HybridZ

how far is your z worth?

clsatt

this is my first post. don't hate me yet. I'm planning on buying my first z car shortly after tax season. (gotta get my refund) I plan on buying a 240 or a 260 and I dont plan on spending more than $5000 at pickup. my question is; is it worth it to fly to the dry states (from VA) to get one and attempt to drive it home, or does that sound like the start to some crappy 1940s novle?

I guess a better question would be; how far did you drive to get your z?

chris

YES! it is ALWAYS worth it to get a rust free (or at least the most rust free one you can find) Z than it is to try and repair rust.

Even if you had it shipped, youd still come out wayyyyyy ahead. shipping would run anywhere from $500 to $1000, and for $4000, you could find a very nice Z in CA or AZ.

I had a friend pick me up and we drove 4 miles to get a 75' in Grand Prairie Tx, then 2 months later I drove to Kansas, OMG IT TOOK FOREVER to get there for a 77', and about a month ago I drove a whopping 15 miles to get my 77' turbo swap car.. all this in the past 6 months.. damn this sickness...lol btw the 75 and 77 are for sale on here..lol.. out with the old and boosting with the new!

I drove about 1.5 hours away to LOOK at mine, then drove back 2 days later to pick it up, and drive it home with my buddy following me in my truck. All the fuel I spent between the truck and the Z (which didn't want to run properly the whole way back, poping chugging and blowing black smoke) came out to about $150... but Z's are not to abundant around here, and especially not driveable for $800! :wink: I'd have driven a lot further to be honest, and was willing to pay the $1000 asking price too.. And seeing as I didn't have the cash up front to buy one with uh.. well, less rust.. I took what I could get. I'm into it probly $10K now, but that's over 3 years. I just couldn't simply 'save up' for 3 years.. I would have bought something else anyway. :lol:

Frank 280ZX flew to MSA, then he, Xander, ianz, and my son loaded five S30 chassis & Incomplete vehicles (less taxes), along with his rust-free 280ZX-R for shipment to Europe.

Then they acid dipped the chassis.

Then they said "Find more cars for us, it's unreal, these things have absolutely NO rust---we have NEVER seen cars like this shape, even three year old BMW's have more rust than these chassis!"

So yeah, with the money you are willing to commit---you can find one damn nice rust-free car. And none of that hidden inside the A-Pillar condensation Rust either! Just stay away from Beach Cars. High Desert all the way!

I flew from Brisbane to Sydney, hired a hire car, drove one and a half hours and I had'nt even seen a picture of it yet, then I bought it on the spot and drove it home, a 12 hour drive. And I would (and probably will) do it again.:-D It was a '71 240.

My first 280z was here in town and it came to my house, my second 280z was given to me for free, and the third and one that is currently being restored I drove 20 hours non stop to get it, $500, no motor, no trans, NO RUST (haven't found anything major yet). And in all honestly, If i had the money, I would pick up a 77-78 out in SoCal because one, they still have to pass all that smog/emissions stuff and are therefore cheaper out there and in my experience they are tighter cars, the doors shut like butta baby!

3 times I drove atleast 70 minutes just to look at Z's they all had a fair deal of rust then one came up that looked from the pictures alot better rust wise so I sent my dad out to pick it up while I was at work (2 hours there two hours back)

I wont be surprised when i go get another Z