HybridZ

Anybody making motor mounts for the 7MGTE into 280Z??

Guest frdfocussvt

Ya, I like it alot and it does make alot of power but I don't want to mislead people and tell them it is the best swap or best motor. I bought a complete wrecked Supra for $400. If I had to spend $2k on a 7M drivetrain I would never have considered it. For what I initially spent I couldn't have done what I did as I didn't even have a good L motor in the car. On the street I couldn't use much more power but it would be nice to have a broader power band along with the same or a little more power but I need more CC's for that (turbo V8)

My 240z already has the mounts for a chevy v8, but I don't want all that torque down low. That's why I want to go for a turbo 6. I can't go 1jz because I want this to be legal in CA, 2jz is a bit expensive if I went with the 6speed, the engine by itself is doable, but the engine tranny package is rediculous. 7mgte is lookin pretty good right now. If you decide to go turbo v8 Clifton, feel free to make your 7mgte donation to me haha

if you want to go with the 2jz.. get an auto clip to save some cash.. or just an engine.. the 6 speeds price retarded. you can use a r154 from a mk3 supra and it will cost you a quarter of what it would cost to use the v160. just an idea. you can easily source the parts needed to mate an r154 to the 2jz.

you are right the 1jz never came to the us, the 1jz is more of a track/revvy motor and the 2j is more of the drag motor. QUOTE]

you know.. i read that alot.. used to believe it. but thats not only probably unfair.. its also untrue. 99% of road racers.. especially the kind who run Sm2 type cars like hybrid Z's.. are going to want the 2jz everytime over the 1jz on a road course. I had a 1jz mk3.. i had a 2jz mk4.. i helped build a 2jz mk3.. i had a 7m 260z.. i HAVE a 7m mk3 now (my 3rd) which will go 2jz after i blow up this 7m.. and i wont build another Z unless i can afford to put a 2jz in it. the 1jz might rev a little quicker stock.. but the factory turbos suck on them, and once you start going single.. the 1jz is rev is GONE. the 2.5 lags... bad. and it requires more boost and turbo than a 2jz to make the same power.. so compared to the 2jz.. you now have to have More Lag = same power. 2jz is going to have a much broader powerband. and it revs plenty quick for what people want. Leh King drove a mk4 around road atlanta in 1:33... thats CRAZY and that car was a street car. go read supraforums.. most of those 1jz bandwagon guys.. like i was.. are going 2jz now.

If you want a 2jz.. wait for it.. you will be much happier. im with clifton.. unless you just dont want to spend the money.. dont go 7m. I went with one for pretty much the same reason he did. i had a Z.. we worked on lots of third gen supras.. i had the complete drivetrain and all the parts just laying around waiting for me to do something with it.

There is a variant of the R154 box, longer rear, that puts the shifter further back, it is from the JDM JXZ100 Chaser,(1JZ Vvt,206Kw @6200,378Nm@2400,factory single turbo)

could also have been in the non Vvt JZX90,not sure

Bad news is it is not easy to find,

5speed R154 JZX100 chaser_thumb.jpg

i was just saying what i have learned and seen owning a 1jz mk3 and building a 2jz mk3 right now(which im only doing because i want to, and want to go for big power) and diven the 2jz mk4, and i agree with the quote below, the 1jz is more of a smoother motor and with the 2jz when the power comes in hold on, thats why i said that. the 1jz have only started gaining popularity in the us in the past 2 to 3 years, thats why you only started hearing alot about it now. most people do drag and not track, but dont get me wrong i like the 2jz easier to build power and everything from but i also like my 1j and it has plenty of torque. stock turbo's spool pretty good and and small to medium size turbo, but if you go larger turbo thats where they extra displacement on the 2jz comes in. and the bandwagon jumpers did the same thing going from the 7m to the 1jz , if you read you will also find that alot of them and doing that for the aftemarket support and ease to find parts. They are both great motors, decide what you want to do and chose your motor from the up to about 700-750 hp either motor will do, after there id say 2jz.

supraracer01 posted on supraforums and here is a link to the thread

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434808

ah this one again. i think the 1j and the 2j are amazing motors. but i do not belive that the 2j is superior to the 1j, if anything the 1j has a few things over the 2j. First off yes the 2j head was shown to flow 10% better than the 1j head, however when you take into account that the 2j has 17% more displacment.. plus the 1j head has a higher velocity than the 2j head. so basically the 1j head flows best on the 1j, and the 2j head flows best on the 2j, go figure Toyota engineering. Now the 1j has a better oiling system, the 1j revs much faster and smoother than the 2j, not to mention it has been dyno proven that a stock 1j can rev up to 10,500rpms with no issues, when the same guy tried it with a 2j, it got to 8500rpm and it spun a rod bearing. but fine you don t want to rev that high great, now stock for stock the 2j turbos can produce more hp than the stock 1j turbos even though they have been proven to be able to support 400+whp. The BS of a stock 2j having 40more hp than a 1j is bullshit. That is rated hp, hell over in japan the 2j was rated at 280hp and yet still ran the same times as the US version? odd. This is because of The Gentlemans agreement made by every japanese company in the late 80's stateing that you cannot rate your engine power over 280hp. For proof of this, a 1j with just a full exhaust will usually put down 300-310whp, roughly throwing the engines output to a 360-370hp range. with 1.5psi raise and just an exhaust your teling me that it gets a 100hp increase?? even a 7m with two cats cant even pull that off with a full exhaust. No it is more likely that the stock output rating on the 1j is closer to the 2j's output of 320hp. also the 1j has proven itself to hold just as much power stock as its big brother the 2j, 1200whp on the stock motor? sounds good to me. Personally i like the 2j, and was going to do a 2j bottom end with my swap, but after doing research i realized that the 1j is just as capable as the 2j for yes cheaper.

supraracer01

• 2 weeks later...

im not gonna argue this over and over like on SF. members of this community on the whole are a lot more intelligent then those guys.. especially in the mk3 section. im not saying im smarter than anyone.. but when i did my 1jz build years ago.. me and eric rhodes were getting all sorts of crap mail from people who had never even seen a 1jz car much less had any experience driving/ owning one. you did.. great. but when money is not an issue.. someone who wants more effecient speed, and a more efficient motor is going to take the 1jz all day long. all the head flow crap is stupid. look at it this way.. unless you think your smarter than toyota engineers.. you tell me why they choose the 2jz motor for thier flagship sports car when they were continuing to produce and improve the 1jz motor up untill the late ninetys.. like the single turbo version? I could make the pro-con arguments for a 1jz over a 7m... you can go either way.. but unless you cant afford it.. the 2jz is better choice in jz engines ANY day. find me a 400rwhp pump gas 18psi 1jz dyno where the car runs that sort of psi for longer than 6 months on the stock turbos without a problem.. you wont. ill find you tons of stock turbo 2jz doing it all day everyday for a year and if you find the graph.. it would have near the area under the curve the 2jz has. and what makes you say a 1jz runs smoother than a 2jz?

Don't know were they came up with the head warping stuff. I haven't warped one and I have used MLS head gaskets on a factory finished block and heads without problems.

factory torque specs to tighten the head are wrong in the factory manual.. it suppose to be 4 pds more then what is says.. if i remember correctly its suppose to be 77 pds at the end... but hey if it aint broke dont fix it

factory torque specs to tighten the head are wrong in the factory manual.. it suppose to be 4 pds more then what is says.. if i remember correctly its suppose to be 77 pds at the end... but hey if it aint broke dont fix it

I wouldn't say it's not wrong. More of a design issue. 7M's, 3VZ, early 5VZ, alot of 1FZ's all have head gasket problems, maybe some others I don't know about too. A higher torque will help but it they will leak again just as they do on 3VZ's even after Toyota replaced the head gaskets.

All the 7M failures I've seen pics of and have had were all on the exhaust side too.