HybridZ

anyone buy the jegs roll cage yet?

I checked into it, $149 for the 8 point cage. But shipping to me is $89 plus $8 handling. I am thinking I will just buy the pipe bender from harbor freight for $100 and make my own. It says the tubing is notched on the jegs cage. Just curious if somebody bought one yet and could comment on the installation.

mobythevan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was looking into those myself, but a buddy of mine said the cage was made by the same people that he got his cage from (not for a Z) and the fit was not the greatest. I was told I would be better off paying $250 to get one custom done by a guy he knows that builds circle track cars. But this is just my experience, never saw one personally. Don't have the latest Jegs, but I know the Z isn't listed, you have to call and ask for the cage.

!M!

Most of the "pre-made" cages will require additional modifications to work. Guy at Jegs explained that they can't get the cuts EXACT since they don't have the car in house to test fit the tubes to... I don't think that 8 point price is bad INCLUDING shipping, based on some prices I have seen for installed cages that were hand made by chassis and racecar shops!

Good Luck!

Mike Kelly

ZF Racing LLC

Intelligent Suspension Solutions! :cool:

I ordered the 10 point cage for $199 and got hit for $99 shipping. Roadway Trucking lost 2/3's of the material which worked out to be a blessing, provided they pay my claim in a timely manner. I got the main hop and halo, but none of the straight tubing and they will refund all but $80. I'm glad they at least delivered the pieces with mutiple bends.

Anyway the pieces got in this weekend so I'll keep you posted on their fit.

You might consider going to "ArtMorrison.com" for $100 extra bones they send you a 2 page layout and you tell them the exact dimensions and angles and they will make it your way.

Was gonna go that way but cheaped out. In hindsight I'd have been done with the cage by now.

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda!

I didn't think about only being able to make ~30 degree bends with the harbor freight type. Good call. In 240z Turbo's pics of his roll cage, he doesn't show a pic of the overhead bar. The rest of the bars in his cage are straight or close to. Thats too bad because those benders are on sale for $70 right now. I think there may be other ways I can get a roll cage constructed with only 30 degree angles. Thats what I'll tell myself all the way to the hospital.

mobythevan

I just got my cage from Jeg's (they actually list one for the 2+2. Mine showed up with all the pieces, but their layout/instruction sheet is kinda lacking; namely since it wasn't there.

I called and they faxed me a sheet that will supposedly help, but all it has is a small pic of the cage, and it says this diameter tubing is for primary stuff, this diameter is for everything else--I coulda saved myself 5 minutes out of my life by not bothering to call.

We're gonna try and get installed within the next month or so, when it's done, I'll put up pics and opinions.

Dewzenol,

$250 is for having the whole cage done by someone that's a friend of a buddy of mine and he builds chassis for circle track cars, so he can whip a nice one up in no time flat and do it for cheap. I would say for an 8 point cage you're looking at $300+, but you have to take into account how good the person is that is doing it and are they worth the money. I have seen some cages done really badly and the person that installed it charged a small fortune. If you want to get one done, ask around first to find out who is reputable then ask to see thier work. If the work is top notch and the they don't charge an arm and a leg, go for it. Just my .02

!M!

i have the JEGS 6 point in my car. only cutting was trimming pieces to length. i guess if anyone needs i can take a few pics. you guys must have a good source for cages if you have not jumped on the cage from jegs. around here the cheapest i could find anyone to do a 6 point was 1,500!!! and a wait of 4-7 months. i thought the kit was very good, no instructions but it is really self explanatory. i just had my NHRA rule book to make sure we followed their BS.

Autopower is supposed to of have a car they built there cages to but not sure. i think the guy at art morrison refferred me to them. havent bought anything yet so cant say but they are a nother source for cages, A bit expensive though.

it was either AM or chassis engineering who refered me

• 4 years later...

Crap...

I'd consider one of three ways to go...

Custom cage to fit the cage to you and the car.

Buy a real tubing bender (not a harnor freight unit) for $400 and bend your own.

Buy an autopower cage through IO Port racing and call it a day!

Mike

I agree with Mikelly, but $400 won't do it IME. With the stand, two extra sets of dies, the bender, the degree ring, and a good notcher, I spent $1400. But I bought the HD bender for 2" tube and the extra die sets, so you can get out for about $1000. Mine is a ProTools bender and I bought the Pro Notcher as well. http://www.pro-tools.com they have the standard 105 bender package for $635. Shipping was ~$100 on mine.

They offer free instructions on building one of their benders that uses a hydraulic jack. They sell the bender complete for $495 W/out a die. This might be possible to do for $300 and the Harbor Freight Notcher with a couple of bi-metal hole saws for another $50.

If you don't have a welder, figure another $750 for a 230v MIG and gas bottle.

If you are planning on ever doing more than one cage, this is the only way to go. But if you are only doing one, it is probably cheaper to pay somebody to do it. My interest lies more in doing the work myself, but you make the call!

I paid 600 bucks for a shop to build/install a 6 point cage in my Z. They were going to do a 10 point for the same price but I stopped them. I drive mine on the street with no helmet. A 10 point could get you killed rather than save you on the street.

If mine was a track car only I would have gone 10 point but it is a street/track car. What ever you do do not skimp/cut corners on the cage as it is your life and you only have one to give.

Mike

Just as an update to this thread, I bought and installed the S&W racecars cage/roll bar system, 8 point. It was something like $180 with shipping. I had my brother weld it in since he is certified. I looked into pipe benders for my 34 pontiac project and they are indeed $1400 with a few dies for one that can do a cage type job. I was very happy with the S&W setup, but I am easy to please. At the time I made this thread I was very naive on a lot of points, and I am still am on a lot of points :). I'll give you the Katman response to save him the time, if you want a roll cage in your car to make it look cool buy the S&W or JEGS, otherwise if you want one for racing or to really save your life have a shop install a certified cage.

8239rollcage2.jpg

8239rollcage1.jpg

I really think Austin aka 240hoke did one hell of a job with that S&W kit. Here's his webpage: http://www.geocities.com/projectzt/

He basically used the hoop, then figured the rest out for himself. The main detriment in using that kit is that the tubing is thicker and heavier than necessary for road racing. I think it meets drag requirements, which for whatever reason are more strict about tubing thickness than roadracing.