HybridZ

HKS and Tial

stony

AMEN!

but what else are you supposed to do if you are a broke college kid and need to get your car running? i say that its fine if you buy one, but you have no room to complain if the wastegate fails and overboosts and pop-goes-the-weasel.

speaking of which, has anyone heard of a TiAL failing?

When would a college kid ever run into the situation where they need to buy a TiAL or TiAL knockoff 'to get their car running'? :wink:

Maybe if more ppl bought TiAL, said college kid could work at TiAL to get some money rather than having to flip burgers with the immigrants and restless retired.

I've not heard of a TiAL ever breaking or failing when used in a proper manner (including endurance racing).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here are some REAL numbers!!!!

First off let me start by saying Im not against buying american and im not trying to finance the communists BUT........

The cheapo ebay intercooler that i was assured would not make more then 450 HP and would explode with more then 15 PSI made 600+ @ 22 PSI and kept the inlet air temp at 85F!!!!

the Tial knockoff worked like a champ and didnt leak a bit.

and the SSAC 60mm wastegate held 14.8 with the adjustment screw all the way out... i mean literally ... it fell out. Once i reinstalled and adjusted it in it held 22 PSI rock solid.

Not saying go out and buy this stuff but if your on a budget... well you can save some money in this area. Also remember quality control sux and just because i had good luck dosnt mean you will. take everything apart and inspect it before use.

Stony, I had the smaller intercooler on my car for 2.5 years and ran over 18psi on a regular basis. No problems. I just replaced it because I smashed it with a jack on accident. I crushed the bottom row and tube so I didn't trust it. Fit and finish was very good.

I just installed the larger intercooler 31" wide or so. Once again, fit and finish looks pretty good. The fin density on the outside is not quite as high as the smaller unit surprisingly enough. Still, it works very well and I cannot justify 5x the price for a spearco etc.. when there is a chance Ill just smash it like I did the last one.

FYI for everyone, I am now running a Forgemotorsports blow off valve and it works great. They are not flashy, and pretty basic looking. That said, the price is very reasonable. I paid 165 for mine with a tuning kit and recirculating capability (it was one of the mid/high priced units). They are not knockoffs, and I suggest them if you are not totally set on a tial bov.

Thanks for the update Stony.

Evan

Stony, I might have missed it but what spring are you running with your tial knock off. I have no idea what the stock spring is but I ordered a reall tial replacement spring that is either 11 or 12 lbs. Can't remember.

My BOV sounds like it is leaking under moderate boost but I'm not sure.

Not sure on the spring rate on the blow off.

BUT i did take it apart and check everything over to make sure there were no imperfections in the mating surfaces and all the internal diaphragms where in place

• 2 months later...

Hmm...bringing this back from the dead with a bit of personal experience with SSAC...

A couple of years ago I purchased a turbo setup from them that I didnt end up using, so we put some of the stuff on my buddy's SR'd 240sx coupe. We used the large FMIC that I got, which still works great to this day, and we put on one of their very very poorly manufactured turbos on the car to see what we could get out of it. Took us all night to get everything in the car, hooked up and ready to go. Started the car up, and ran through the break in procdedure, and let her fun for a good hour or so just to circulate the oil and coolant through the turbo, etc. Upon the first spool of the turbo, it sounded amazing...until it un-spooled...as it wound down, it sounded like a shrieking monster with a crazy high pitched whine...

One turbo down...

Got a replacement from them and threw her on. And what do you know...that one failed as well.

Well, after that, I wanted a refund, as I now knew that they we're crap...well, their customer service was absolutely HORRIBLE. I've never delt with a company that was as rude as these guys we're. He was literally insulting me via email. He pretty much admitted that their turbo's we're crap, and proceded to insult me further....

Needless to say, I'll never deal with them again. I cut my losses and moved on. I can now say that I honestly believe that its better to get the real deal thing instead of trying to go cheap. Who knows what kind of costs it could generate in the long run...especially when we're talking about boost management...what happens if/when your wastegate fails, and your boost skyrockets and your pistons become metal shards laying at the bottom of your oil pan? How much money would it have really saved you?

All in all, in my opinion, its not worth it. The extra cost is worth the peace of mind that I'll get knowing that I'm dealing with a reputable company who will back their product 100%...

If i didn't mention it before i have safety devices in place that will limit boost if anything fails. As anyone should because even the name brand stuff fails!!!!

Oh yea staying on topic we are talking about the 60MM waste gate and 50mm tail look a like. The Chinese turbos have been well documented all over the web.

So Stony. Still running these today?

How hany miles you racked up on em? How much boost have they seen?

I am about to get some for my 1jz. Just wanted some more reassurance from someone that knows first.

peace

tc

I have run it on the dyno 15 times and have seen 24 PSI and made 700+ CRANK hp and 600 to the wheels. BTW I'm using the ebay 4 inch thick intercooler. you know the one that wont make more then 400 on a good day:mrgreen:

i have had a couple issues but nothing associated with the wastegate or blowoff.

Well I got my XS Power 50mm bov modeled off the Tial.

I am putting it on my 1jz build that is not ready yet. I had to try it out. I am using the real thing on my Z. Soo.. the ole switcharoo.

I got a little compressor surge where I had none before.

Went home and took them both apart. They are almost identical. But the spring was noticably stronger in the XS. Put the Tial spring in the xs and went for a ride. Could not tell the differance in the XSPower and the Tial. + It was $140 less expensive. And blue.

I am gonna get another spring for it or clip the 1 in it. But when I got my Tial I had to order it with the spring I wanted too.

I think I'll try a wastegate now.:)

Att: ChefTRD

Matt, I'm still in need of a inlet weld on V band flange for a HKS 60mm racing w/g, and was wondering if you could verify that the knock off 60mm w/g weld on V band flange will work on the HKS w/g?

I have a line on the knock off flange from a HZ member, just hoping you'd know for sure it will swap over....

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...