HybridZ

vg build up, budget project

NorthWestZ31

then those people have no imaginations, or don't know how to make new motor mounts.

LOL!! you speaketh the truth my man..most S12 owners seem to be pretty young or mechincally UN-inclined from what ive noticed *shrug* actually, theres a guy somewhere back east selling a vg30et powered one atm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamNissan

Ya thats 100% correct but I see z31 200zr half cuts on ebay and at my local engine supplier. I should have added you would need a half cut but like he said anyway he wants a engine to practice a build with. A vg is good for that, hope to see in progress shots as you go.

well im looking for work at the moment but hopefully will be starting at this place called Fujimi pretty soon making stuff for intel and amd its good pay to. so i may end up buying a new vg30 to build on while i drive my old one. when it comes to the head i read that nissan had redone the water jackets on the late vg30e(t) motors. and ive read that the water jackets on the de(tt) motor were different and woudlnt line up on the head. my question is will any dohc head go onto the sohc motor? it would be simple to put the head on a motor that already bolts right up than to redo it all.

Most of the Nissan DOHC V6's I've seen use 8 head bolts whereas the VG30E(T) has 13... that would be difficult to fix alone but then you have the oil and water galleries. The only way to get a DOHC VG is to get a DOHC VG. VG30DE, VG30DET, VG30DETT, or you can get the compact version used in the 92-94 Maxima SE called the VE30DE. Its almost literally identical to the VG30DE internally, the heads are just much more compact. I uses the same rods and similar, if not the same pistons. The crank is also a forged unit with an 8 bolt output for the flywheel.

I would definitely like to see what one of those would do with some boost... there have been some Maxima guys that have boosted their VE's but the fwd tranny really limits potential. The only downside to them is they had VTC issues but I believe the issues occurred due to improper maintenance.

A honda is cheap and easy to work on compared to a vg engine? I think this person doesnt understand engines very well or has the slightest clue of the potential of his car. Bigger displacement = more power potential, so I would stick with the vg if i were you there buddy. peace.

the car needs alot of work and i need a car thats pretty much ready to go. im not really into the "fart can" hondas just so you all know. i know a bit more about hondas than nissans anyway. you guys say more power out of a vg motor, well yes thats true. but if you didnt read my post before im not out for big power. something i didnt post was that im a handling freak. and i have a feeling a 2nd gen Integra (DA6) will out handle a Z31. the t tops kind of screw up the cars handing. also im moving and the car has been sitting for over a year. its full of mold and has some electrial problems. the part for the gas lid / hatch to open is so rusted it doesnt even work anymore. (im sure thats an easy fix) but parts for a honda are cheaper. and easier to find. although i do want a project car to work on for later. i love nissans so later on (in a year or so) ill be looking for a 510 - sr20 project. i have some friends who can help me out with that swap, but for now i just need to get back on the road. and looking at this car sitting everyday isnt helping any.

yeah and rb will fit in a 510 because its shorter than an L6 which has been done and by a local oregonian at that. I believe he is in the 9's with his turbo l6 powered 510 and shooting for 8's. He hangs out mostly in the l6 section on this forum and usually posts about some new methanol setup hes working on, lol. what part of oregon are you in, maybe I can come save the z from ya? I live right on the border of washington and oregon up here in vancouver. peace.

yeah and rb will fit in a 510 because its shorter than an L6 which has been done and by a local oregonian at that. I believe he is in the 9's with his turbo l6 powered 510 and shooting for 8's. He hangs out mostly in the l6 section on this forum and usually posts about some new methanol setup hes working on, lol. what part of oregon are you in, maybe I can come save the z from ya? I live right on the border of washington and oregon up here in vancouver. peace.

the car is sitting in silverton right now. about a hours drive MAYBE from you. feel free to pm me if you want about it. all im asking is 300 bucks for the car.

its physically shorter than the L6 so I wouldnt go so far as to say theyre the same. Yes the cylinder head will bolt up and what not but mods still have to be done.

hey northwest, can you pm me some pics? I dont think I can expect much for 300 bucks but it is a bit of a haul for me. lemme know. peace.