HybridZ

California Smog

datz280

A diesel dosen't weight much more than any other well-bulit engine of the same design. Some diesel engine designs may weight more, but they're built to last forever and take a pounding. There is nothing about being diesel that makes the engine heavier. Take a look at the 2JZ if you want a heavy engine, and that's gas.

Also, many of the diesel motors you see are truck motors. Look at the LD28, it's not heavier then the L28. I'm sure the little TDI motor you have dosen't weigh much at all.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the deal, I do know that some people get diesel cars , rip out the diesel, and install a hi-po gasser in there.

It's a common scam. They just want to avoid the smog inspection.

In L.A. it's a lot easier to simply plate the vehicle out of state to avoid smog.

Doing an engine change from diesel to gasoline is an extremely diffisult way to go to avoid a smog, IMO. There are far easier methods of evasion than that!

As for a non-op, you can't do that unless it's within 90 days of expiration...I just went through that one! Apparently, once you have paid registration fees on a vehicle in the state, you are STUCK for the duration of the year with a registered vehicle, you CAN NOT PNO the vehcile until the 90 day window. So if you don't have insurance on the vehicle for whatever reason, they suspend the registration, and you have to pay $14 to 'reinstate' it... Besides waiting till 90 days before expiration to PNO a vehicle that hasn't moved 50 feet in 7 years....

Like I said, don't get me started on the idiots at the DMV...

In on the subtopic of diesel. Wouldn't it be easier to swap a diesel into the car just to get the "Diesel tag" then swaping in what ever you want. I think this falls into the little (or gigantic) grey area involving smogging.

Like I said, there are far easier methods to get around smog than to swap a diesel in there, get it inspected and through the referee station, and then pull it all out again to install an petrol engine. Lots of work for something that can be had much easier just moving paperwork.

all 07 are now can. Fed req. Bar says to not do obd 2 test on 07-06 cars. Its rolling forward . Read apendix j. in the emmisions guide. 4-6 monitors have to be completed to pass the test. so if you disconect the batt and clear a check engine light. when the obd 2 test id done you will fail for monitor not completed. So cars can be very hard to get the monitor to run. Even performing repeated drive cycles . Old Kia sportages are very hard.

• 3 months later...

the original question i had is, is a megasquirt carb leagle?

i am serioulsy concidering the install to help eliminate a lot of hassels i have with the stock efi, co=.3 required 1.0 hc was way high hc=1400 ppm,car is in so. ca. adn it was originally from texas, it only has an evap system, no cat, no egr (N42 head and intake) and now it has developed a new problem that it likes to cut out and die when i stop... HELP!!!

i live in a high desert near victorville, a lil town in an unincorporated part of San Bernardino County, called Phelan

I have been through Phelan 8X in as many days (actually 16X...coming and going on the 138 and Sheep's Creek Road....)

A Federal Car will pass to Federal Specs if all is working correctly. Don't think the MS will solve a problem you have with a bad sensor or bad connections.

You are either rich or lean, and doing a tune-up is a good place to start. Get the EFI bible and go step-by step through the EFI system cleaning and checking as you go. The stock Federal EFI system spins the Dynojet on my 75 2+2 to 147hp, and passes smog easily. The only reason I considered MS for it was to get an O2 Feedback Loop and leaner for Cruise.

But to reiterate, NO, it's not CARB Legal to install a MS. And to do it and conceal it, you usually have to hack the stock harness (easy enough to do) but if your STOCK HARNESS is ALREADY giving you problems, then fix those FIRST otherwise you will only compound your issues.

BTW, what Texas Car do you have? a 76? That would be the last year of "Federal" with no EGR. It should say in the stickers on the car "NON CATALYST" and etc. relating to the Federal Status of the vehicle.

I don't plan on being in Phelan again now till the first or second weekend in June when I will be running the Land Speed Car up at El Mirage...

No, it is not legal. You cannot make it legal either. You can hide it somehow and get the other smog devices working properly and fool a tech, but it will not be legal.

What he said.

Post your smog numbers and everything about your car, maybe we can

help with your smog problem.

Sean

Smogtech

There are plenty of places that will pass it with a sniffer only test, you just gotta know where to go. I know quite a few guys every year in several of my different car clubs that pay off people a hundred or 2 bucks to just sniffer and no visual anything. If you dont wanna do that just register it i na zop code that requires no smog inspecvtion at all for any year car...and there are many still in California that require no smog testing within certain counties zip codes. I used to a know a guy that had like 30+ different cars registered at his address for people so they didnt have to smog em.

You should come out to the El Mirage Land Speed Event second Weekend in June, we will be running there again, after we install the BadDog Frame Rails to satiate the tech inspectors... Otherwise I'll probably drive by, I know the area...