the VG30ET. The motor mount on the drivers side on NA Z31s is moved forward to make room for the turbo, but Z32s including the TTs use the NA VG style mounting, so a NA SOHC VG will bolt right in with no problems, but a turbo will not without using NA mounts...in which case you lose the stock location for the turbo. If you use a Maxima flywheel, you can use the Z32 transmission. The blocks are similar, but the DE has different oil and coolant holes, and the heads on the DE only use 8 bolts per head, while the SOHC uses 13 per head.