HybridZ

Replaced my points... New "cannon" intake manifold!

badjuju

So. 73, 99k miles, looks like the factory points were still on it, they were about fried. There is a Holley 600 or 650 on it, which is jetted for something other than this car. something with a bigger engine.

As of thursday, the car fell on its face before 2000 rpm, but between 2-7k it would pull like a demon. much faster than my 81 turbo.

Friday I'm looking for something to do with my car until my friend helps me jet the carb down. I decide to replace the points. I replace the points. Set the gap to .5mm at the high point on the dizzy cam, she starts up. I go to rev, it shoots a gas plume up out of my carb. It then shoots a flaming gas plume up out of my carb. 4 feet above the holley or so.

I look at my timing, it's fully advanced. I turn it down. It doesn't start.

I advance it again, it starts, then I turn it ever so slightly down, and it dies.

I've checked and rechecked my point gap, wtf is going on?

I thought maybe the vacuum advance wasn't working, so they turned the regular advance all the way up, and the points being messed up kept it from advancing too far? Gah i'm confused.

I turn it advanced again, it starts, I unplug the vacuum advance, the car dies.

The timing chain is in sync with the dizzy's rotor, it turns in either direction with a rotation of the crank, no slop.

Also, how well do the $20 dwell meters work? is it just a very low end oscilliscope?

Any Ideas?

• 6 years later...