HybridZ

Mini-tubbing with the IRS?

I have been searching for about a week and i'm unable to find out if my next project is doable. I am looking at mini-tubbing my z while still retaining the independant rear suspension. i don't think i will go the solid rear axle route if the irs can't work. the main objective is to install much wider rear tires, not for handling but simply for the look. yes, the bling factor. this is a street car only. my thoughts are to narrow the track using adjustable lower control arms and modify the weld-in camber plate install in order to compensate for a narrower track. i would also need to shorten the half shaft a bit as well as widening the inner wheelwell housing to make room for the wider tire. i would like to use a 335/35 tire. i'm sure this is far from an original idea and might have been done many times but i have not been able to find it searching. any advice would be much appreciated. thanks in advance!! if i am crazy, be gentle.... ha ha

The problem is the strut housing. Changing the distance from the hub to the strut would be alot of work.

If you mean to simply move the entire assembly inward I think you would totally mess up the suspension design. And would still require too much fabrication (moving strut towers, mustache bar mounts, LCA, ect)

thanks for replying vashonz, yes, that is what i had in mind. moving the entire strut assembly inboard a couple inches but not enough to change the location of the mustache bar. you do bring up a good point about screwing up the design but i'm not sure how much it would effect it by shortening the lca by an inch or two. maybe a suspension guru can answer that? thanks again!

I've thought about this alot. I know I am maxed out for tire and wheel in the stock wheel well without a flare (9's/275's) so I know you need about 2.5" more clearance in there.

I don't know how much you can shorten the half shafts. It would need to be atleast 2.5" to fit a 335. The next part may sound hack but it would work and it is just a thought that's been rolling around my head. I think it would be easier to get a spare strut, cut the one on the car off about 5" or so above the mount and mount the other one to the backside of the cut one. Bracing it would be easy. This way stock length lca's and halfshafts/cv's would still work. You would still need to move the inner fender and unibody frame rail in 2.5" inches along with the strut mount. I will either try this or flare it when the time comes, i don't really want a flare though.

clifton, that sounds like a great idea!!! i have been racking my brain for a week trying to come up with something..... good thinking! maybe it is hack, but it just may work. have you given much thought on how to attach the other strut? obviously it would be welded but to make it look "less hack".. ha ha.. i'm sure it could be made to look nice. i would like to hear more of your idea if possible. p.m. me if you would. thanks clifton!