HybridZ

Roll Cage Complete

Booztd 3

Guys

I picked the car up from the cage builder's on saturday. I am quite impressed with the work that was done. The car will be certified for 8.50 and slower ET's. The swingouts are fully removable and the T-tops are fully functional as well.

Rear Bars tied into main hoop

Roll_Cage_08.JPG

Drivers side kick panel, notice how the kick panels are still in place

Roll_Cage_10.JPG

Window net up

Roll_Cage_12.JPG

Drivers side swingout pin

Roll_Cage_13.JPG

Passenger Area, swingout pin, main hoop, and harness bar

Roll_Cage_14.JPG

Passenger swingout & pin

Roll_Cage_15.JPG

T-top and interior panel clearance

Roll_Cage_16.JPG

Passenger bar swung-out

Roll_Cage_17.JPG

I should be painting it on wednesday, and maybe start working on getting the rest of the interior back in

Whats the motor set up in the beast?

I went 11.2@124 last year in this car with the VG motor on pump gas and drag radials. I wanted to step up my game quite a bit and run a much larger turbo setup. The only way to accomplish this was to throw this bad boy in it

Motor_Install_06.JPG

If you go look into the RB Technical forum you'll find lots of pics of my setup...:mrgreen:

I went 11.2@124 last year in this car with the VG motor on pump gas and drag radials. I wanted to step up my game quite a bit and run a much larger turbo setup. The only way to accomplish this was to throw this bad boy in it

That'll do it bro....... its sure to be one haulin-a$$ Z32/26 :burnout:

Keep the great pics flowing....

is this thing going to hit 8.50 though?

now i know why you were inquiring about the 1000hp eagle rods, but i still think it's a bit of a hit or miss when choosing rods that are in direct competition with the rest of the big names associated with engines of this type of level.

so yah, what are you going to be doing to get to 8.50?

RIPS GTS4 R32 hits high 8's with the RB30 setup, and Exvitermini hits 8's as well with their R33. HKS is bangin 7's with their RB powered 240sx dragster that has since retired, i believe.

what's shakin?

what's shakin?

Th400.......rwd, much lighter......its doable. I said its cert'd for 8.50's becuse thats the step between 9.99 and faster. I doubt I'll make 8's, or even low 9's this year, but we'll see

11.49-10.0 and you need a 5 point roll bar

9.99-8.50 and you need a 6 point cage

8.50-7.50 and, well thats alot more ♥♥♥♥

To go faster than 135 you need a window net

To go faster than 150 you need a chute

• 2 weeks later...
Your missing two bars that are going to keep you from getting it certified. There needs to be diagonal bars fron the main hoop down to the tranny tunnel to be considered a NHRA legal 10 point. Other than that it looks real good.

I'm on page 87 of the NHRA Sport Compact rulebook and I do not see this rule outlined anywhere, if so could you please help me out with that?

Also, I have no idea why tying two diaganal bars into the transmission tunnel would help for any reason. The trans tunnel is pretty thin sheet metal and would provide no rigidity if stress was placed on those points

"Also, I have no idea why tying two diaganal bars into the transmission tunnel would help for any reason. The trans tunnel is pretty thin sheet metal and would provide no rigidity if stress was placed on those points"

Werd. I always thought the two diagonals to the tranny tunnel were a waste of tubing.

Structurally a diagonal in the plane of the main hoop from driver's head to passenger side bottom of main hoop would add much to the integrity of the rollover structure, but if the sanctioning body doesn't require then you decide whether it's needed or not. In road racing it would be.

I agree that the trans tunnel isn't the smartest place to brace to and I too don't really understand why the drag racers put bars there as a general statement, but in a Z the trans tunnel right above the diff crossmember is pretty heavily reinforced. There is a layer of heavier steel where the strap bolts into and this continues laterally through the control arm bushing mounts, a reinforcing plate on the underside of the trans tunnel, and the cargo deck area has a vertical reinforcing plate right on top of the trans tunnel inside the car.

That is some pretty nice work. Did the interior get burned in the process?

I recall the tough decisions around my roll cage design, there are soo many variations of the rules depending on what you are doing. With that said, there are certain features that are just too good to pass up. I think most organizations speak of some type of diagonal in the main hoop. It has been pretty well established that this bar is an important part of cage designs.

Some people add the diagonal as literally part of the main hoop. I think the tube has to be an un-cut tube all the way from the drivers head to the passenger floor. It looks like your horizontal seat-belt tube is in the way. There is a way around this problem.

Apillargussetsfront.jpg

I have seen many cages with the rear diagonal running from the drivers head to the passenger strut tower. Actually all of these seem to be Xs rather than one diagonal. Those tubes might be fairly easy to add without any extra work.

redbirdseatsback.jpg