HybridZ

Jim McNemar's Zcar - Round 2

Mikelly

Some of you will remember Jim McNemar's Zcar project from about two years ago. The car was upgraded from a SCARAB setup to JTR mounts, complete overhaul on the motor, to include Holley EFI, aluminum heads, cam, balancing, roller drivetrain, you name it, they did it, except get it to run.

The suspension had been overhauled, as had the brakes and driveline. Jim had spent big bucks on my recommendation and that or Ross and MML. The car was coming along good when an errant spark from a fabricator welding inside the car ignited in a racing seat's foam and the car went up in flames, burning the roof paint, melting the original scarab door panels, ruining the dash and the wiring harness/fuse panel. The damage was "repaired" by the shop that did all the work and the car was eventually given to Jim to drive. I think Jim actually drove the car MAYBE 100 miles in the last two years, due in no small part to the lack of drivability, the "iffy" wiring replacement, the clutch slave bearing used (HOWE unit), and the fact that the idiots involved in the build didn't have knowledge of standalone ECU tuning at all.

So last weekend here in Va. it was 78 degrees on Saturday. I'd brag about our "east coast" weather, but today the high will be in the 40s where I am. I dropped by Jim's house to drop off a check for that spec-miata race car rental all the way back in April of last year. We'd both forgotten about the $400... Until I balanced the year out... So here I am on Jim's door with check in hand... First thing he asks is if I have room in my garage... Of course, for Jim, Pete P., Jamie T., Doug C., David and a few others... I've always got room... We walk around his Red Zcar and I see the car sitting with rust on the roof, where the paint repair from the fire didn't take and the roof paint literally POPPED off in softball sized chunks. My heart sank looking at this masterpiece of a machine... So...

Today I'm picking Jim's car up and it'll be occupying the second bay in my detached garage. I'll start by ordering the correct Tilton slave unit for the clutch setup. I'll also try to sort out why the car won't hold a charge, won't allow the fan to stay running long enough to cool the car, and won't idle. Pics as soon as I get the car unloaded and in the garage. But here are some from the original project that started in early Spring of 2004 when this project begun and was underway.

Sept. 2004

Jims-Day-1-004.jpg

New motor in Summer 2005!

KIF_0889.jpg

CCWs, MML Extreme brakes, ZFR front suspension, AZC Rear suspension...

Jims-Day-1-039.jpg

Jim in the car after many months waiting for the original fire issues to be resolved...

KIF_0814.jpg

Custom built 355CI Chevy w/ T5 custom trans/R200 LSD

KIF_0892.jpg

Guest 280ZForce

Man, the car looks great! Once you get the tuning done and figure out the bugs, I'm sure it will haul a$$!

any side shots of the car? I'm trying to get a 1st gen side view of those CCW Classics and only other Z I've seen with 'em was Amir's blue 260z but only very small pics available now.

would appreciate it.

Thanks - Justin

Yea, well I would too... But it ain't me and Jim just wanted to be done with them... I'll help sort it out and fix the mess... Not that big a deal all things considered. Jim is fortunate to not have the stress on financial worry, so now the focus is just on getting the car running and getting it tuned, then getting it painted again!

I picked the car up tonight and I'll have it unloaded tomorrow and in the shop. I've got some parts I need to order ASAP. Hopefully it'll be running again in two weeks... Jim has me on strict orders that I can't buy a Viper when I sell the M Roadster... GT2 Porsche or C6Z06... Damn. Decisions decisions... :lmao:

Mike :cool:

Terry, We both can't even comments since the car hasn't run properly since the install. I've got the same setup on my car as well, and I can't really comment yet. I have a tuner in North Carolina who will likely be tuning both the cars... Possibly back to back the way this is unfolding.

Mike

Tom, YOu can help with ALL of the wiring and electrical... Heck you can help with my own little wiring fiasco as well... :lmao:

Seriously, I'd like to get my own car to a state of completion so it can be fired up, as well as Jim's. His is a hair closer to being fired up though. I'm ording some parts for his car this coming week, and I'm just gonna slap on a carb, unhook the fuel injection and see if I can get the car to start and run, which has been an issue. I'll be buying a FPR and fuel pump for a carburetor as well, so I'm hoping this thing will be an easy fix, other than removing the drivetrain for the Hydraulic release bearing fix.

Jim's car is unloaded and in the shop now. I've got it covered up for the moment and won't get to it until next weekend when parts arrive. I'll be running up to Winchester this morning to get some used 18 inch tires one fo the Vette guys is giving me for my new wheels. These tires are just going to be used to help with final brake/suspension setup on mine. I drilled all the holes and mounted the ZG flares this past week, and willl remove the flares and spoilers for final paint. I want to clean everything up on those parts that will be satin black and get some good primer on, then final coats of paint. Getting the garage warm enough for the paint to NOT run has been an issue, but I'll work it out... I'll be working on the brakes and measuring up for a driveshaft for mine this weekend. I'll also install the starter and headers.

Mike