HybridZ

My first Z

"Since 1984, Utahns in the densely populated Salt Lake, Davis, Utah, and Weber counties have taken their cars in for mandatory emissions testing every two years. Utah is unique in that it requires smog checks only in the counties that are the worse offenders, due to the number of cars they have on the road, rather than requiring these tests statewide."

The above statement is from the Utah DMV site. As I read it if you have a car registered in any county except the above four there is no smog test done....Damn....

I REALLY hope you're right. I live in summit county. That would make things a bit simpler.

update:

here is a reply I got from an email I sent to the DMV:

Those four counties are currently the only counties in Utah that

require emission inspection. You would only require a safety inspection for

Summit County.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact our

Customer Service Department for further assistance at 1-801-297-7780 or

1-800-368-8824.

Thank you,

D. Johnson

Division of Motor Vehicles

Utah State Tax Commission

YAY

quick question: if someone wants to sell me a car that they say is "converted to fit a V8" and they have all the JTR parts to go along with it, along with a 305 engine,w hat kind of time commitment am I looking at to do it myself? Is it something I could do with no previous experience (though probably with the help of my father, a former VW mechanic)? Or should i just stick with just trying to find one that has already had the swap done?

I suggest you stop a minute and read this thread and the link provided in Jon's post....http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=118064 .

If I was you I'd buy a stock Z first and get a feel for the car and then search all the tech. forums for upgrades to your Z. Make a plan with a budget and start gathering parts so that when you have them all you can execute the plan in a hopefully smooth flow.

LARRY

In my option, if you are looking to buy a late model car and pay someone else to keep it running you better have some money.

Or get interested and start learning to maintain your own car. I know my car inside and out, I enjoyed learning and making my own decision on what I wanted to fix or upgrade. I installed a V8 into a 280Z and I'm proud of it. When I show it off I don't have to tell people I bought it that way. Also I know its done right. Later I want to install heads and a Cam to increase HP, than nitro or a turbo. This all will cost and take lots of time. That’s the best part!

If you find a well done V8 with a well done body it will cost you $10 plus. That is what I have into my car and I got the car free.. It adds up real fast. A 30 year old car needs almost everything replaced. At least everything cleaned and re- lubricated..