HybridZ

3.4L L28 stroker

defrag010

Thanks for the update.  My engine builder recently completed making some mandrel adapter rings which, as I understand it, will be used to locate/hold the block while they bore it out..  We are going to bore both an L28 and an LD28.  With the L28, we're going to go to something like 92 mm (I forget precisely the number).  We are trying to remove all of the bore so we can examine the thickness of the deck and the bottom shelf of the bores.  This is just to provide any information that may be helpful with regard to liner design.  

With the LD28, we'll try to go to 89 mm, but given others experiences that we know of here in the states, we aren't giving that a high percentage of success. This is why I find your information so intriguing.  Anyway, if upon examination of the L28 bored out we see there is still promise with using a wet liner, then if we break through the LD28, we'll keep going until the bore is gone on that one also.  Then we'll have to see if we can come up with a final design of the wet liners.  

Thanks again for the info.  I wish I had your block.   :cool:  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the pics.  Your block is a V57 casting...  which has external ribbing.  You have a completely different animal there than the LD28 that came to the states.  

I found this image of a V07 block in another hybridz thread.  Very different even just looking at the exterior, if I am seeing this right.

Regarding uploading pics, look on the bottom right of the blank post area for the next post in the thread and you should see a button labeled "more reply options".  If you click that, you will get more functionality exposed including the "choose files" to upload option.

Maybe a group buy of V57 blocks from you is in order!

Edited by inline6

Thanks for the upload lesson. I have attached a picture to test. ;)   If it doesn't appear... I'm still retarded.

Ok, it appears that it has worked. The caption for this picture, in case anyone hasn't read the kak previously is this. Testing the rod clearance in my 89mm x 92mm stroke LD28 block.

Seriously considering stretching it to 93mm stroke. Would require further trimming of the piston crown. 94mm is totally possible but another piston with a compression height of around 31mm would be required. To take 3mm off the top of a KA24 would be pushing it. a 2.5mm trim and a 2mm gasket would get it there too. That will give a genuine 3.5l (3508.72cc)

Bear in mind this is with the std 89mm piston. 89.5mm will bump to 3588cc and for those with nerves of steel (and deep pockets) a 90mm cut will deliver 3588cc.

post-37179-0-20060100-1461598927_thumb.jpg

Edited by Speedtripper

Ok, so you have a friend who can source these blocks?  I am seriously interested in obtaining one.  And I might be able to get others interested in a group buy.  

The V57 block never came the the US from what I can tell.  Looks like it might be the version that was used for the factory supplied LD28T (turbo) as well as some industrial and marine applications. 

Garrett  

Edited by inline6

..Looks like it might be the version that was used for the factory supplied LD28T (turbo) as well as some industrial and marine applications...

...I found this image of a V07 block in another hybridz thread. Very different even just looking at the exterior, if I am seeing this right...

Not my photo, but my Photobucket account (Rayaapp2's photo/vehicle/cat). If anybody does import any of these blocks, and just happens to get an oil pan like the one pictured (winged/rear sump) I would be interested in buying it. Assuming of course, you don't use it yourself...

In to see the stroker progress too, so please excuse the shameless plug!

Not my photo, but my Photobucket account (Rayaapp2's photo/vehicle/cat). If anybody does import any of these blocks, and just happens to get an oil pan like the one pictured (winged/rear sump) I would be interested in buying it. Assuming of course, you don't use it yourself...

In to see the stroker progress too, so please excuse the shameless plug!

I sold a pan like that when I parted out a V07 a while back.  I would think it wouldn't be "too hard" to find.  I'll keep an eye out.  Sorry if anyone is annoyed with the digression.  We can move the theads for getting the V57 blocks to another thread?

Edited by inline6

Update...

It appears that I have been a really bad friend! My mate sold his farm a couple of years back and I just found out. He is over 700mls away so I can be excused for that. I spoke to the new owner, and all surplus "junk" was removed when they bought. They do have a Nissan patrol with a LD28 for sale, but cannot seriously consider that option to just part out a block and a crank.  Apparently, the V57 was not an official import, but a number of these motors were brought in for conversions in Land Rovers. The net is littered with people talking about this conversion, but the posts are generally 5+ years old. I will post a couple of ads on some of the local 4x4 forums to see if I get any bites.

@WhitleyTune, yes the idea is to drill out the head to accommodate the larger bolts. Ran it by an engineering shop and they weren't too concerned.

That much overbore is going to make the cylinder walls too thin I think. Hell the 89mm required for a 3.1L stroker make the walls extremely thin.

Yep, lots of core shifts with those blocks, checking wall thickness is essential if serious.

Apparently, the V57 was not an official import, but a number of these motors were brought in for conversions in Land Rovers. The net is littered with people talking about this conversion, but the posts are generally 5+ years old. I will post a couple of ads on some of the local 4x4 forums to see if I get any bites.

I have some questions about your block.  Can you tell if the front three and back three cylinders are siamesed?  That is, are there no coolant passages between 1 or 2 or 3 and none between 4 and 5 and 6?  Instead of separated/isolated castings for each cylinder, is  each set of three connected/contiguous?  And by contrast, there are cooling passages between cylinders 3 and 4?

Could you post some more pictures of it when you get a chance?  Front, back, and the two sides?

The pistons you have mocked up are 89 mm diameter?

Garrett 

Edited by inline6

• 2 months later...

I just heard back from someone that a sonic test on a V57 block showed 3.7 mm of wall on a stock bore.  That's bad news for using a V57 block.  You seem to have the only block that has taken a 89 mm bore!

My brother in law just tested a v57 here in NZ and it was around 3.5-3.7mm wall. Bit disappointing as we were hoping to make 1 each. V57 motors are a bit more common in NZ.

Yes.  NZ is where I have been looking to source them.  Any chance your sonic tests aren't accurate? And just so we are on the same page, 85 mm is the stock bore, correct?  3.5 mm and the requirement to run no less than .120" inch wall thickness means you couldn't bore that block more than about .010" inches?  Just seems to fly in the face of logic that it could take so little.

Yes. NZ is where I have been looking to source them. Any chance your sonic tests aren't accurate? And just so we are on the same page, 85 mm is the stock bore, correct? 3.5 mm and the requirement to run no less than .120" inch wall thickness means you couldn't bore that block more than about .010" inches? Just seems to fly in the face of logic that it could take so little.

I'll take some photos today.

the block is a v57, crank still has v07 on it. maybe they just updated the block?

My brother in law got it from a mat who had a bunch of them as spares for some LD converted vehicle he has/had. So no history on its origins.

You can see from the photos that there is a large gap between the cylinders. there is a bit of wire between 1-2-3 and 4-5-6, must be from casting to keep the cores in line.

Also some photos of the crank next to a modified rb30 crank.(modified for another engine, but using as a test fit here)

now lots of photos cos every body loves photos - all photos have been halved in size. i can upload more detail if requested

please excuse the amateur photos, im an amateur

20160717_101706_zpsuawev4mm.jpg

20160717_101712_zpscfw4jtdk.jpg

20160717_101728_zpsntfajdb4.jpg

20160717_101805_zpsbgls0iv7.jpg

20160717_101844_zpsu4mv5s3u.jpg

20160717_101902_zpsgjhcyinv.jpg

20160717_101925_zpspnmxdojv.jpg

20160717_101931_zpstnyfthka.jpg

between 5-6

20160717_101939_zpsouky630d.jpg

between 4-5