HybridZ

Speed and performance for 5k or less?

MusPuppis

Ok, I'm in the market for a new car, or will be come the end of February anyway, My budget looks to be abut 4500-5000$ dollars. I could swing a small payment (sub 200$) if it came to it but its not something I like the idea of, so really, 5k is tops.

What would you all recommend that falls in this price range and packs the most punch for the dollar? My criteria are as follows: It needs to be fast out of the box, stock power, I cant get in to a huge project as this will be a DD for the most part. I dont mind to buy something for less than my budget and put some money in to the engine though, that doesnt bother me at all, I just cant invest in a motor swap thing thats gonna take me 3 months to finish. It needs to be a 5/6 speed. It needs to look good and be as new as humanly possible, 90+.

Ive been looking a Tran-Am's 95-97 or so (they changed the ignition or something in 95.. its supposed to be largely preferred over the 94 models) they seem to fall about in price range and pack quite a punch for the money spent, about a flat 14 stock, respond stupid well to mods and look great.

I've also been looking at the 1st gen DSM's. Can be had for half my asking price and you can really do a lot with them. 13's arent a stretch at all if I had 2.5k-ish to put back in to the car. They suffer from being.. well, ugly though. not bad, but not the eye catcher a trans-am is.

The purpose of this car will be.. umm. well, to be beat on. Something I can have alot of fun in, 1/4 mile, I want to auto-x, just a general fun car. It will be receiving some 'show' mods to the tune of a nice paint job that will be a little over done on purpose, shaved this' and that's.. The car will act as both toy and billboard for the work I can do.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I dont know what route I'll be going but I'd like to see what everyone here thinks and recommends!

Guest TeamNissan
Miata's = amazing..

best car i have ever driven.. if only they had more power...

but handeling wise.. its a dream even stock

and MPG! man oh man!

Ya, I agree, drop a turbo or sc kit on it and its amazing.

RX-7's are out.. I dont know rotary motors and I dont want to learn, lol. I have bbbaaadddd dreams about seals and ♥♥♥♥ that spins and gaskets and stuff..

Crotch rocket got some SERIOUS thought for a while but this will likely be my only vehicle for a while.. so a bike in winter as my only transportation isnt the best idea.. Though goodness I want a GSX 750..

Miata's have crossed my mind before and Im doing research now based on suggestions. I dont think I'll be able to pull it off though, its looking like a Miata cant be had (thats worth a damn) for under about 2.5k and the turbo kits I'm pricing look to start around 1.6k for an ultra cheapy, but the more complete kits with I/C ecu/engine management, etc are around 3k-ish, its dancing on the absolute upper limit of my budget, which negates any room for error, over cost or general maintenance and a stock Miata, while amazing, is simply slow, and I cant handle any more slow cars, haha.

Looking around at Z31's now. I hadnt thought of them.