HybridZ

280zx 5.0 Engine mounts are here!

1979 500zx

HRS is designing solid motor mounts for your 5.0 - 280zx swap

the first mounts will be available around the 26th of Feb, the mounts move the engine towards the passenger side and 1 1/2" from the Firewall. engine angles are not yet available, but ground clearance is AWESOME! Steering modification will be needed, but is simple with the addition of a u-joint and carrier bearing in the Steering shaft, pictures will be released AS SOON AS THE MOUNTS ARE AVAILABLE.

The trans mount will be available at a later date and will be designed for the T-5 transmission.

Cost for the high quality Engine mounts will be around $250.00 with shipping.

So how many people are interested out there?

P.S. the test mule for this build is a 1979 280zx with PB, Manual Steering, and a 5 speed.

The mounts are designed to allow the summit block hugger type headers to fit, and as you said they do move the engine toward the passenger side to allow clearance, and a slight weight distribution advantage. another great thing about them is you can use the stock trans cross-member and just use an adapter to get your T-5 to mount up. we should have the mounts completed this evening and i'll have pictures posted very soon.

Well it seems that the solid mounts were TOO solid, as the car was a nightmare to be in while running, the viabrations were so bad that the rearview mirror fell off...so its back to the drawing board to make a set of mounts that use the stock 280zx mounts, this should remedy the situation at least to the point where we can keep the mirrors on. some good news however the adapter bracket that was fabricated to use the 280zx crossmember to bolt the T-5 up worked great, its just a T shaped piece of 3/16 metal that bolts to the crossmember and then the trans. its a solid peice but i think when its used with the new mounts it will work great.

Hi Mr 1979 500zx,

It sounds like we are doing similar things at this time. I made a set of mounts that go onto the stock 280 mounts, they work good but with the postion of the engine (as low and aft as reasonably possible) ment i had to custom build a sump and headers. My project has somewhat 'slowed down' since other ♥♥♥♥ is eating up my time and i am waiting on parts (since november) from yankie land.

Anyway how did you tackle these issues, i would love to swap pics sometime

Cheers

I was doing the same thing, making mounts for a 5.0 swap into a 280zx. I had to stop when 2 family members died and the contents of 2 houses were stuffed into the garage i was working out of, and i started our z32 TT swap. Im interested in anything that will make my 5.0 swap easier. Please get these done, please please please please.

I moved the engine as far back as i could within reason, i had to extend the hole 1" in the trans tunnel to get the shifter out, as for the headers i just used the cheap summit brand block huggers and had to modify the steering with a ujoint and a carrier bearing. i have been told that 80's F150 manifolds fit without modifying the steering, although i nvr tried them. all the fabbing only took about 45-60 minutes...but i did spend alot longer R&Ding. the oil pan from the 86 GT 5.0 is a double sump, and the front sump is about 2.5-5mm off of the crossmember, close but not close enough for concern.

as for the jtr adjustable mounts, i was pretty sure they only worked for the SBC, also for the price of the JTR i could make 10 sets of my mounts.

Your reinventing the wheel here, JTR makes adjustable mounts for the ZX which are great, their shorty headers clear a power rack steering setup.

Unless you know something i dont, no JTR does not. This is the Ford V8 forum, we are talking about a Ford 5.0 302 swap here.

1979 500zx, post some pics of what you have already!

Just got back from cutting the new mounts, they should be done tomorrow after i get them all welded up, the measurements are from the bottom of the front sump to the top front corner of the cross member.

i know I'm guilty of not getting any pictures up yet, sorry, i just don't have enough time to find all of my camera cables and load them up, i will however try this week to get them posted.

I'm hoping i can get the car on the street in time for the upcoming Z meet at Reynolds!

• 3 weeks later...
any news on the mounts or templates?

Id like to know the same. My interior will be done soon and i need to get on the drivetrain asap. Id like something bolt in, but if 1979 500zx doesnt get back to us soon, ill just make my own which id hate to do.