HybridZ

Purist encounter! Quick, run away!

veritech-z

So my encounter started out innocently enough: I was trading in a stack of records that my parents left me when they moved at a local used record store. The owner noticed my Datsun sweatshirt that I was wearing, and tentatively asked what kind of Datsun guy I was. I proceeded to tell him about my 280, and he started talking about his 71 240z, and how he was the original owner. So I bit, and asked him The Question: "So is it stock?" Then he proceeded to tell me about how it was stock interior/exterior, but he's got Panasports and coilovers and a Rebello stroker with an "83 or 84" five speed. Oh, and a 4.11 lsd rear end. "All without drilling any holes" to which I replied: "You've got coilovers and didn't have to section your struts?" Then he had to back pedal and tell me how he just meant on the unibody. How he wanted it so that he could put it all back to stock if he chose. Then he was telling me how he had his SUs bored out to 45mm, and I was asking if it wouldn't have been easier to just use the Jag 2" SUs...then we started talking about mine a little bit, and I was saying that I was planning to use a 350, and he was all like "If you aren't going to use a Z engine, then you shouldn't call it a Z". Then he started talking about the "RB2600" he was thinking of putting in. This is where it got good. I suggested he check out Hybridz, and he says: "Is that that guy.....Mike in Virginia? I've had a few run-ins with him, and we just didn't see eye to eye...I'm kind of a Purist, and I just didn't agree with him." Mikelly, your reputation preceeds you.

"never argue with idiots they drag you down to thier level and beat you with greater experiance there"

I have similar experiance with corvette guys that think ANY MODS on a CORVETTE are WRONG.

I usually just ignore them......

" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"

"When you can come out of a corner and lay black streaks from the exit of that corner until you need to brake for the entrance to the next corner, then you have enough power" Mark Donahue

Haha! So the guy had a run in with Mikelly? That's funny :D He won't forget it. You shouldn't have invited him here, Max, because we're only open minded to open-mindedness :mrgreen:

Purists are funny; this one sounds like a "Nissan only" purist, which are more tolerable than your 'reverse osmosis and distilled' purist. The latter me no likey, but they do pay out the nose for stock parts :2thumbs:

Davy

Oh well, what can I say? We have a goal for how this site is run. Those who don 't agree and then begin down a path of argument and debate, well they tend to end up on the losing end of the stick... And what's worse is it doesn't have to be like that... All it takes is someone THINKING before they respond to someone with "administrator" attached to their name... It happens on every board. It also helps when people read the rules, or take a conflict OFFLINE... We don't "try" to hammer people, but we're also going to run this board the way we, the sr. staff have envisioned... Those who don't want to comply need not apply... Simple as that.

Mike

MIKE... Okay here I am $crewing myself again. You guys are the bosses and that's the way it SHOULD be. Still... "argument and debate" are what made this coutry great... made us what we are, no? Are we losers because we speak up... say what we think? YOU BET!! We lose BIG TIME!! If I tell you that you're WRONG, that is my right. AND you will consequently kick me off your website. After all... it is YOUR website. AND just as if you come to my home and argue with me... I'll send you on your way. Well... anyway... I think YOU ADMINS ARE THE BEST. BUT... If I disagree with you... then so-be-it.

Oh well, what can I say? We have a goal for how this site is run. Those who don 't agree and then begin down a path of argument and debate, well they tend to end up on the losing end of the stick... And what's worse is it doesn't have to be like that... All it takes is someone THINKING before they respond to someone with "administrator" attached to their name... It happens on every board. It also helps when people read the rules, or take a conflict OFFLINE... We don't "try" to hammer people, but we're also going to run this board the way we, the sr. staff have envisioned... Those who don't want to comply need not apply... Simple as that.

Mike

Why do you always seem to argue the wrong point Mike? Mike Kelly isn't saying that you can't disagree with an admin or anyone else. That happens quite frequently. It's not "These10guysaregoingtotellyouhowitis.com". The "goal for the site" that Mike Kelly spoke of is what they argue about. They argue that if it isn't Nissan it shouldn't be in a Z car, or that V8's are old technology, or that any variation from stock is some kind of sin. We don't accept that kind of closed-mindedness here. Has nothing to do with disagreeing with the admins in a general sense.

Jon, I didn't know that about the coilovers, but if he knew it, that was his chance to say so. To his credit though, he was really polite the whole time, he listened while I told him about my car and didn't jump on me for expressing interest in the V-8 (though I suspect this is because I'm driving a 280 and not a 240...these are the types of guys that think they stopped making Z's after 73). I got the impression that his run in with Mikelly happened in "real life" though I didn't ask him for specifics. Didn't get his name either, but his car is green he said. I told him I didn't think I'd seen it around, and he said I wouldn't have because it rarely leaves the garage. I don't know, he seemed nice enough, but I don't think I'd be interested in spending much time with him.

MIKE... Okay here I am $crewing myself again. You guys are the bosses and that's the way it SHOULD be. Still... "argument and debate" are what made this coutry great... made us what we are, no? Are we losers because we speak up... say what we think? YOU BET!! We lose BIG TIME!! If I tell you that you're WRONG, that is my right. AND you will consequently kick me off your website. After all... it is YOUR website. AND just as if you come to my home and argue with me... I'll send you on your way. Well... anyway... I think YOU ADMINS ARE THE BEST. BUT... If I disagree with you... then so-be-it.

This is an excellent case in point... Mike, I've chatted repeatedly with you offline and I don't understand why you seem to continue sticking your foot in your mouth. You do it and then apologize profusely offline, and then do it again. I'm pretty sure that you will never "get it" and that at some point someone will ban you... It's just a matter of time. :roll:

Vertech, If he met me face to face and had a run in with me, then he likely got the same dose that he'd have gotten online. I am who I am in real life, as I am on this board. So if he got his panties in a bunch because he made a stupid comment or tried to lay claim to some BS that didn't make since and I called him on it and told him what I thought, Oh well, so be it... It isn't the first time I've broken someone's rice bowl and it damned sure won't be the last. I've repeatedly told people on this board to be who you really are here. You might just meet some of us some day and find yourself embarrassed when we bring up things that happened online.

Mikelly

Thoughts of "Mad" Mike Taylor come to mind.

The first absolute FIRST Z event I ever attended I ran into Mike and was telling him about my 240Z 8. He told me I bastardized the car blah blah blah. I told him my goal with the car was MAX performance and the little I-6 wasn't cutting it. (yes I was drinking BTW) After some arm waving and finger pointing on my part, he kinda came around to the v-8 way of thinking (perhaps it was the alcohol? don't know if he drinks or not, don't remember if he was drinking but I was ha-ha)

Fast forward to breakfast where he encountered "spitfire" er Lisa my wife... He began his jeering session about the v-8 car and me. Well being a bit hung over and not wanting to give in I just ignored it, I ignored it. Lisa on the other hand, well lets just say Mike probably doesn't want to have a similar encounter with her again.

It was all in great fun though, never saw Mike at another BransonZfest since, hmmm maybe I should send him a picute of the Scarab....

No offense intended here guys... I'm just dis-ing myself and no one else. It's nice to know that my attempts at making a complete a$$ of myself have succeeded. To be compared with other a-holes is... what... enlightening??:icon56: Lack of sleep and mixing Rx w/ alcohol to try and get that sleep just fux me up:shock: I'm sorry. Can anyone forgive a burnt out old pudgy gripey rotten rat-fink bastage stinkin' a-hole SOB like me??:mrgreen: