HybridZ

Banned Users?

Zman0690

Guest buzztester

I know there are different types of bans I believe. A partial ban where you can access the site, just can't post. And permanent ban where they block your IP address and you can't access the site at all. Maybe the case here.

You are correct....i'm a supermod at 2 sites and vbulletin gives several options with a ban.

You can ban them for a day, a week, a month, a permanent ban also...i've never heard of a ban that allows to read and not post though, when an admin activates a ban, vbulletin locks out the IP addy....which prevents a login with that username...

the next time i go into the vbulletin control panel i'll investigate further, but i've never had to ban anyone yet, and that's a good thing.

edit:vb gives a lot of options as a supermod: you can ban them for way more days than i listed, however superadmins and admins have buttons to mass PM and change site skins, change options on the firewall, etc that supermods don't have..i just investigated.

Guest buzztester

over at proone, we have a piece of software (i assume it's built in to vb), which automatically detects multiple user names against their IP addy..so banned users automatically get red flagged if they try something silly like trying to change a username with the same IP addy.

this of course could be defeated with a user who uses multiple proxies as well as multiple usernames...lol.

i was just wondering if AE is showing up in the mod chat forum here?

if not, then shoot me a PM if you folks need it..or want it.

I can assure you folks that we've got lots of "stuff" at work to make sure those who get banned stay banned, and those who try to harm us get harmed... We've been doing this for a while and we have was of reaching out and touching those we want to leave us alone.

Mike

• 1 month later...

BANNED MEMBER

I have no idea who you're talking about nor what he/she did to get banned. I will say this. The admins on HZ own this house and they are giving us privileges to visit here. If you don't want to get banned NEVER back-talk one. Think about it. If someone you don't even know came to your house and argued with you... wouldn't you kick them out? I'm defending no one here. It's just the way things work.

That said... I've made my share of mistakes. And I'm still here.

I like to boil my boots before I chew on them!!

I guess I could enlighten you fellows on why Mike was banned, but I'm sure I'd get another slew of emails from him on why he's going to take me to court for slandering his name, or tell me what a bad guy I am and how everyone on HybridZ hates me for the abuse of my "power" :roll: or my "brand" of "justice"... :shock:

It's the internet. We have rules. Read them. Agree to abide by them, Or don't play.

Oh, And if you take medicine, TAKE it without alcohol, and follow your doctors orders, if you do take medicine. It's that simple. Not that this is a reflection on the member in question or any of his personal issues...

Mikelly :cool:

Ah the controversy. I've thought about asking but I've asked about others before and I thought I would stay out of it. It's just weird to see a seemingly productive user get banned and really have no explaination as to why. He did have a pretty good run however for only being here a year.... Almost 1,900 posts in right at a year is somewhat impressive.

Post count means nothing and when you go back and look at the content, it gets even worse. We had the individual in question start several flame wars that were deleted and he was advised about his conduct by at least FOUR of our admins on a fairly regular basis. I sent him 9 polite notes about his conduct before he was temporarely banned... However, his offline behavior was what got him permanently banned. Sending out a bunch of "hate" emails to the entire admin staff with content that was down right strange and unsettling will get you nowhere. He was initially banned for 30 days... That quickly became lifetime and not a SINGLE admin questioned it... :roll:

To his own admission, Mike has a number of personal issues he's trying to get a handle on. I hope he succeeds as I don't wish him anything bad. Hopefully meds and professional council will help him.

I know that some times you guys think we're doing things because we don't "like" someone. It's kinda hard to "hate" people you don't truly know... I personally have zero anymosity towards anyone here. We may disagree, but that's because we have different opinions. When we ban someone, we ban them because the rules have been repeatedly broken. Banning someone isn't something we take lightly, and it's a part of the job that is extremely difficult at times. However, to date it has not been personal, and should never be. We also discuss and get a "vote" on tough situations when it gets confusing on a given subject. We don't just "do it" because so and so is a jerk... Doesn't work like that gang.

Mikelly