HybridZ

what is the deal with clear lights?

DrEaM

I used those lenses to make my projector bi-xenon headlights. The acutal housing is a total piece of junk. They are not projectors, they just have a lense in the middle that gives it a projector look. There is a reason they are only $30 for a pair of them...

I cut mine up and just used the 7" ring to make my headlights. I smashed the glass out and cut the back off of them and then fiberglassed in some projectors from an FX35. There is a thread in this forum from like 3 months ago when I was making them.

Putting xenon bulbs in these will scatter light all over the place and it is actually illegal to do so. You will blind oncoming traffic!

Guy

Guest Icebox240z

thanks for the interesting website captFurious, i bookmarked it for future reference, i like the info they have contained on there.

And as far as lenses go, yeah, 'diamond cut' crystal clear lenses are sexy as hell, but it seem to me like they would have a harder time properly projecting light, which is why the manufactures of those lamps have to compensate by attempting to make the reflector's more angled, and less parabolic.

I've never been a fan of those super white and blue headlights. everytime I had to pass a car with them, I was blinded by them for several seconds, which is EXTREMELY dangerous driving through forests with no lights but your own.

Yellow spectrum lights are much easier on the eyes, and you can still see just as much. the difference is your brain thinks it's much brighter, even though you still have the same visual range.

I have been considering fabricating some "projector headlights" using a set of universal projector foglights kind of like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVERSAL-P1S-CLEAR-PROJECTOR-FOG-LIGHTS-FOGLIGHT-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33709QQihZ011QQitemZ320154480736QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW and a set of HIDs to match like these: http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=145

I have found some good resources on HID technology and color temperature on this page: http://www.xenondepot.com/htec.php (See the paragraph under "Temperature")

I figured that I could fabricate the housings for these lights with fiberglass to fit the projectors in to the stock headlight location. I was also not sure if I would have to fabricate a piece (metal mabye?) to block the light from where it's not supposed to go. One thing that I do not know is if the factory projector headlights are designed so they do not project in unwanted directions) But that is something that I will have to experiment with.

In my experience, the "Autopal" brand of "diamond cut" headlamps like you find on ebay work well when you use proper clear bulbs. They have a nice cutoff in their beam pattern. I have also bought a set of "diamond cut" lights that were not Autopal, and they are AWFUL. Part of this is because of the blue bulbs they sent with them, which are downright dangerous in their inability to light the road, and partially because the pattern is just screwed up. But like I said, I'm very happy with the Autopal set. My $.02.

Here's what I did with mine. I dont know if they are autopal or not but I did get them off e-bay last yr. Actually a buddy of mine bought them for his porsche 928. They were sold to fit a mustang. I had a set I purchased for my car (83 zx) but they didnt have the "angel eye" and they didnt fit worth a damn. Also,like some one already said in this thread, they cracked on me!! So, I took this set and took out the little blue bulbs (each light has two of 'em) that came with the lights and installed two blue leds in each little rubber that the original bulbs were in. So thats 4 leds in each light. But that wasn't enough for me. I then drilled two holes in each light on the outer shell and then drilled a smaller one into the inner case and put two more led's. If you look real close on the pic with the lights on, you can see them to the left and right of center. The led's are hooked up to the running lights so I can turn them on alone or with the headlights.

These are very bright blue but hard to get a picture of. In person you can see them from almost two blocks away with just the runners on.

Almost forgot! I'm installing two more on top and bottom of each light for a grand total of 10led's in each light! Will post more pics when done.

ZX 027_thumb.jpg

ZX 025_thumb.jpg

ZX 028_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Bringing up an old thread but..... I just installed a set of "diamond cut" reflector lamps, with clear lenses in my '76. They came with a parts car I bought. These dont look like the $5 ebay ones, they seem to be good quality, but no manufacture stamp anywhere on them. Both my Hellas had cracked lenses, and being the cheap b'tard that I am..... Anyway, they have the blue looking bulbs, I think they are 90/110W. The look bright as $hit when looking at them, but on the road they are awfull, the beam is not direct, and theres stray light going everywhere, cant see a thing. I'm going to try them with a good set of silverstar bulbs before I toss them in the recycle bin. The blue bulbs are junk, even at the higher wattage. I do have relays and updated wiring BTW. IMO, the Hella H4's, with reflector lenses, loaded with 65/90W bulbs is the best light you can get short of HID, and they dont blind oncoming traffic even with the high watt bulbs. Never had a problem with LEO's running that setup either. The diamond cut reflectors sure look cool tho.... Other than the Hellas, and Autopal,anyone know of another good H4 lamp housing?

Guest koji187
Those "seem" ot be better from what I have seem and installed (friends and other people, buy these off of ebay and ask me to install). (reffering to original post) Those appear to have a center projector lense, which most don't. I would question the quality of the glass though. Those bulbs can get mighty hot and cause the glass to crack. Has happend to a few of the people that I have installed for.

For what I'm doing, I need a HID kit for a Yamaha R6 (2003). BTW for those that remembered me posting something about this a while ago, I have it projecting properly now (many many many hours of frustration :cry2::-D). I'm going to have to re-adjust them when I can finally get started on fabbing the body work.:icon10:

AK-Z is that your z and ae86? I have a 72 z and an 85 gt-s hatch :) good taste in cars my friend