HybridZ

The Primadonna Z Story - 56K

primadonna z

It's funny, I had never really thought the primadonna Z's were my style. I had always appreciated the skill and time that went into them but never got it, ya know?

After reading this, I really understand the love that went into these cars, and they almost appear different to me. I absolutely love them now, haha.

Anyway, good job and nice story.

Guest Primadonna Z Guru
Where did you mannage to get those rims? When i go to japan my uncles friends that have bosozuku cars run crazy ass lips and offsets one of the 240zg's i saw out there ran 14X10 i was like omg... and it had what looked to be a freakin -541165116161 offset.... can you point me in the right direction for deep dish wheels like the mesh ones you had on your z?

The Black car had 3 piece BBS Modular Racing Rims from that era. 15 x 10 front - 4 1/2 inner with 5 1/2 outer. The rears were 15 x 13 4 1/2 inner, 8 1/2 outer shod with Pirelli P7 tires 285/40 on the front and 345/35 on the rear.

The white car had 16" rims with cooling cones. The red car had 15" Gotti Wheels. Now I would run 17".

Guest Primadonna Z Guru
Someone help me out here, we make fun of ricers like this one:

http://www.mike.vcn.com/tmp/ricer_civic_2.jpg

http://www.mike.vcn.com/tmp/ricer_civic_1.jpg

I dont see much difference with the Prmidonna? Large excessive wings and bodywork, etc. Whats the difference?

In 1979 when I was 25 years old, I term "Ricer" or "Tuner" had not been established. So if I accidently helped start the trend I can honestly say "Dammit I'm Sorry". If I were to take a 240Z today the only thing I would carry over would be the extended windshield and the wingless whale tail. If you check out my Primadonna Z32 you'll notice it's about as anti-ricer as you can get. No wings, skirts, vertical doors or in other words "gimmicks". I would like to think of the Primadonna Z32 as "subdued excess". Think about it, try to design something outrageous and yet subtle at the same time. Not easy. Extreme and conservative that's the Primadonna Z32. Whether your 25 or 55 it's a style that works.

Guest Primadonna Z Guru
I've always liked the Prima Z's. Back when they were done the style was similar to 935's and other early GTP cars. That pic of the Honda is a joke, especially the angled plate. It looks as though is should be on the cartoon the Jetsons. I'm sure the wings on the P Z's were more for looks, similar to Countach's, but the body style is far from ricey.

The black one looks like it has Pantera tail lights. Anyone know what they were from?

I also saw the flared Z32 at MSA last year. Took a few pics of it.

It looks really nice.

These were two sets of '76 Capri Tail lights. Not something I would do again.

I'll be at the MSA again this year with the Primadonna Z32. I have made a lot of improvements since last year. Hope to meet you in person.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Man, it sure took me a long time to find someone who remembered this ride. I purchased an "info" pack on the Primodonna Z in 1982 or 83. I remember it was the yellow car with the front flipped up..1 piece front end. The rear tires were 345/35r15's (same size as the Lambo Countach) The pictures were exactly that...just snap shots mailed out with a price sheet. I think I paid like 15 bucks for the info pack. Although I believe the "manufacturer" was B&B Customs. I have been looking for B&B for years now off and on. Of course back then I was just graduating High School and had no money. I sure remember how professional looking the overall vehicle was. Sure would be a fun car today....Thanks for the memories...

Curt

Guest AS Design

WoW, impressive history I got to say. I currently have a customers Primadonna Z that I am making molds of to re-produce out of light weight Vacuum Bagged Carbon fiber. It's a unique ride I got to admit. Owner of Z (Alan).

Kind regards,

Albert S.

www.SoCalCarbon.com

Roger... I remember you calling me about a year ago regarding a project, and you told me the story of how you met Jack...

I think you should include it as a second volume. In my opinion, it was the better half of the story, where the friendship between you and Jack began.

I just love the fact that the car was built in an apartment complex parking lot by an amatuer with hand tools! That's awesome! When I first saw these cars in a Z book 10years ago I had assumed that they were built by a professional shop. I would have never guessed in a million years that some guy just built it out of his apartment!

• 5 months later...

That is very interresting. IT'd be nice to know what happened to the last PZ.

Is that Socal Carbon, making a kit? I imagine it would be interresting to know who would own the moulds then.

The PZ's really were ahead of their time. I imagine it would cost a lot more to make them today, than they cost to make in the Apt parking lot.

ANyone got details on the missing PZ? Vin? last known owner?

Guest Burnerdominator

Alright first im sorry for not posting in the intro thread first but this story made me register in the forum. I have seen the Red Z before. It was in minnesota about a decade and a half ago, But it was that car.

maybe its just me, but i have met jack atkinson and asked him to teach me how to fiberglass, i was very serious and willing to dedicate however much time he wanted me to. while speaking to him, he just ignored the fact that i was dedicated and treated me like a kid (mind you im still only 21, but in my career already), we exchanged phone numbers and i tried contacting him, he never returned a phone call and i felt that was very rude and inconsiderate of someone wanting to further themselves.

w/e, he is an AMAZING builder and fabricator, maybe not so good with people though.

Lloyd

• 1 month later...
Guest yojack1
maybe its just me, but i have met jack atkinson and asked him to teach me how to fiberglass, i was very serious and willing to dedicate however much time he wanted me to. while speaking to him, he just ignored the fact that i was dedicated and treated me like a kid (mind you im still only 21, but in my career already), we exchanged phone numbers and i tried contacting him, he never returned a phone call and i felt that was very rude and inconsiderate of someone wanting to further themselves.

w/e, he is an AMAZING builder and fabricator, maybe not so good with people though.

Lloyd

Out of the many people that I have talked to, it's the first time I have ever heard anyone acuse me of being rude and inconsiderate. I have no idea who Lloyd is. Possibly someone I have talked to at one of the many car shows that I have attended. I have always offered to help people learn some of the techniques that I have used to build my cars. Some take me up on it and 99% of the others don't. I'm not in any automotive or customizing business. I do not teach people how to fiberglass (since I am not a profressional) but I am more than happy to show them how I built my cars, but they have to come to my residence to do so.

Lloyd, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but I'm more than willing to help you like I would anyone else who loves cars. You can email me direct at yojack1@aol.com.

• 1 year later...

Just want to say I was on Ebay today looking around and the White Prima-Z is for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-Series-2-0F-3-240Z-PRIMADONNA-Z-2-3-JACK-ATKINSON-UNBELIEVABLE-FLA-/230498741938?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35aacbaeb2

Its an awesome car i just dont have 30k laying around to have it.

Chris