HybridZ

5.3 and 4l60e with t72 turbo swapp

well i finnally went and did it, i decided to put the baby ls1 with a turbo into my z a month before sez and now she won't be able to make it but i have been sourcing out parts and i am going to be ordering my mounts from johns cars tommarow and i hope to get everything into the car by the middle of this month, i got lucky and bought my hot pipes for my turbo from a guy on ls1tech.com and i also bought my tranny from someone on the same web site, a friend of mine gave me his old ls1 intake and i ordered my fuel rails today so they should be here some time next week. here is what my setup is goimg to look like

gm 5.3 liter with 4l60e all stock but if i get lucky, ls6 cam

ls1 intake with 55lb injectors

t72 turbonetics turbo 60mm hks wastegate

johns cars motor tranny mounts and driveshaft

3.70 limited slip

large front mounted intercooler 3" piping

3" exhaust from turbo back, i might go larger, we will see

well thats it for right now pics to come once engine is in the car

3.70 limited slip

3" exhaust from turbo back...

Wow, that's quite a combo! That turbo is almost bigger than you need :shock:

Davy

man i seems like this swap is getting popular. i too planned this starting about a year ago. slight diffrences though..

im running

garrett GT4082 turbo

fully aeromotive fuel system

44# injectors

3.90 R200

t56 trans

i made my own harness and am using hptunner to set up the computer.

iv already purchased almost all the engine and fuel system parts and so far so good. Iv also dont almost all of the metal work but im a school right now so it prolly wont be done until late summer (or atleast running). please post some pictures of your setup when things start moving along. i have heard of alot of people trying this set up but havent seen one complete. i dont mean to jack you thread but here are some pictures of the progress on my z

1972 240z with 2 X 6 frame rails. fully tig welded.

352959208_67c5cdc764.jpg

366746583_83c3326495.jpg

366746581_527046ffe9.jpg

366746579_ebe5960a67.jpg

352959223_29fe0a9116.jpg

and now...the powerhouse....(notice the A1000 fuel pump and regulator)

317659182_4c062311d4.jpg

374729410_e51b756135.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
well i finnally went and did it, i decided to put the baby ls1 with a turbo into my z a month before sez and now she won't be able to make it but i have been sourcing out parts and i am going to be ordering my mounts from johns cars tommarow and i hope to get everything into the car by the middle of this month, i got lucky and bought my hot pipes for my turbo from a guy on ls1tech.com and i also bought my tranny from someone on the same web site, a friend of mine gave me his old ls1 intake and i ordered my fuel rails today so they should be here some time next week. here is what my setup is goimg to look like

3.70 limited slip

3" exhaust from turbo back, i might go larger, we will see

well thats it for right now pics to come once engine is in the car

just wondering if you got the engine in or test fitted yet. id love to see some pictures of how it fits. spring break is coming up in about 3 weeks. i hope to atleast test fit my engine.

the cam will fit, no problems. the heads fit but the intake valve (or it might be exhuast) on the ls1 head is slightly larger. the valve will likley hit the bore. if you bore out the 5.3l or if you have a 6.0 block, it will work with no problems.

the two engine as so similar that they even share the same rods and crankshft.

well i got the motor into the car and i started to test fit everything and would'nt you know it the main part of the turbo stuff does not fit so now i am left with either cutting the hot pipes and making them fit or selling this stuff and just making my own oh well,

well i got the motor into the car and i started to test fit everything and would'nt you know it the main part of the turbo stuff does not fit so now i am left with either cutting the hot pipes and making them fit or selling this stuff and just making my own oh well,

Jamar, what exactly "does not fit." Most turbo installations are custom and have to be "fit" as they are installed. Give us more details and maybe someone can offer suggestions to help you. You are going to run a single turbo, which is, by definition, easier to install than a twin turbo system that both Hanns and Silicone boy are running. Details, man.

Davy

Jamar, what exactly "does not fit." Most turbo installations are custom and have to be "fit" as they are installed. Give us more details and maybe someone can offer suggestions to help you. You are going to run a single turbo, which is, by definition, easier to install than a twin turbo system that both Hanns and Silicone boy are running. Details, man.

Davy

What Davy said.. Also what type of manifolds are you using? 6.0 casts or customs? i'm really interested in this because I'm looking at a Single setup on my LS1 240z. Thanks

Tyson

i have a setup simular to the sts setup that is made for the camaro, in order to use the manifold i will have to cut the turbo flange off extend it about 3" and have the flange facing upwards so that the turbo sits on top and then have the downpipe run to the back and down near the fire wall which means that everything has to get ceramic coated so that the brake reservoir does not get too hot and then comes the passenger exhaust manifold which i have been researching and i think the best way to route this is down in front of the oil pan and up to the opening on the driver side exhaust manifold but i think once all that is worked out i think that the kit would be real easy to work with and i will post pics of what i am talking about later BY THE WAY I HAVE A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF MINE THAT DOES TUNING ON THE LS1 COMPUTER AND IF YOU GUYS ARE INTERESTED IN GETTING A TUNE OR GETTING STUFF DELETED FROM YOUR PCM I WILL ASK HIM IF ITS OK TO POST HIS NUMBER ON THE SITE AND AS YOU KNOW THAT THE LS1 WAS TUNED FAT FROM THE FACTORY SO THAT PEOPLE WOULD NOT BLOW THIER MOTORS

Hmmm, I'm trying to visualize what you are describing and it's not easy. If the trurbo is on the passenger side and you need more room, consider removing the battery tray/supports to gain more room. The turbo will sit on top of an inverted exhaust manifold, correct??

Davy