HybridZ

Cast Iron test?

Techtron

Hey guys,

I want to weld 3/8'' flat plate to the tops of my axel stands but I cant tell if they are cast iron or cast steel. You can see they are definetly cast something. MIG bead sticks to it and wont knock off with a hammer. Is there a way to tell if something is cast iron? Thanks!

Guest TeamNissan

I'm sure there is a "real" way but I would take a test piece and hit it hard with a hammer. Cast iron is very brittle due to high carbon content and will chip or shatter if hit hard, If it dents or bends at all its steel.

You can also tell them apart by ear, steel if tapped with say a screw driver is much higher in pitch then iron.

Hope that helps.

I'm going to guess that they are cast iron. I would just weld it on there and hit it with a hammer to make sure it held.

The only way it would be an issue would be if you were applying a big non-linear load to the axel stand. I think there would be other problems first.

Its not the best idea to make a structural weld to cast iron using typical methods. You can braze to cast iron or weld using a high nickel rod. Standard mig wire will make the parts stick together, but cracking is usually a problem. One way to tell weather it is cast iron or cast steel is to go at it with a drill bit. Steel will give you nice ribbons off the bit, iron will give you small chips and dust. Check out the Hobart Welding website forum and do a search for CAST IRON. there is tons of info there. If you must weld cast iron, preheating and slowcooling is a must.