HybridZ

280zx 5.0 Engine mounts are here!

1979 500zx

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been lurking around this forum for a few months. I now have a '75 280 and have begun a swap with a '91 merc 302 w/aod tranny. I purchased an "Alsil" unit and notched the rear of steering mount crossmember. I found that a pair of 1970 mustang 302 Boss motor mounts allow the pan to clear both, set the engine back close to the firewall and low enough to clear the hood (also cut out the latch mech. and moved brake lines). It looks as though the steering shaft might fit normally if I notch the left motor mount a little for clearance. The drive shaft will be shortened to 23.5" with an adapter to fit the Datsun diff flange. So far so good. Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to thank you guys for all this good info. I will continue the search so as to finish this car...just wanted to say"THIS FORUM IS AWESOME!":biggrin:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you guys read the article about the 5.0 into a z swap the guy there designed and has cad drawings for motor mount crossmember and rear crossmember for the tranny mount. They can be found here...http://www.lainefamily.com/240Z_V8_Conversion-files/240Z_Conversion_Mounting_The_Engine_and_Transmission.htm

I used his measurements but built mine out of 1 1/2" ERW pipe for the engine mount and 2 pcs of 1/4" plate edge welded together for the trans mount. These crossmember allow you to use any mounts you would like, i would definetly not recommend any kind of solid mounts. rubber mounts with a retaining cable or chain yes but not solid. About the only differences between the z and zx would be the inside width for the angles that ride on top of the frame.

• 2 months later...

Slyhog; I didn't see the cad drawings in the link you provided, I did see the crossmember, and it is exactly what I want, but need some drawings to get the angles, and measurements correct.

I don't currently have a car or available framerails to test, and measure, so I was going to fab up using the drawings. Thanks